• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saddest Comic Moments?

145 posts in this topic

The death of Wolverine's first love in Wolverine; The Origin. It was a while since I read it now but I thought it was quite moving at the time (I think she was called Rose?). Must read it again sometime.

I agree completely with We3.

Here's one that I can pretty much guarantee that you haven't read that you should:

Marvel Fanfare #9...the backup Daredevil story. Very, very sad story that's animal related. If you're an animal lover, seek it out. It'll move you.

One of the first comic book stories I ever read, and it stuck with me, the death of the original Crimson Avenger:

In a one shot story named "Whatever Happened to the Crimson Avenger?" featured in DC Comics Presents #38, Lee Travis finds out that he is suffering from an incurable terminal disease. In his hospital room brooding about his situation, Travis spots a ship blinking SOS with its lights. Sensing trouble, Travis dons his suit one last time and heads out to investigate. He discovers the ship was taken over by criminals seeking to steal its cargo of explosively unstable chemical waste and the captain was trying to summon help. Travis engages the criminals but is unable to prevent a grenade from starting a fire that threatens to cause a massive explosion. Knowing he was dying anyway, the Avenger makes the crew abandon ship while he pilots the ship to a safe distance and is presumably killed, with the satisfaction he is going out heroically and spectacularly. When the crew reach the shore and they are asked by the police who they were saved by, the captain says that he never saw the face of the man. It can be assumed that nobody actually knew where Lee Travis had disappeared to or that the Crimson Avenger was responsible for saving the city

The end of the Rang A Tang story in Blue Ribbon #22.

blue_ribbon22_22.jpg

Man, the dog ones always get me. Two Fisted Tales 26 has one of the absolute saddest dog stories you'll ever read, and there's an Atlas war book that I can't remember at current that has another tear-jerker.

Death of Superman

I forgot all about that.

I was out of collecting for a few years when that hit the news. I bought up the entire run and read it and it really moved me.

Cover price raised to 30 cents :(

Cover price raised to 35 cents :(

Cover price raised to 40 cents :(

Cover price raised to 50 cents :(

Cover price raised to 60 cents :(

Cover price raised to 75 cents :(

Around this time I stopped buying moderns

Man, the dog ones always get me. Two Fisted Tales 26 has one of the absolute saddest dog stories you'll ever read,

Yup, agree on that one.

and there's an Atlas war book that I can't remember at current that has another tear-jerker.

Well, that was helpful meh

Is it another dog / animal story you mean?

What moments were you truly sad for in a comic.

I would have to say for me ASM #248, "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man", by Roger Stern and Ron Frenz. GREAT story.

:whatev: Hiyo!

Saddest comic moment ever, without a shadow of doubt is...

(You cannot get a villian more menacing than Darkseid!)

scan0088-8.jpg

(This is the cover of a true super-hero!)

scan0089-8.jpg

(The most saddest/impactful scene of this entire series on the cover... epic and truly heart-renching!)

scan0090-8.jpg

The silver age Death of Captain Marvel is the saddest I can remember at the moment.

But strange as it sounds, Batman turning "dark" (first time I noticed it was Ten Nights of the Beast) was sad to me. My "hero" became something he had never been before. It would have been like if George Reeves tore the head off of some bank robber who had shot Lois, in the old time TV Superman series.

Just not in line with my understanding of who and what Batman and Superman were.