• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is erasing pencil marks considered restore?

29 posts in this topic

Say as you please Divad but it's an issue of supply.

I can see your point, even it is a bit snooty :grin:

Yeah, I see both sides of it.

However, at the end of the day there are just to many books SA and later that don't have stamps that the industry really does need to start addressing them as a flaw. This may rub people the wrong way but aren't we really grading all these books with the top tier supposedly being "off the presses" fresh?

This leads me into my next line of thinking around mis-wrapped books being given 9.8's. This isn't helping the market. In fact, this and other things that CGC is doing is really starting to create some uncertainty amongst collectors. I for one would like to see CGC or some other company revisit what we call a 9.8.

Just my 2 cents but I know from talking to others that these things aren't going unnoticed. The prices realized for the same book in the same holder should make even those of you that don't agree pause to think.

Happy Holidays All!

However, at the end of the day there are just to many books SA and later that don't have stamps that the industry really does need to start addressing them as a flaw. This may rub people the wrong way but aren't we really grading all these books with the top tier supposedly being "off the presses" fresh?

This leads me into my next line of thinking around mis-wrapped books being given 9.8's. This isn't helping the market. In fact, this and other things that CGC is doing is really starting to create some uncertainty amongst collectors. I for one would like to see CGC or some other company revisit what we call a 9.8.

Just my 2 cents but I know from talking to others that these things aren't going unnoticed. The prices realized for the same book in the same holder should make even those of you that don't agree pause to think.

Happy Holidays All!

Personally, I've never considered miswraps elgible for 9.4, never mind 9.8 ;) As to other defects that aren't given full weight by CGC, that's been a problem since their inception. However, I do think that defects should be treated similarly age-to-to-age with allowances only made for variances in production methods, cover stock, paper quality, and the like. :)

Happy Holidays All!

Personally, I've never considered miswraps elgible for 9.4, never mind 9.8 ;) As to other defects that aren't given full weight by CGC, that's been a problem since their inception. However, I do think that defects should be treated similarly age-to-to-age with allowances only made for variances in production methods, cover stock, paper quality, and the like. :)

Yeah, there is actually one for sale on the boards right now and to compund the issue it's the highest graded and a bronze age book to boot...this sort of thing makes me cringe for the future of the hobby.

Happy Holidays All!

Yeah, there is actually one for sale on the boards right now and to compund the issue it's the highest graded and a bronze age book to boot...this sort of thing makes me cringe for the future of the hobby.

And no doubt, has had the bejeezus pressed out of it . . . :grin:

What about grease pencil re-sale marks? I've erased these on books, mostly when I first bought them in the late '60s, early '70s...as someone previously mentioned, more often than not it removes the gloss and leaves a tell-tale light loss of color as well...in rare cases it can be almost imperceptible.

I always disclose this on books I've sold but I don't consider it restoration, just an aspect of wear and tear...

please don't try to rub one out in the forum I mean books have more character with arrival dates

:o:o:o:o:o:o

Think I know an out of context thread this may appear in :gossip:

:angel:

Of course I had no idea of the implied meaning when I authored that statement.

Furthermore, I like store dates on stuff, especially smallish stamps in unobtrusive places, or small pencil dates. I do not prefer grease pens alla huge everywheres.

:angel: