• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Listing on CAF

96 posts in this topic

I agree with Claudio

Stay outta this Richard! All you do is sell pics of things you don't own! lol

you are so wrong.. I agree with Claudio and I agree with Ruben.. I do not agree with you..

my CAF only has pictures of things I do own and whenever I sell something it comes down from CAF. If the new owner wants to exhibit it he (or she) can do so without any interference from me.

If I were to show pics of every piece of art I have ever sold, my CAF would have 1000s of photos I do not own, people searches would be cluttered and I probably wouldn't be able to find my way around my own CAF.

Bill Cox's rules say very specifically you are only supposed to show art you own.

I agree with Claudio

I was talkin about your CD-ROMS of comics, pulps, posters, old phonebooks, matchbook covers etc. :jokealert: Oh the irony!

Not to derail this, but I'm consistently amazed at the number of high-high-high-dollar collections featured in CAF by people who AREN'T premium members. It reminds me of the collectors who would spend thousands on comics at a convention while sleeping on someone's floor and eating crackers and catsup. If you've got 10-20K to drop on a cover, you've sure got the $50 to support the site. I can understand the low-budget collector not manning up, but not these big ticket guys.

Not to derail this, but I'm consistently amazed at the number of high-high-high-dollar collections featured in CAF by people who AREN'T premium members. It reminds me of the collectors who would spend thousands on comics at a convention while sleeping on someone's floor and eating crackers and catsup. If you've got 10-20K to drop on a cover, you've sure got the $50 to support the site. I can understand the low-budget collector not manning up, but not these big ticket guys.

I agree with Roger. If a low roller like me can contribute, so should the big boys.

Cheers!

N.

I agree with Roger. If a low roller like me can contribute, so should the big boys.

Cheers!

N.

Nobody with a Hughes Catwoman cover and a Miller Wolverine splash is allowed to call themselves a low roller. (tsk)

I'm a little late to this party as well. But an interesting thread.

I used to have a "gone but not forgotten" gallery, which I took down a while back when I was asked to remove one of the pieces by the new owner -- he made me realize it might cause confusion about who owned the art and that there would be multiple listing in searches. A the time I had no idea Bill had a policy covering it -- and still didn't until I read this thread.

As an aside, I never considered that having such a gallery would be seen as selfish or trying to show what a big-time collector I was. I had it because I dearly love the art. I only buy pieces I want for my collection -- and unfortunately I've traded and/or sold pieces on occasion that I really, really didn't want to have to get rid of, but had to in order to acquire art that I wanted even more. For example, I had to trade away some really good stuff to acquire that Fin Fang Foom splash. I occasionally like to look at the pages that I traded away. I thought that a "gone" gallery was a good way to do that and would keep the comments about them alive (some of them were pretty witty and funny). But I can see how that's not fair to the new owner. They should get the notoriety and new comments for the piece, and it's possible some people surfing CAF may find an image and not realize it's in a "SOLD" or "Gone" gallery and comment on it, thinking it's still owned by the person who has sold or traded it.

As others have done, I kept the gallery but I unchecked the box that makes it visible to others, so it is only accessible to me when I use the Manage Galleries functions. This way I can still "look" at those pages when I want. Almost none of them have been reposted by the current owners, so I can't go "visit" them there. For that reason, I'll keep the behind-the-scenes gallery alive. Hopefully I'll someday own some of those pieces again....

Interestingly, I did a CAF search by artist recently and found that some of my pages are also listed by a former owner in a SOLD gallery..... And I have to admit I thought "Hey, what's the big idea??"

--Steve