• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you grade?

95 posts in this topic

Trmoore54...Please show me where I said Boozad couldn't grade a book?? I said I would/will put my knowledge up against his anytime. I might win or I might loose. Grading, first app., classic covers, etc... Over all general knowledge. There are a lot of people on this board that have a lot of knowledge over me. It's always a learning process. Be that as it may be. I'll put my knowledge up against Boozads anytime.....

I bet you would. Actually no I don't, you wouldn't pay.

And please learn how to spell and use grammar you '. Or at least how to use the English language.

Sorry about my mistaken post trmoore54... I quoted the wrong person. No, my name isn't Ben...

He was asking you if your name was Ben, I think he was asking Dover (thumbs u

:roflmao:

Get it Dover, Ben Dover

I tend to look at a book and get an overall feel for the grade, writing down VF etc. I then count the pages, give it a wiff and check for all the positives and negatives of the book. I then use OSG to either raise or lower the grade based on the 10 point scale, if thats the accurate term these days. I then hand the book to my wife who usually tells me i'm right or embarrases me with a greater talent for spotting defects in my valued books I most likely overgraded and I compromise. If I have problems nailing a grade then I post the book on the PGM forum and I get a consus that helps.

By the way Gavs grading Rocks :cool:

The first thing I do is smell the book looking for the acidic smell. The second thing I always do is a page count. As I do the page count I also check the page quality and check for defects such as for writing, tears, cutouts, bleed through from amateur resto, staple quality etc.

-I always smell the book, note the heft and strength, and note the page quality.

-I rarely do a page count, unless the weight is off; it's amazing how accurate this is.

-Staple inspection is paramount.

-At this point (before I conduct a detailed accounting of the structural defects), I have formed a first impression of the grade; this rarely goes up in grade, more often down; it generally serves as a ceiling for the grade.

-I do a detailed accounting of the structural defects.

-I assign a grade based on having graded a zillion books. :grin:

One helpful concept (and I give the credit for this to Richard Muchin) is to think of the grade as a brief verbal description of the book. When I say “FINE” or “VERY FINE” you should be able to get an image in your mind of roughly what to expect. It’s the language of comic books, so to speak, and an attempt to give you an idea of what you’ll get without describing all the tiny details.

In that sense, there’s both an art and a science to it. The science is narrowing it down to a range, e.g. there should never be a FN book with a 3 inch chunk out of the cover. The art then becomes narrowing it down further - and that’s where the subjectivity comes in. When people say grading is subjective, that’s only partially true. It’s subjective to a point, but beyond that it’s not.

Using this descriptive/language analogy makes me take a bit of a different approach sometimes. For example, say I have a book that’s structurally a VG, but has great colors, gloss, and white paper. I have no problems saying that’s a VG+. On the other hand, if it was dirty, dingy, and the paper was iffy I would have no problem down-grading it to a VG- or GVG despite it actually being technically nicer. In that manner, I’m basically saying this book is in “average shape” (which is what a VG is supposed to be for GA), but has some features that either make it more or less desirable.

One helpful concept (and I give the credit for this to Richard Muchin) is to think of the grade as a brief verbal description of the book. When I say “FINE” or “VERY FINE” you should be able to get an image in your mind of roughly what to expect. It’s the language of comic books, so to speak, and an attempt to give you an idea of what you’ll get without describing all the tiny details.

In that sense, there’s both an art and a science to it. The science is narrowing it down to a range, e.g. there should never be a FN book with a 3 inch chunk out of the cover. The art then becomes narrowing it down further - and that’s where the subjectivity comes in. When people say grading is subjective, that’s only partially true. It’s subjective to a point, but beyond that it’s not.

Using this descriptive/language analogy makes me take a bit of a different approach sometimes. For example, say I have a book that’s structurally a VG, but has great colors, gloss, and white paper. I have no problems saying that’s a VG+. On the other hand, if it was dirty, dingy, and the paper was iffy I would have no problem down-grading it to a VG- or GVG despite it actually being technically nicer. In that manner, I’m basically saying this book is in “average shape” (which is what a VG is supposed to be for GA), but has some features that either make it more or less desirable.

Good post....it's always been my belief that grading is only subjective when someone is attempting to OVER grade a book, like trying to squeeze a fine plus into the very fine category while still being able to sleep at night lol ....unfortunately, we've probably all done it at one time or another. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I'm like you and tend to reserve the "plus" designation when something exceptional is present like great gloss, white pages, or a real sharp spine.

Very well articulated.

I count the pages, smell the book, and start at NM and work my way down depending on defects. then I feel as though a great weight has been lifted, sigh of relief, then start again on same book but from Poor up, using positive grade signs as exculpatory evidence of higher grade. Then when it's in the mylar I know I graded it and we're DONE!

BTW I grade using CGC standards that I can never share with you :preach:

it's true. had to sign the non disclosure ya know

actually I WILL REVEAL THIS ONLY

1. place comics (as many as will fit) into GIANT ZIP-LOCK bag.

2. add powder. (anything but gun- prolly mustard is ok)

3. SHAKE vigorously

4. empty contents

5. Dust it off with MEDIUM brush (very important)

6. place in glass pan

7. let set in fridge for 1 hour

8 remove

viola! instant grade

Here's how I grade.

I set up a dart board with little slips of paper from .5 all the way to 10.0.

I close my eyes.

I throw the dart.

I assign the grade the dart hits. (If it misses a slip of paper I assign a grade of 6.0)

Wait a tic, that isn't how I grade it's how 90% of ebay sellers grade.

Wanna know how I determine price?

Here's how I grade.

I set up a dart board with little slips of paper from .5 all the way to 10.0.

I close my eyes.

I throw the dart.

I assign the grade the dart hits. (If it misses a slip of paper I assign a grade of 6.0)

Wait a tic, that isn't how I grade it's how 90% of ebay sellers grade.

Wanna know how I determine price?

And if the dart hits below 8.0, they ignore it and throw again :applause: