• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How old were you when you started reading comics?

65 posts in this topic

I started when I was 7 and brought a bag full of comic books while on Holiday here in England. If I remember They were mostly DC Batmans and Supermans plus justice league. I didn't get into collecting untill 3 years ago though (thumbs u

I would have to say 7 or 8, I read Obelix & Asterix and RinTinTin. My dad had a big collection of them in French and I read them a million times before I left the old country.

Then I discovered Marvel and DC at age 13.

I was 5 when i started reading the UK reprints of UXM in 1980. Progressed to the Beano till I was about 8, then the UK reprints of Action Force (G.I. Joe) and Transformers. Progressed to the proper US versions of UXM at about the age of 10.

When I was in pre-school I would look at the pictures in the books. I was fascinated by Batman (I was hooked on the Adam West show as a kid) so my dad would usually get me packs of DC books from Price Club and the like.

I remember reading Tintin: Destination Moon / Explorers On The Moon when I was six, not long before the Moon landings took place, serendipitously enough.

Read British comics from that age also until I was about nine when the U.S. stuff took hold.

The first comic book my dad bought for me was Batman #234 (a Neal Adams issue, wouldn't you know). So I must have been 8 years old or so. I can probably remember the first dozen comics I ever read:

Batman 234

Witching Hour 21

Batman 236

House of Secrets 96

Batman 246

Shazam 3

Shazam 4

Shazam 5

(some Super-Goof comic at about this same time)

Justice League 103

Brave & Bold 109

Flash 222

Superman 263

...may have missed a couple of the horror-type comics of the day, but that's pretty much the ones that stand out in memory.

I was around 5 or 6 yrs old. Got a 3 pack from a toy store (toys r us?) which had the last issue of Star Comics' He-Man, an issue of spiderman where he fights the Tarantula who mind controlled Cap America, and one other book I forget.

I was six and a half or seven...I think seven. My brother had gotten into comics a little bit (not much else to do in Duluth), and handed me down two comics I'll never forget -- Hulk #199 where Hulk fights Doc Samson in a Florida swamp and Fantastic Four #172, when Gorr takes the FF into space to meet Galactus. The Perez/Sinnott art in that FF issue defined for me what comic art should look like, which is why I collect those pages now!

Dan