• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm going to start collecting again...but what?

52 posts in this topic

I recommend telling us what your favorite few story arcs were and the group can throw out suggestions based on what you already know you like. I also agree with the other boardies who've suggested buying trades/hardcovers to read. If you find a few you enjoy, you can go buy mint copies of the actual issues.

If you are collecting moderns to read I would suggest Chew, The Boys and Walking Dead. TPBs will get you (hooked) and up to speed pretty quick. All are great reads. The current Blackest Night Green Lantern storyline is also a pretty good read. Whatever you do though, STAY AWAY from the RULK! If you are looking to buy back issues I would suggest the selling section in this forum. Lots of great stuff. I haven't bought or sold anything here, but I like the idea of avoiding ebay fees. In otherwords, you will get more bang for your buck.

As a follow up to my TPB comments:

Read some or all and enjoyed:

Bone (Smith)

Fables (Willingham)

Saga of Swamp Thing (Moore)

Sandman (Gaiman)

Y the Last Man (Vaughan)

Haven't read yet, but are sitting on my shelves waiting for me:

Ex Machina (Vaughan)

Hellboy (Mignola)

Invincible (Kirkman)

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Moore)

Powers (Bendis)

Preacher (Ennis)

Promethea (Moore)

Walking Dead (Kirkman)

Also, check out this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisner_Award#Best_Writer

I haven't been collecting comics for some time. In fact I sold all of my comics some time ago. But recently something has been missing to fulfill my spare time. I have a full-time job and run my own fight website on the side. Both take up a lot of time and with the new house and planning a family with my wife, it leaves me little spare time. With the spare time I do have left over, I would like to start collecting again. My biggest problem is keeping focus and not changing what I want to collect all the time. (Perhaps I have a slight case of ADD?) Anyway I have collected undergrounds, horror, Iron Man, and a few other things I can't remember. But does anyone have some suggestions? I just want to collect something that keeps me interested. I really have no idea.

I haven't read the rest of the thread...so this may have already been suggested. I found that after years of collecting and then selling, that maybe focusing wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I always had varied tastes and could never afford to amass runs of everything I liked, so I chose NOT to focus. I decided to go after my own personal icon books in as nice a grade as I could afford....all ages and genres that I like. My collection will someday be something like a box of a dealer's wall books.I found that even in my favorite titles,for me...FF, there were books that just put me in a whole new frame of mind and others that were just kind of there. Why delegate resources to the fillers ? I found that I really get into my collection now...even though there might be a Venus 18 in the same stack with a Saga of the Swamp Thing 34, an FF 13, and a Weird Science 20. It may not be the answer for everyone, but it works for me. Try to come up with a list of the top 50 books that you love the most or have always wanted. That is kind of fun and illuminating in itself. GOD BLESS..

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I haven't been collecting comics for some time. In fact I sold all of my comics some time ago. But recently something has been missing to fulfill my spare time. I have a full-time job and run my own fight website on the side. Both take up a lot of time and with the new house and planning a family with my wife, it leaves me little spare time. With the spare time I do have left over, I would like to start collecting again. My biggest problem is keeping focus and not changing what I want to collect all the time. (Perhaps I have a slight case of ADD?) Anyway I have collected undergrounds, horror, Iron Man, and a few other things I can't remember. But does anyone have some suggestions? I just want to collect something that keeps me interested. I really have no idea.

James! :hi:

Nice to see you getting back in the game, mate. (thumbs u

I have a giant pile of Strawberry Shortcake in 9.8 condition - I suggest you start there! PLEEEASEEE start there!

If you really have this, :takeit:

I'll arm wrestle you for them.

I haven't read the rest of the thread...so this may have already been suggested. I found that after years of collecting and then selling, that maybe focusing wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I always had varied tastes and could never afford to amass runs of everything I liked, so I chose NOT to focus. I decided to go after my own personal icon books in as nice a grade as I could afford....all ages and genres that I like. My collection will someday be something like a box of a dealer's wall books.I found that even in my favorite titles,for me...FF, there were books that just put me in a whole new frame of mind and others that were just kind of there. Why delegate resources to the fillers ? I found that I really get into my collection now...even though there might be a Venus 18 in the same stack with a Saga of the Swamp Thing 34, an FF 13, and a Weird Science 20. It may not be the answer for everyone, but it works for me. Try to come up with a list of the top 50 books that you love the most or have always wanted. That is kind of fun and illuminating in itself. GOD BLESS..

Great advice.

Great advice.

+1