• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How are CGC Graded Books Valued??????

11 posts in this topic

I've been looking at prices and I can't figure the breakdown on books. How are they priced?? Is there a formula based on the grade and can anyone help me here? confused.gif Heritage notes the Overstreet value and then lists a estimate???

How are Golden Age and Silver Age prices figured out??????

-Adam

When you figure it out, please let us know.

To paraphrase Marty Sheen from Apocalypse Now:

"I don't... see any... pattern... at all... sir"

Much of it seems to be arbitrary, but some dealers have a rule of thumb for estimating books that grade 9.4 or higher. That formula is to take guide value and multiply a certain number times as the grade improves...

Sometimes for more common books that formula is to take slabbing cost, shipping fees incurred and guide value for the book and make that your starting price. Others are happy to set the price at the price of slabbing the book, others just don't care and will take a loss on it to get rid of it.

Kev

That is a very good question, but the best answer that I can give you is this, a book is only worth what somebody is willing to give. Even respectable, well known, and accepted price guides like OverStreet are general guidelines/averages of what people are willing to give for a book. Don't fall into the line of thinking that just because 1 or 2 people are willing to give X amount of dollars for a book that it is worth that to the other 98% of collectors.

Specifically addressing the question, it depends on the grade of the CGC book, and it depends on the rarity of the book, and even the period of time (Golden/Silver, etc.). Personally I am not willing to pay multiples of guide, and rarely am I willing to pay guide. There are books that should bring multiples of guide like the Action 25 CGC 9.6 heritage auction, but only a small percentage of total collectors can afford this kind of EXREMLY RARE in such high grade golden age book.

I think what happens with books is that they fall into a PRICE RANGE, not so much a multiple of guide as a set rule. Like, you can have a book that guides for $35.00, yet due to the rarity of the book in high grade, then it might sell for say $355.00 --now, you can have a book that guides for $105 , then find it in high grade slabbed for $200. - no pattern, no gauge to compare it to....I think that there are books that people will pay big money for, for the Key books, or really cool covers, yet, there's others that might be worth big money on paper only....no one will pay it. -

and the best thing is, prices will always go UP on your CGC books! Just ask anybody on these boards! Well, not anybody. Don't ask delekkerste. or Comic INvestor, or me, or blowout. But ask anybody else. Prices just go up up up and way!

Amazingly, a platinum Spidey 1 did sell for $1,400 during the 1st month these elusive dealer only premiums entered the mkt. Can't recall if the price was inflated b/c the copy was signed by Todd to raise funds for a charity or else we specs were overcome w/ super-hype at that time. CVM trumpeted Todd's Spidey 1 as the 2nd coming. Very ltd to approx. 10,000 copies.

and the best thing is, prices will always go UP on your CGC books! Just ask anybody on these boards!

That's just impossibly sad. Please tell me there is more to the "Crash" argument than that. Please. From EITHER side please prove to me that there is more to the argument than that. I am horrified that you people would sit and argue something that ridiculous... but at the same time, I'm starting to wonder...