• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently inherited a comic collection

65 posts in this topic

I agree as well. Basement seems fine to me also as long as it's not too humid and the temperature stays consistent.

And that's where the trouble lies, depending on where you are. In New England basements are generally humid; bad for books. They are dark and cool, but really fail in that third important category.

And the general risk for flooding (water pipe breaking) is greater there than in any other place in the house.

I ALMOST googled WTTB before I figured out what it meant :)

Hell, I still dont know what it means.. anyone wanna fill me in.. or is it some kinda secret knights templar thing..

WTTB = Welcome To The Boards

Some nicer stuff on your desk... Avengers 25, New Mutants 98, Silver Surfer 9... So you seem to have an idea of some of the keys.

(thumbs u

EDIT: But yeah, like Pirate said, most of the books are not worth much and will be hard to sell individually.

I laughed when I read sckao's post because when I looked at the photos, I focussed on the same books, and had the same sentiment.

Welcome to the Boards!

I agree as well. Basement seems fine to me also as long as it's not too humid and the temperature stays consistent.

And that's where the trouble lies, depending on where you are. In New England basements are generally humid; bad for books. They are dark and cool, but really fail in that third important category.

And the general risk for flooding (water pipe breaking) is greater there than in any other place in the house.

My basement in northern Vermont will make mold grow on the legs of the hardwood furniture just from the humidity. My comic room will go here someday after I permantly move in and I climate control the environment.

Yup I agree. My basement in Massachusetts could NEVER hold comics. We have a sump pump down there and a de-humidifier and it still gets mold down there sometimes.

I keep my comics in a seperate bedroom and most are going in a large cedar trunk soon.

I'm sorry I'm embarassed haha.

I was closing up my office at work and wanted to make that post. I just realized how bad it needed to be double checked! haha

I meant to say I got a free collection from a friend but I guess I had a brain fart. I'm allowed that once in a while. My job is tiring lol.

Alright I'm back from the game. Just a note that none of these comics are for sale or for trade with respect to the original owner.

A bit more history on the collection:

It is sad for me to say this, but the original owner did not store the collection well. It was in an unfinished basement :( When a large storm hit (I think it was Hurricane Floyd), a large chunk of the collection got severe water damage to the point where the books were unreadable and were thrown out. Some of the books were salvageable so that they could be read, but the damage on them was done. Luckily, a large amount survived and were kept well, so that is to thank for.

More pics coming up in a little while.

Oh btw, I have been collecting comic casually almsot all my life but have never really had a lot (i.e. one longbox). But with the acquisition of this collection, I have definately become a more serious collector.

Ok. One last book before I head off for the night. I think this is probably one of the coolest books in the whole collection, because I am a spider man fan and never thought I would actually ever own it.

Not the best looking, but I still think its pretty cool:

IMG_7502.jpg

Coverless ASM 9.

Good night all

Exactly. If your basements maintains low relative humidity, a basement is a great place to store comics - until a pipe bursts or the basement leaks during a rainstorm, both of which tend to occur without warning. Attics and garages are bad places to store comics too, for different reasons, but the point is that none of these three places are good places to store comics.

If your basements maintains low relative humidity, a basement is a great place to store comics - until a pipe bursts or the basement leaks during a rainstorm, both of which tend to occur without warning. Attics and garages are bad places to store comics too, for different reasons, but the point is that none of these three places are good places to store comics.

Basement seemed to work okay for that Edgar fellow. And the White Mountain dude. And the Western Pennsylvania guy. (shrug)

If your basements maintains low relative humidity, a basement is a great place to store comics - until a pipe bursts or the basement leaks during a rainstorm, both of which tend to occur without warning. Attics and garages are bad places to store comics too, for different reasons, but the point is that none of these three places are good places to store comics.

Basement seemed to work okay for that Edgar fellow. And the White Mountain dude. And the Western Pennsylvania guy. (shrug)

A basement in the Southern and coastal states is very different than a basement inland or up here in Canada.

I know that many of the homes I've been in throughout the US do not consider the basement a dwelling area. We do and they are more often than not well built, dry and comfortable.

In fact in our new home the basement is our master bedroom and office.

The kids own the upstairs.