• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Listing on CAF

96 posts in this topic

Does it bother anyone if people list stuff on CAF that they no longer own? I saw this today

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=585396&GSub=89933&GCat=35183&UCat=0

and noticed that another guy (Simon) has it listed in his CAF as well. Is it a big deal or no? I left a comment to the effect of "If you don't still own it, why is it in your CAF?" That comment got deleted pretty quickly. I know Bill Cox has a rule against listing stuff that you don't currently own but it isn't like he enforces it.

This has been discussed before on CAF. Some people view

sequential art as a trophy; and take pride in having owned the artwork.

I'm luke warm on the subject. If it is marked as "dearly departed", or

"Sold", something to that effect, it is not that annoying to me as, say,

someone who displays a movie poster, or a car they are proud of.

That bugs me to no end.

If it becomes an issue of Bandwith for Bill, then I say clean house

on the person displaying artwork no longer theirs.

Now there are artists on CAF who display their sold artwork in their gallery,

that is now owned by other collectors on CAF. I find this completely acceptable

because the artist is using that artwork as a portfolio piece, so-to-speak.

well I don't keep anything I have sold in my CAF.

If I sell an item, I'm happy to move the photo along with it so to speak.

Also, the person who bought it may not want people to know where it came from (if they didn't already)

rednalsram, I have movie posters in my CAF, and as a major poster collector and dealer, I'm happy to share the great posters I have. Of course, I only have a Superman serial poster and a Flash Gordon serial poster there, though I have meant to put up other posters of the thousands I have that are not comic related. Why do you find it annoying?? Are they hurting you?? Do they bother your eyes?? Why would they annoy you at all?

Someone sharing a great car with wild paint or a movie poster or a cool toy is only broadening the horizons for you..

Some people view

sequential art as a trophy; and take pride in having owned the artwork.

I take exception to this sentence. In fact, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I would point out that any artwork you currently own at some point you will not. If you do not sell it when you are old, you will most certainly not own it when you are dead. Your heirs will most likely sell it.... Should you not have any 'pride' of ownership now?? Because you will not own it later; does that mean it is only a 'trophy' to you? Or, perhaps we enjoy owning and looking at and appreciating the artwork that we have collected right now... and perhaps we even take pride in that. Actually, I take pride in looking out my back window on occassion when a masterful sunset fills up the SW sky here... do I own that sunset? I own the memory forever. I also own the memories of all the artwork whether fine or illustrative or comic that I have hung on my wall. Should I be ashamed of recounting pieces I used to own simply because I have let them live somewhere else? In my opinion, no. In as much as I would take pride in recalling to a neighbor the beautiful sunset view etched in memory from a week ago, so might I take a little pride in remembering some of the art that used to hang here. I don't see that as a bad thing and it doesn't denegrate any of my current or former pieces to 'trophy' status. I simply enjoy my time with them... and one day, I will still enjoy them when they hang on someone else's wall.

Claudio, this is a huge pet peeve of mine as well. Seeing the piece you linked to I know exactly what your talking about. You do a search for your favorite Artist/Title/Series and the same page pops up 3 times, or worse, once, but it is the sold/dearly departed/wishiwouldakeptit folder.

If you miss it so much, why was it sold? Needed the money? Yeah, me too. Thems the breaks. I've sold some art I wish I still had. The ones I really like I kept JPGs on my computer. So if I want to view/reminisce any piece, I have it on my computer, but it's not clogging up anyone else's search.

When I see a "sold/dearly departed/wishiwouldakeptit" folder I get one of the voices in my head saying in a mocking tone, "Look at me. I am an important collector because I once owned these pieces. Sure it was only a week before I flipped them, but they did pass through my hands..."

rantrant

The exception, like was mentioned, is if the actual artist is still posting a piece sold because they are proud of what they created.

You know, I hadn't really thought about this but people are making some good sense. I am going to remove my "sold" folder.

I am making a difference in the world! :cry: Sorry, I get emotional sometimes...

I only have a Superman serial poster and a Flash Gordon serial poster there, though I have meant to put up other posters of the thousands I have that are not comic related. Why do you find it annoying?? Are they hurting you?? Do they bother your eyes?? Why would they annoy you at all?

I think I was more annoyed at the piece that I linked because it was also in someone else's gallery on CAF. In your situation, I don't think I would be as annoyed but the terms of use on CAF clearly state that the art should be comic related and original. I also own a few fantasy art pieces (one I even bought on CAF) but I don't post most of them because they weren't comics. The exception being my Dragonlance prelim because it was made into a comic and that was the art that started it all.

I hardly ever start a topic here and this seemed somewhat trivial but I just wanted other people's opinion because I honestly don't know why it gets under my skin!

I don't keep a "sold" folder on CAF, but I don't really care if other collectors do. Some collectors use the "dearly departed" folder to let themselves and others see what art has passed through their collection. Many of us are not rich enough to keep every piece of art we want so we have to, regretfully, sacrifice some art. There's no harm in keeping a folder to remember the art we've given up.

And if it's marked as sold or in a sold folder, then at least the CAF member isn't trying to deceive anybody. I think it's more annoying if the art is labeled "for sale" when it's actually already gone.

And the biggest reason why I don't mind the practice of listing sold art: most buyers don't list the art. I don't know about everybody else, but I like seeing the original art of my favorite covers whether the person posting it is the former or current owner. I rather see a former owner post the art than see no art at all.

However, I do think the buyer holds the right to request the seller to remove the art from their CAF.

It's selfishness pure and simple. Selfish because Bill is offering a free service and only asks that you obey a few simple rules. Just because he doesn't actively enforce the rule doesn't mean they shouldn't be followed.

As for those that show off non-comic art related items in their gallery, that depends on what it is. Someone using CAF to show off pics of their kids is obviously not what CAF was meant for. Showing illustration art? Comic art is Illustration art. It's like saying a sketch shouldn't be on CAF because it wasn't published in a comic. Or saying you shouldn't display some of James Jean's or Phil Noto's pieces because they were done for magazines or books and not comics. It's an art sharing site for an art community and there is crossover.

I'm pretty much in agreement with Ruben, which is one reason my poster display is only for comic-related (or comics-inspired) movies and why I have never put up my Creature From the Black Lagoon or House of Dracula or Murder My Sweet etc posters. I do have a Marx Bros (Day at the Races) poster with art by Al Hirshfeld and should probably put that up (as well as the other serial posters I have).. but by and large, I don't want to clutter the site.

But again, on sold art.. I remove it, because #1 Bill wants you to and #2 because the buyer wants to (or not) put it in his gallery.

I also agree with Dan Forman that we never have more than custodial ownership of anything and that includes my socks as well as my art or posters. The art may have been part of my life at some point, but now it's part of someone else's life.. let them revel in it as their own without any interference from me and let me not add confusion to where the piece resides..

I may have loved it when it was mine.. it's moved on now and like an ex-girlfriend, the new boyfriend may be jealous if you continue to call and chat..

Rich

It's selfishness pure and simple. Selfish because Bill is offering a free service and only asks that you obey a few simple rules. Just because he doesn't actively enforce the rule doesn't mean they shouldn't be followed.

So if someone has a folder showing off art no longer in their possession, then they're being selfish? Isn't CAF entirely built on the premise of "unselfishness", where people are sharing their collection? There are few who use CAF to primarily sell artwork, but it's clear that the great majority, including those with "dearly departed" galleries, takes time out of their day to upload art to gain nothing but a few comments in return.

I understand that people are not complying to CAF's rule that "You Must Own - or be the Creator of - the Artwork You Post to a Gallery Room". But just because someone violates that policy doesn't imply selfishness or exploitation of Bill's services. Many people don't read the terms when they sign up for something. If they're doing something wrong, it may be because they're not aware of it. I think if Bill wants to see better compliance to the policies, he should send out a mass policy reminder to all users.

So if someone has a folder showing off art no longer in their possession, then they're being selfish?

Pretty much.

Isn't CAF entirely built on the premise of "unselfishness", where people are sharing their collection?

Sure. The operative idea here is their collection. Nor their former collection.

I'm one of those that would never leave up stuff someone else bought from me. I've sold some pretty nice pieces over the years, but many of them have eventually found their way back onto CAF under the names of their current owners. As it should be. It's their art now.

-e.

Sure. The operative idea here is their collection. Nor their former collection.

I'm one of those that would never leave up stuff someone else bought from me. I've sold some pretty nice pieces over the years, but many of them have eventually found their way back onto CAF under the names of their current owners. As it should be. It's their art now.

-e.

Ok, so if an art dealer sells me a page and then marks it sold on their website, are they being selfish for not completely removing the page from their website?

I think "selfish" is a strong and wrong word to be used here. It implies outright ignorance towards others. There are a number of collectors who show off art that came and went. Some do it to tell what their biggest regrets were. My point is that those collectors may not know that what they're doing bothers anybody or even violates CAF policies. If you have a problem with somebody else showing art you own, then you should ask them to take it down.

There are a number of collectors who show off art that came and went. Some do it to tell what their biggest regrets were. My point is that those collectors may not know that what they're doing bothers anybody or even violates CAF policies. If you have a problem with somebody else showing art you own, then you should ask them to take it down.

that may be but a lot of the "offenders" are people who certainly know better and who choose to ignore the rules. if a dealer wants to keep it on their website where they are paying for the bandwidth, then that is different.

Any time I've seen art I own in another collector's gallery I've kindly asked them to take it down and - without exception - the previous owner has. If someone refused I can see how that would be more than a little frustrating.

And I'd join the chorus of saying I'd never keep up sold items. It's not mine anymore. It shouldn't be in my gallery.

Cheers,

Simon

There are appropriate sites for movie posters, toys, comic books (re-marked comics/printed material is alright), photo's of ones favorite car, or a piece of some else's art that they admire.

You, and others can display your movie posters (re-marked being the exception here) on REELcollectors; look at CAF's network sites.

Bill has been generous as to not call people on posting non comic book/strip artwork on his site (that I know of) so far. Let's be respectful of his site; his rules.

Going through Bill's Term's and conditions, and seeing other people's post's regarding artwork

no longer in their possession; it is only far to remove artwork that is no longer in one's possession ;) .

CAF Terms and Conditions.