• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kid Colt Outlaw 1

80 posts in this topic

Every now and then I get lucky and find one that adamstrange hasn't already absconded with...

:taptaptap:

Every now and then I get lucky and find one that adamstrange hasn't already absconded with...

The truth hurts. (and it hurts the rest of us because we don't have your books!)

You misunderstood. I'm waiting for you to send it to be part of the Adam Strange repository of Atomic Age Comics. :whistle:

The truth hurts. (and it hurts the rest of us because we don't have your books!)

You misunderstood. I'm waiting for you to send it to be part of the Adam Strange repository of Atomic Age Comics. :whistle:

You wouldn't want it sullying the others.

Nice books! I like his lay-outs and composition, but just am not a fan of his artistic style. Different strokes and all that...

I hear you Tim. I started there but I am progressively learning to like Maneely more and more. He has different "periods". I don't care for any of his covers in my 1952 set for example but I start to connect to his work until circa late 1954 / early 1955 and on.

Here are some more Western examples and one War cover -

92268.jpg.42db5e3bed6c27c07268bcd7ad36becf.jpg

92269.jpg.167b4416f1e256d5bd2b1bae2d38e9c6.jpg

92270.jpg.a1061e5c49222b67a7f736e844dfcb79.jpg

92271.jpg.e918fc6a50571d9443c51b2691042fe3.jpg

92272.jpg.8ea4f0aa1b0070143c5bf1890d6c4b8d.jpg

Maneely was doing so many covers for Stan at that time period, playing a role that Kirby or Kubert would late play at their respective company.

While Maneely did the cover to this Outlaw Kid issue

92268.jpg

the interior art is almost 100% Doug Wildey who did some really nice work, as per this splash to the 3 story -

92281.jpg.e840eed16dbedd566aacf87042545d27.jpg

I think there is a big difference in artistic sensibilities between Maneely and Kirby/Ditko.

I believe that Kirby and Ditko understood far more clearly how their work would reproduce in colour --- and penciled (and, in the case with Ditko, inked) accordingly.

I think there is a big difference in artistic sensibilities between Maneely and Kirby/Ditko.

I believe that Kirby and Ditko understood far more clearly how their work would reproduce in colour --- and penciled (and, in the case with Ditko, inked) accordingly.

One thing we need to remember about Maneely....he passed away at 32 years and had only been a pro for about 10 years. Kirby had him by 10 years. I'll always wonder what would have happened to Joe if he had lived. His work seemed to be in a continual state of improvement. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u