• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foxing and mold?

7 posts in this topic

Can foxing spread to other comics? Also, has anyone had any other types of molds that have spread to their other comics? Can this be contained with mylars? I don't have a specific example I was just curious. I have had comics with foxing and some with a strong odor. So, I wonder if this would spread to other comics?

Jo, it's a very deep and complex subject. People disagree on what foxing actually is.

Someone with a better grasp will chime in I'm sure.

I found this past thread:

Interesting reading.

The thing is you may purchase a comic not realizing it could contaminate others. I think the solution of looking through your comic collection and isolating these that you think have a weird odor or foxing from the rest of your collection is the best idea. I've gotten comics in the past that have an odor and I have thought, probably naively, that this will go away in the future. I understand there is some kind of difference between foxing and mold, foxing doesn't have an odor from my experience? Maybe it could. I guess the thing I really wouldn't want to happen is to have some kind of mildew I'm not familiar with transfer over to other comics.

It would be interesting to hear the definition of what people consider to be mold/mildew...can it be only a smell with no signs?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1302784&fpart=2

Can foxing spread to other comics? Also, has anyone had any other types of molds that have spread to their other comics? Can this be contained with mylars? I don't have a specific example I was just curious. I have had comics with foxing and some with a strong odor. So, I wonder if this would spread to other comics?

This is a can of worms, but I'll try to sort it out.

First, "mold" and "mildew" are generic household terms which have no specific scientific meaning, except when used by biologists as common names for specific organisms within the fungal kingdom, e.g., as in "slime molds" or "powdery mildew". More commonly, "mold" is used to described any visible hyphal (mycelial) growth, such as you see on moldy cheese or moldy bread. Mildew is commonly used to refer to powdery coatings on the leaves of various (over-watered) garden vegetables, or in the bottom of your shower stall. Both mold and mildew occur in humid environments.

By no means, does foxing exhibit or share any of the characteristics which are commonly associated with mold or mildew. Foxing typically is not associated with any odor. I would challenge anyone who has "seen" it spread and question their methods of observation. A review of the literature on foxing seems to indicate that it is a staining which occurs to pulp papers and is associated with the iron content of these papers. There have been suggestions that there are fungal and/or bacterial components to its occurrence, but these in large part have been inconclusive. Conclusiveness would be that for every appearance of foxing, one would be able to isolate the causal agent or organism involved, and that this would be easily repeated from one instance to another. However, this has not been the case. Additionally, foxing occurs in environments which are not excessively humid, and in those that are not necessarily conducive to fungal growth.

I would not own or keep moldy comics in close proximity to others. Mold will spread. Period. Spores do not care if your books are individually Mylar-ed or not. Conversely, foxing will not spread to other books under ideal storage conditions. However, I would err to the cautious side.

I hope this helps a bit. :)

This is a can of worms, but I'll try to sort it out.

First, "mold" and "mildew" are generic household terms which have no specific scientific meaning, except when used by biologists as common names for specific organisms within the fungal kingdom, e.g., as in "slime molds" or "powdery mildew". More commonly, "mold" is used to described any visible hyphal (mycelial) growth, such as you see on moldy cheese or moldy bread. Mildew is commonly used to refer to powdery coatings on the leaves of various (over-watered) garden vegetables, or in the bottom of your shower stall. Both mold and mildew occur in humid environments.

By no means, does foxing exhibit or share any of the characteristics which are commonly associated with mold or mildew. Foxing typically is not associated with any odor. I would challenge anyone who has "seen" it spread and question their methods of observation. A review of the literature on foxing seems to indicate that it is a staining which occurs to pulp papers and is associated with the iron content of these papers. There have been suggestions that there are fungal and/or bacterial components to its occurrence, but these in large part have been inconclusive. Conclusiveness would be that for every appearance of foxing, one would be able to isolate the causal agent or organism involved, and that this would be easily repeated from one instance to another. However, this has not been the case. Additionally, foxing occurs in environments which are not excessively humid, and in those that are not necessarily conducive to fungal growth.

I would not own or keep moldy comics in close proximity to others. Mold will spread. Period. Spores do not care if your books are individually Mylar-ed or not. Conversely, foxing will not spread to other books under ideal storage conditions. However, I would err to the cautious side.

I hope this helps a bit. :)

Divad sums things up pretty well.

On the subject of mold, it is another strike against "wonder breading" rather than using materials like a dry erase pad. Bits of leftover bread CAN encourage mold growth as well as insect nibbles.