• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A text indentation question

32 posts in this topic

Was the experiment done using a tacking iron? Just curious as you mention no press being used...

(shrug)

Good results, however, I don't think even the most clueless of shop owners would mark a tag so heavily. Still, nice results, especially seeing as how it was the extreme end of spectrum.

Was the experiment done using a tacking iron? Just curious as you mention no press being used...

(shrug)

Thats what I was thinking plus a little moisture too.

Good results, however, I don't think even the most clueless of shop owners would mark a tag so heavily. Still, nice results, especially seeing as how it was the extreme end of spectrum.

I have seen plenty of books with that kind of damage and even worse ones wore completely through.

It absolutely can be removed. And, as long as the indent doesn't break any color, you'd never be able to tell it was ever there.

I had my Hulk 181 pressed. Book got hammered for two of these "indents". One of them did slightly break color on a portion of the indent.

After the pressing my book came back a 7.0 (was originally a 6.0).

Good defects (do not break color)

Dents

Bends

Folds

Light creases

Minor spine stresses

Impacted corners or edges

Slight warping

Ripples

Slight spine rolls

Waviness

Light cover impressions

Light pencil marks

Bad defects

Dirt Creases that break color

Missing chips or pieces

Tears

Stains

Detached staples or staple tears

Spine stresses that break color

Fading

Fingerprints

Dust shadows or Sun shadows

Rusted staples or rust stains

Rounded or blunted corners

Pen markings

Cover veins

Dust shadows are often easily removed or at the very least can be mitigated. Blunted corners can also be pressed out (in some cases as good as new) as long as they are in the white/uninked areas of the cover. If they are in the inked areas of the cover they can still be flattened, but the missing ink on the creased areas will still show.

It absolutely can be removed. And, as long as the indent doesn't break any color, you'd never be able to tell it was ever there.

An indent can certainly be too deep to be fully removed without it breaking color. If the fibers are too badly broken (and they can be without breaking color) they simply not reform back to the original. And even extreme localised attempts can still leave remnants of the impression. :hi:

An indent can certainly be too deep to be fully removed without it breaking color. If the fibers are too badly broken (and they can be without breaking color) they simply not reform back to the original. And even extreme localised attempts can still leave remnants of the impression. :hi:

Yeah, I didn't read the whole thread before I posted. Kenny's example shows just what you say.

It has to be pretty severe. The indents in my book were pretty heavy, IMO. The only thing you can see now is the appx 1.5" color break. My book had two indents: one ran horizontal across Wolverine's midsection and into Hulk and was appx 2". The other ran vertically and was about 3" (this indent had the color break in it).