• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Buy This Book!

19 posts in this topic

Either that's one BIG comic or you have a very small basement! smile.gif Just curious, why don't you ship media mail?

1. Shipping comic books via media mail is illegal.

2. Shipping comic books via media mail is more expensive to ME, the shipper.

3. Shipping comic books via media mail is a pain in the [!@#%^&^].

4. Shipping comic books via media mail requires me to understand the byzantine postal regulations and rates, whereas shipping Priority Mail requires me to understand one rate.

and, of course, 5. Shipping comic books via media mail is illegal.

Shipping comic books via media mail is illegal.

Illegal, or just against postal regulations? I didn't think the USPS was a branch of the government anymore. Of course, if THAT were really true, it seems like UPS and FedEx would be able to put mail in people's mailboxes...I'm surprised there hasn't been a high-profile lawsuit about the USPS monopoly on mailboxes since postal deregulation went into effect.

Illegal, or just against postal regulations? I didn't think the USPS was a branch of the government anymore. Of course, if THAT were really true, it seems like UPS and FedEx would be able to put mail in people's mailboxes...I'm surprised there hasn't been a high-profile lawsuit about the USPS monopoly on mailboxes since postal deregulation went into effect.

Well, they do have a .gov address. Darth??????

To each his own, of course, but does anyone around here ship via Bound Printed Matter? I use it all the time and I have no hassles. It's inexpensive, as fast or faster than Media Mail, and is much less restrictive. Food for thought.

To each his own, of course, but does anyone around here ship via Bound Printed Matter? I use it all the time and I have no hassles. It's inexpensive, as fast or faster than Media Mail, and is much less restrictive. Food for thought.

I use Bound Printed Matter all the time... The only drawback versus Media Mail is that you can't ship more than 15lbs at a time...

Besides, I really like getting Priority Mail from Donut... At least half the time they don't bother to cancel the stamp and I get to reuse it on my own packages...

Oops... did I just say that out loud? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, they do have a .gov address. Darth??????

www.USPS.com... www.USPIS.gov

I'm not fully up on this, but the USPS is not fully privatized. It is a hybrid gov't ageny and corporation. CEOs of FEdEx and UPS are making 8 figure salaries...the PostMaster General doesn't break $225K...so we are far from being privatized and if it were so, we would give up the monopoly on mailboxes but we would also be able to raise our rates to competitive prices to get out of the red and offer competitive salaries to private companies. The Pay scale for admin and craft employess is still analogous to the Federal GS pay scale.

As for that lawsuit, I would suspect that UPS maybe the only one to bring that...I'm sure there have been some in the past and there have been settlements in the form of partnerships and agreements...like our current partnership with FedEx

I ship comics via media mail all the time. Whether or not it's allowed seems to depend on which Post Office you go to. One told me that they had to go via Bound and Printed matter, and three others said Media Mail was fine after checking with their supervisors. It would be nice to get a definitive answer to this though.

I do agree that media mail would normally cost the seller more, but I just add that into the "Handling" fees. Even with the extra handling costs media mail still tends to be cheaper for the buyer which is helpful for me since I'm only selling off my old lower end comics. They don't sell as well with the extra charges for priority mail.

Media mail for more than 3 comics. First class otherwise and priority for high value books. Sending to Canada make sure it weighs less than 2 lbs or you get hosed. Splitting 20 books into 2 sets of 10 costs less when going to Canada.

4. Shipping comic books via media mail requires me to understand the byzantine postal regulations and rates, whereas shipping Priority Mail requires me to understand one rate.

and, of course,

5. Shipping comic books via media mail is illegal.

I like #4 a lot better than #5...

1) Shipping comic books via Media Mail is NOT illegal - you won't get a citation, you won't be taken to jail, you can still pass GO and collect yer $200.

2) Shipping comic books via Media Mail might be against USPS rules, no one's really sure. For every postal employee who says you can't ship comics via that method, there are roughly 8 who say it's fine.

(I've heard from dozens of sellers who say they've shipped via MM for years with no problems, and I've received comics via MM from another 100+ sellers, with no problems. I've heard one story of a seller whose comics were returned to him by a USPS clerk because they were sent MM.)

3) how can shipping via Media Mail be more expensive for the shipper? Because unlike Priority Mail you don't get the packing materials free? Just curious.

and, of course,

5. Shipping comic books via media mail is illegal.

I like #4 a lot better than #5...

1) Shipping comic books via Media Mail is NOT illegal - you won't get a citation, you won't be taken to jail, you can still pass GO and collect yer $200.

2) Shipping comic books via Media Mail might be against USPS rules, no one's really sure. For every postal employee who says you can't ship comics via that method, there are roughly 8 who say it's fine.

(I've heard from dozens of sellers who say they've shipped via MM for years with no problems, and I've received comics via MM from another 100+ sellers, with no problems. I've heard one story of a seller whose comics were returned to him by a USPS clerk because they were sent MM.)

3) how can shipping via Media Mail be more expensive for the shipper? Because unlike Priority Mail you don't get the packing materials free? Just curious.

Bingo. Shipping Media Mail requires me to buy envelopes, etc. Priority Mail envelopes are free.

Bingo. Shipping Media Mail requires me to buy envelopes, etc. Priority Mail envelopes are free.

There is an added benifit that most people overlook... Priority Mail packages tend to arrive in a little better condition than anything else. I think it's because the mass majority of Priority packages are light due to the price so your comics aren't as likely to get crushed under a 50 lbs. box. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif