• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm going to start collecting again...but what?

52 posts in this topic

I also recommend The Goon. I think it's a series you'd really like. You may also like Daredevil Vol. 2.

And the best thing to do is collect what makes you happy.

I am going through this very thing. After 5 yrs of focusing on original art, I found myself extremely discouraged with the hobby. Escalating prices, lack of material (within my collecting focus) and being unable to be as active as I would like, I have decided to get back into comics.

Selling all my OA, I have been able to get some books, pay off some debt and really have found the "fun" back into the hobby.

I think Jimbo's advice is dead on. I brainstormed and wrote out all the books I would want in my collections. Not taking into account price, scarcity or character. I decided that I would fill this list as I could, getting the grade I could find/afford/want to spend on that particular book.

I would spend more on certain books depending on my attachment to them. I have a thing about the Flash/Superman race books....so I want to get as high a grade for these as I can.....but a FF 48 that I really want in my collection, a 9.0 would do fine.

It's up to you to find what motivates you to stay active and enjoy the hobby.

I am going through this very thing. After 5 yrs of focusing on original art, I found myself extremely discouraged with the hobby. Escalating prices, lack of material (within my collecting focus) and being unable to be as active as I would like, I have decided to get back into comics.

Selling all my OA, I have been able to get some books, pay off some debt and really have found the "fun" back into the hobby.

I think Jimbo's advice is dead on. I brainstormed and wrote out all the books I would want in my collections. Not taking into account price, scarcity or character. I decided that I would fill this list as I could, getting the grade I could find/afford/want to spend on that particular book.

I would spend more on certain books depending on my attachment to them. I have a thing about the Flash/Superman race books....so I want to get as high a grade for these as I can.....but a FF 48 that I really want in my collection, a 9.0 would do fine.

It's up to you to find what motivates you to stay active and enjoy the hobby.

I doubt you'll regret this decision. Another factor that applies to my collection is WHO I bought the book from. Mine is a small collection and quite a few came from boardies that I hold in high regard....and I remember where I got each one from. One of my favorites, for example, is Burntboy's original owner copy of FF 35....it's probably only a 7.0, but it looks 9.0 in the mylar. FF 35 was also the first "old" FF I ever owned...my first copy was bought at a church bazaar that I was too lazy to go to as a kid, by my mom. Harry has always been first class in my book and every time I take it out, which is often, I think about all the cool times I've had on these boards and my AWESOME Mom, who passed away at the age of 58. Please keep us posted on new additions...this is the kind of stuff I like to hear about. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I haven't been collecting comics for some time. In fact I sold all of my comics some time ago. But recently something has been missing to fulfill my spare time. I have a full-time job and run my own fight website on the side. Both take up a lot of time and with the new house and planning a family with my wife, it leaves me little spare time. With the spare time I do have left over, I would like to start collecting again. My biggest problem is keeping focus and not changing what I want to collect all the time. (Perhaps I have a slight case of ADD?) Anyway I have collected undergrounds, horror, Iron Man, and a few other things I can't remember. But does anyone have some suggestions? I just want to collect something that keeps me interested. I really have no idea.

I haven't read the rest of the thread...so this may have already been suggested. I found that after years of collecting and then selling, that maybe focusing wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I always had varied tastes and could never afford to amass runs of everything I liked, so I chose NOT to focus. I decided to go after my own personal icon books in as nice a grade as I could afford....all ages and genres that I like. My collection will someday be something like a box of a dealer's wall books.I found that even in my favorite titles,for me...FF, there were books that just put me in a whole new frame of mind and others that were just kind of there. Why delegate resources to the fillers ? I found that I really get into my collection now...even though there might be a Venus 18 in the same stack with a Saga of the Swamp Thing 34, an FF 13, and a Weird Science 20. It may not be the answer for everyone, but it works for me. Try to come up with a list of the top 50 books that you love the most or have always wanted. That is kind of fun and illuminating in itself. GOD BLESS..

Perhaps your best post ever Jimbo. :cloud9: Set goals and collect them.

Thanks, Torch....and with this type of collection, it's so unrestrictive. I have to do so much focusing at work....it's nice not to have my hobby follow suit. BTW....here's Harry's old FF 35 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

FF35SL-1.jpg

Thanks, Torch....and with this type of collection, it's so unrestrictive. I have to do so much focusing at work....it's nice not to have my hobby follow suit. BTW....here's Harry's old FF 35 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

FF35SL-1.jpg

Your post makes so much sense and clearly states the trent in comic collecting today, especially in the GA arena. Classic books and covers and skip the rest. It also allows a collector to experience great variety. If someone is after a complete GA Action set he won't have the resources to chase other books for a long long time.

I once thought about attempting to get one copy from every comic book series ever published, but decided against it. Scrooge's 1952 collection is a neat idea...every comic published with a cover date of his birthday. It wasn't as easy as you would think. GOD BLESS...