• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #5 - Susan Ciccone Restoration Lab - before/after

123 posts in this topic

Look...if one starts a thread like this, hoping for the masses to go ooh and aah, then what is the big deal about posting an approximate price. Nobody gives a flying leap if the price has a variable of a hundred bucks either way. To make your book look like it does now, is it a $50 process, a $500 process, a $2,000 process, or a 10k process? I think FF was looking for a ballpark number and didn't need it to include the cost of shipping both ways. Nor was it that personal a question. You don't want to answer it, that's fine but then don't bother starting the thread.

Jim

Jim:

People post books, by themselves, here all the time. How much fun would it be if people started posting, "How much did you pay for that?" The OP wasn't a solicitation of business for Susan. He was just posting a book. The OP said he didn't want to discuss how much it cost to have done. It's not hiding the ball, he just doesn't want to say. I don't understand the fuss?

Buzz buzz

I can appreciate Fantastic Fours(and others) interest regarding how much it cost Foom to have this particular book restored, as much as I can respect Fooms desire to not go into the details. People have always been interested in the cost effecftiveness of having books restored, then again people always like to keep cards close to their vest too. hm

That said, even though you cannot directly relate Fooms cost to restore a similar condition book because there are too many variables. You could use his basic cost as a gauge for what it takes to get a book like his restored to this condition. My guess is around $400-$600 But since we do not know what exactly was done,or how long it took all we can go by is what we see(through the Mylar anyways) and from what I see the book looks amazing. That was apparently Fooms main goal so I say it was money well spent.

I think much of the frustration Scott mentioned stems from longstanding stigma that already surround restoration in our Hobby. Here we have a guy with a book who wants to show off the results. Yet we only get see the book in a Mylar, and are not allowed to discuss what was done, or how much it cost.

And yes I am ribbing ya Foom. :kidaround:

Ya don't show off your new car by keeping it under the car cover! Take that puppy out, let's see the book. I for one am very interested in seeing it at all angles possible. It isn't going to look perfect, resto never does. Covers shrink, CT stands out, interior covers show tear seals..etc..etc.. But showing the book as it is can only help people better understand what even good resto looks like under a bad light.

Now..aren't you glad you shared your book with the class! We are such an ungrateful lot.

No good gesture shall go unpunished! :sumo:

And this thread is exactly why my post count is so low after 8 years.

This thread is only a week old. What kept your post count so low for the other 415 weeks?

This thread is only a week old. What kept your post count so low for the other 415 weeks?

I find your post condescending.

Do you always talk down to board members?

What are you insinuating? :mad:

That tall people can't help it.

:insane:

:censored: you Longhorn.

You'll be glad to know that I think I have decided to root for Texas next week. I just dislike Alabama and Sabin that much.

:acclaim:

:censored: you Longhorn.

You'll be glad to know that I think I have decided to root for Texas next week. I just dislike Alabama and Sabin that much.

I'm a little worried about both you and the game.

He is.... tall, not always condescending, but definetly tall.

Look...if one starts a thread like this, hoping for the masses to go ooh and aah, then what is the big deal about posting an approximate price. Nobody gives a flying leap if the price has a variable of a hundred bucks either way. To make your book look like it does now, is it a $50 process, a $500 process, a $2,000 process, or a 10k process? I think FF was looking for a ballpark number and didn't need it to include the cost of shipping both ways. Nor was it that personal a question. You don't want to answer it, that's fine but then don't bother starting the thread.

Jim

Jim:

People post books, by themselves, here all the time. How much fun would it be if people started posting, "How much did you pay for that?" The OP wasn't a solicitation of business for Susan. He was just posting a book. The OP said he didn't want to discuss how much it cost to have done. It's not hiding the ball, he just doesn't want to say. I don't understand the fuss?

Buzz buzz

I can appreciate Fantastic Fours(and others) interest regarding how much it cost Foom to have this particular book restored, as much as I can respect Fooms desire to not go into the details. People have always been interested in the cost effecftiveness of having books restored, then again people always like to keep cards close to their vest too. hm

That said, even though you cannot directly relate Fooms cost to restore a similar condition book because there are too many variables. You could use his basic cost as a gauge for what it takes to get a book like his restored to this condition. My guess is around $400-$600 But since we do not know what exactly was done,or how long it took all we can go by is what we see(through the Mylar anyways) and from what I see the book looks amazing. That was apparently Fooms main goal so I say it was money well spent.

I think much of the frustration Scott mentioned stems from longstanding stigma that already surround restoration in our Hobby. Here we have a guy with a book who wants to show off the results. Yet we only get see the book in a Mylar, and are not allowed to discuss what was done, or how much it cost.

And yes I am ribbing ya Foom. :kidaround:

Ya don't show off your new car by keeping it under the car cover! Take that puppy out, let's see the book. I for one am very interested in seeing it at all angles possible. It isn't going to look perfect, resto never does. Covers shrink, CT stands out, interior covers show tear seals..etc..etc.. But showing the book as it is can only help people better understand what even good resto looks like under a bad light.

Now..aren't you glad you shared your book with the class! We are such an ungrateful lot.

No good gesture shall go unpunished! :sumo:

What good gesture? (shrug) I understand foo's right to keep cost to himself. He might be getting a discount for whatever reason and Susan might not want him to share it.

I waited to see if Foo would respond or post some pics before I say what I was thinking but nothing yet so.....

Here is what I do have a problem with. If you just want to post "hey look what I got" thats fine but when you say restore you get people's attention only to be bumbed from lack of detail.A post like Foo's is only a tease at best with such a poor image of the after.Even in the grading section the pic wouldn't get a single grade as you can't see much. Kenny is right, Restore is going to show no matter what so no sense trying to hide it. We all know Susan can do good work but I am curious how it would grade now compared to the before condition and you can't do that from the single shot you took Foo. I'm not as picky as Kenny with a bunch of angle shots, I would settle for a scan just like the before with same scanner and settings but what Kenny is asking for isn't unreasonable considering the topic. 2c

Look...I know Foomy and he's happy with how the book turned out, happy with the overall cost of what it took for the price of the original FF 5 and the restoration and the results...so he just wanted to show the book and have others (hopefully :wishluck: ) share positively in the results...

I don't think he gives a s h i t e that the book should now move through Comic CSI for a complete forensic analysis. It's what it is. It's much nicer. It's a book he did the work on for himself. It wasn't a shill for Susan, but I know for a fact he likes the work she has performed and I, from afar, can't disagree.

It is 100% predictable that x number of board members will come forth on a post such as this and ATTACK! It's quite comical (excuse the pun :insane: ) actually. People DEMANDING that the OP give more info. What is this...a Grand Jury?

Any further info the OP might put forth will only serve up more bile from the gastric discourse that is brewing in this post. (:

On that note, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Look...I know Foomy and he's happy with how the book turned out, happy with the overall cost of what it took for the price of the original FF 5 and the restoration and the results...so he just wanted to show the book and have others (hopefully :wishluck: ) share positively in the results...

I don't think he gives a s h i t e that the book should now move through Comic CSI for a complete forensic analysis. It's what it is. It's much nicer. It's a book he did the work on for himself. It wasn't a shill for Susan, but I know for a fact he likes the work she has performed and I, from afar, can't disagree.

It is 100% predictable that x number of board members will come forth on a post such as this and ATTACK! It's quite comical (excuse the pun :insane: ) actually. People DEMANDING that the OP give more info. What is this...a Grand Jury?

Any further info the OP might put forth will only serve up more bile from the gastric discourse that is brewing in this post. (:

A big (thumbs u and a Happy New Year to you as well, Mister Moore!

Attack, and Demanding, and Grand Jurys.

Oh My!

Attack, and Demanding, and Grand Jurys.

Oh My!

doh!

I must be missing something Tom. Foom created a thread in the Restoration Forum about a book he had Restored. People asked to see it, how much it cost and wanted to discuss it. Poor Foom, I hope he can overcome this unprecedented CGC Forum attack on his person!

:P

Aside from the unintentional Susan/H.I.V.E. derailment I don't understand why this thread never not get back on track.

Oh well...moving on.

Happy New Year everybody.

it would be interesting to see a new thread identical to this one for a resto job performed by someone othet than Susan... someone who doesnt inspire such overheated emotion around here...

Well....my Daredevil #1 is being restored by Matt Nelson as we speak and it's going straight to CGC after he's done with it. I have no idea when I'll receive it back in hand but I'll definitely show before and after pics when I do get it back. (thumbs u