• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will your collection ever be finished?

76 posts in this topic

Will there ever come a point at which you will have collected everything you ever wanted to collect?

When I first started collecting comics again, I thought, I'm just going to pick up a few of the books I had when I was a kid. I only had a single box with about 150 - 200 comics when I was young.

However, during my quest to find the comics I owned as a kid, I found other stuff that I'd never seen when I was young - other titles I'd never read - artists I'd never heard of because I didn't collect GA or Pulps or early SA.

Now, 21 short boxes and about 8 years later I'm asking myself, "will my collection ever be complete?"

I doubt it ... but don't tell my wife :blush:

My wife realized before me that this was probably never going to end. I kept saying, "no honey, really, once I finish my (insert any comic title) run, that will be it. I don't plan on collecting anything else."

But then I found this site, and then I started wandering over into the GA section - and then I started looking at the selling forum and saw a couple DC War comics I remembered owning - and then someone was selling some pulps that had cool covers - and then I forgot they made Mighty Mouse comics - and Underdog - and my mom used to have Little Lulu comics, I should buy her a few - and I really liked Alex Toth's art on the Lone Ranger - and Richard Corben was my favorite Heavy Metal artist - and Hot Wheels? I didn't know they had Hot Wheels comics - Alex Schomburg? Wow! Startling 49 is the :censored: - I always loved Frazetta :cloud9: - I should finish that whole Swamp Thing run and not just stop at issue 10 - someone's selling BA Detective comics on the boards for $2 each - and...

I'm doomed. :(

Not a chance. Unless it's likely that I'll ever be able to pick up every GA Super-Hero Timely at bargain basement prices... (Timely's show up cheap so often, after all. lol ) I pick up about 1 a month now, so it will take me about 10 years to finish just the MMC and Cap runs. Then there is the All Select, All Winners, USA etc. At the same time, I'm putting together mini-runs of JIM, TOS, ASM and Silver Caps. So I reiterate, never...

I wish my collection could be finished. If I never had the urge to upgrade, then maybe I could be satisfied with what I already have. I know I'll never have a complete run of Batman and Detective, especially Detective. I also have a baby on the way, so I need to re-evaluate my collecting habits.