• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller Wolverine

43 posts in this topic

The coloring by Steve Oliffe make these pages look nice, but all things being equal, I think I prefer pages without the coloring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300376278277

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANK-MILLER-original-comic-artwork-WOLVERINE-int-page_W0QQitemZ300376281413QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45efd25145

The coloring is not a good thing in my opinion. And what is the point of pricing it at 75k? Is that just going to be a starting point for negotiations off ebay?

Scott Williams

I am going with a misplaced decimal point as a possible reason.

Having your pages colored was a fad in the late '70s/ early '80s. I've seen a few Byrne X-Men, Starlin Warlock, etc that were, um, loved this way.

At least the fad of having your art laminated never caught on. Though there's a few Kirby sketches you can now use as placemats.

It would absolutely KILL me if one of the pieces I'd be searching for years suddenly came out of the woodwork but somehow Steve Oliff had gotten his hands on it first.

Not as bad as never finding it at all, but still it would deliver a pretty hefty kick in the balls.

It would absolutely KILL me if one of the pieces I'd be searching for years suddenly came out of the woodwork but somehow Steve Oliff had gotten his hands on it first.

Not as bad as never finding it at all, but still it would deliver a pretty hefty kick in the balls.

I think it would be even worse if the page surfaced and the seller was asking a completely unreasonable price. I could get over the coloring but I would be more upset trying to procure the piece knowing that the seller's asking price was completely out of whack.

This, to me, is the worst of both worlds -- unrealistic price + coloring. On top of all of that, you would have to somehow convince the seller that the coloring actually devalues the piece as he seems to be under the opposite impression.

Having your pages colored was a fad in the late '70s/ early '80s. I've seen a few Byrne X-Men, Starlin Warlock, etc that were, um, loved this way.

At least the fad of having your art laminated never caught on. Though there's a few Kirby sketches you can now use as placemats.

people do all kinds of strange things.

For instance, there is one New York "dealer" who when he began to get involved in this hobby in the late 1980s had some nobody color several Hal Foster Prince Valiant and Tarzan pieces. He also had at least one Frank King sunday page colored in. I believe the reasoning was that they were going into restaurants for display and sale and the color made them more attractive to buyers.

Aside from that being a crock, this person identified them as "hand colored originals" or even "hand colored by the artist". That was obviously a bigger crock than the first crock.

Then you have the other collectors who do things that suprise you. How many of you are familiar with this image?

kirby_heart.gif

I sold this drawing 20 years ago to an advance Kirby collector.

What's wrong do you ask??

well.... when I sold this piece, it was a pencilled item. It was neither inked nor colored.

the buyer later sent it off to Joe Sinnott who "completed" the drawing

to me that was sacrilage, even though he had Joe do it.

the piece was a pencilled illustration and in my opinion should have remained such.

I think that people need to take more of a hands-off approach to art than many people do..

I don't know why people for instance insist on bleaching a page that has yellowed

yes you're brightening it up.. but you're actually changing the texture and surface of the paper. To me, bleaching is not "restoration"

Take a look at the Foster Tarzan in my CAF.. If I ever bleached that piece, I'd want to throw it away because it would take something away, not add something to it.

removing a small stain?? why bother

removing tape..? well yes, but you can do that without bathing the page

getting a painting that has cracked surface or missing paint is restoration

playing with most B&W art is travesty

I'll be interested to see what the other pages are as he did say it was to be sold as a set of 5 pages.

If the selling price is low enough, one can buy it and then have the art professionally cleaned/bleached of the color.

Cheers!

N.

This, to me, is the worst of both worlds -- unrealistic price + coloring. On top of all of that, you would have to somehow convince the seller that the coloring actually devalues the piece as he seems to be under the opposite impression.

I totally agree. It's a shame to see those beautiful pages in that state for that kind of asking price.

I'm interested in seeing which other ones get put up as well...

Question for the board:

1. If a spread from "300" was in a collector's hands, and he commissioned Lynn Varley to watercolor it just like she did on her original printed color guide, and it looked AWESOME, would you have a problem with it?

My answer remains the same.

If it's cheap enough, I'll buy the colorized art. I can always decide later to clean it or perhaps keep it colorized. Personally, Oliffe is one of the better "colorists". I prefer his work than the color jobs of Ernie Chan (Chua).

Lynn Varley, being Frank's wife, is probably more in sync with Frank's "vision" though.

Cheers!

N.

Why is it always the Wolverine mini pages that get colored?

I've seen at least a half dozen or more pages from this series in various collections, all colored. I've seen a couple pages that weren't colored, but far more that were.

I can't help wondering what was it about this particular series that made people feel the need?

-e.