• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need advice on selling my collection

5 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I've come to the conclusion in the past few weeks that I need to up the focus on other points of my life. To do so I need some cash to fill in some spaces and have decided to part with the collection I've put together. I haven't catalogued it yet but it's about 6 longboxes full. I'm not sure whether to sell it all at once (and wonder about the rigors of shipping and such) or piece it out in lots. About half of it is my Spider-Man collection...500-600 issues worth

Amazing (70% done including half of the first 150)

Spectacular(maybe 100 issue, #1 then mostly later)

Web (probably 80%-90%)

Spider-Man (probably missing just a few issues)

Sensational

MTU (last 30 issues or so).

also

Avengers (run of 50-60 issues from the 80's)

Fantastic Four 265-310

Amazing Spider-Man v.2 complete

Peter Parker v.2 missing a few issues between 17-25

Ultimate Spider-Man 8-52

Fantastic Four v.3 complete

Iron Man v.2 complete, v.3 missing 50-59

probably 100 random books including batman, x-titles, image titles

I pieced this collection together over a span of 5 years between ages of 13 and 23 and I must say I'm pretty proud of it. I'm sad to see it go but once things straighten out for me I intend to start over. Any advice offered on how to sell my collection would be greatly appreciated. I plan on using E-bay but would definitely be open to offers from board members. Like I said, the next two days will be me sorting through it, getting ready to sell...deciding what's definitely going or not (I hate the idea of parting with my old Spidey's). If anything interests you, please shoot me a PM or post and I will reply ASAP. I will have a scanner at my disposal to help me represent some of the older books better.

Any questions, comments or advice will be incredibly helpful!

Joseph Longmore

p.s. I fully intend to keep hanging around the boards grin.gif

There's been a bunch of threads on this topic. The general feeling I've gotten from it, is any of your newer and/or non-key stuff, you'd probably be a lot better either selling as a bulk lot, or selling it in runs (Peter Parker 60-80, 80-100, etc.). If you have some older nice condition books and/or keys, those might be worth selling individually, either slabbed, or raw, but make sure if they're raw, have a very detailed description, and very large, detailed scan of the book.

You should post lists and/or scans of some of your very best books on here. You have a lot of collectors here always looking for new books, and a lot of folks on here seem to have the cash to throw towards something they want.

Hope this helps a little. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Outside of the Amazing Spider Man stuff... most of the collection will be difficult to move. I suggest breaking it up into lots on ebay, with the exception of the ASM stuff. If it's low grade (G-VG-F) then I would say break it down into maybe 3 to 5 issue lots (except numbers of ASM below 50 or below, sell those individually).

If it's truly (and be honest with yourself when grading) a 9.0 or better ASM 1-100 then get them CGC'd.

The rest... well, I'll say they're more likely to move at a higher value in lots. A collector on ebay will pay a small premium to get a whole lot of books of one title all at once. I'd go with that.

Most dealers won't pay more than a nickel or dime (if they'll even take them) for the other books outside the ASMs, and unless you're in a time crunch, you can do better on ebay. It's worth a little extra time. If you just want them out of the house, take the remainder to a local store and unload em.

good luck

Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately I don't have any super high grade Silver Age goodies for you guys. The older stuff is vg-f for the most part. I'm just gonna unload it all on ebay in lots. Thanks again and still pm me with any interest.

Joe

id say slab even the low graded early issues of amazing spidey, even low grades get good $$$$ the others, dump em on ebay. Lotsa dealers would like to have some as fillers (considering the quality of backissues at a few of the stores i frequent in nashville)