• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this normal?

10 posts in this topic

This is the first time I have bought a CGC book where one of the corners is not sealed tight. Is it normal to get these once in a while? Or is this evidence that someone tried to tamper with the book? So far, it's only one corner and there doesn't seem to be enough space to pull the book out. There's also no cracks or any signs of force applied to that area. It just seems like it wasn't sealed properly. Here's a picture of that corner. What do you guys think?

IMG_2318.jpg

This is the first time I have bought a CGC book where one of the corners is not sealed tight. Is it normal to get these once in a while? Or is this evidence that someone tried to tamper with the book? So far, it's only one corner and there doesn't seem to be enough space to pull the book out. There's also no cracks or any signs of force applied to that area. It just seems like it wasn't sealed properly. Here's a picture of that corner. What do you guys think?

I think with an avatar like yours I wouldn't be bothered about a cracked corner post.

Sorry, I mean what Schmidty said (thumbs u

Contact CGC and see if they'll reholder the book. If not, ask the seller for a refund. Notify the seller right away and see if he'll refund the money if CGC won't reholder.

Once the posts break, the book is no longer certified. You won't ethically be able to sell it as a certified book without disclosing the broken post, and the broken post will make buyers wonder whether you monkeyed with the book and slipped a lower grade book into a higher grade holder.

IMG_2318.jpg

I wouldn't say it's normal, but I also wouldn't say it's rare. As someone who cracks out any CGC books I buy I've noticed that some cases crack open with almost no effort, while others are require quite a bit of prying. I've encountered corners like that and I wouldn't worry about it unless there's more than one corner like that and visible damage to the interior casing that the comic is in. It would be impossible to slip a comic out one corner, and equally impossible to hide the fact that the inner casing had been tampered with.

Personally, I wouldn't have a ethical problem with applying a small dab of super glue to the post area and sealing it back up.

I think with an avatar like yours I wouldn't be bothered about a cracked corner post.

Sorry, I mean what Schmidty said (thumbs u

Glad to hear that someone else is admiring my avatar. :grin:

So do you guys think it is ethical to just reseal that corner with glue? It doesn't look like the book has been tampered with since there really isn't any way to pull the book out. Technically the book is still certified if it isn't removed from its holder right?

If you plan on keeping the book I'd just glue it; if you plan on reselling it, I'd see if CGC would fix the problem, that way you don't have to put off potential buyers with any kind of disclaimer.

Yeah I was intending to keep the book in my collection. Guess I'll just go ahead and glue it.