• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil Gaiman on Sandman

11 posts in this topic

I've got a long commute each day and have been starting to listen to audio books instead of the same 10 songs they play over and over on the radio. After Eugenides "Middlesex" which was good and interesting, I just finished listening to "American Gods" by Gaiman which was also good but took a little bit to get into. I actually liked Middlesex slightly better than American Gods, but they are different books. Anyway, for those Sandman fans, found the author speaks on the last disc interesting also as he speaks a little about Sandman and thought I would let others (especially Sandman fans) know if they want to maybe look for it and check it out.

I liked Neverwhere too... but, my God, how many adaptations can be made from the same story??

Angels & Visitations had some great short stories too... many of which were reprinted in Smoke & Mirrors. Might be worth digging up if you haven't read that one yet.

I also dug Good Omens with Terry Pratchett (sp?), one of my favorites. Could not get into Anazi Boys though...

I'll 2nd that. Good Omens was laugh-out-loud funny before lol even existed. :)

Agreed. It was the first thing I ever had Gaiman sign!

I second the recommendation of "Smoke & Mirrors"--although I thought it was a straight paperback reprint of "Angels & Visitations." Uneven collection of short stories, articles, and poetry first collected in the late 90s--think it was his first book (after the co-written "Good Omens.")

Highly recommended.

I second the recommendation of "Smoke & Mirrors"--although I thought it was a straight paperback reprint of "Angels & Visitations." Uneven collection of short stories, articles, and poetry first collected in the late 90s--think it was his first book (after the co-written "Good Omens.")

Highly recommended.

there was a hardcover edition first. <3 HC!

I was working at Borders when this came out, and I remember recommending it to many people... after I read it, however, I went back to mostly recommending Good Omens. :)

A&V included a few stories not in S&M (hah!):

The Song of the Audience

Webs

Six to Six

Luther's Villanelle

The Case of Four & Twenty Blackbirds

Post-Mortem on Our Love

(I might have a couple of those wrong...)

S&M had a whole bunch of stuff not in A&V, although most of it had been (and certainly has been since) published elsewhere