• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I get back into OA?

151 posts in this topic

Just a quick note, time payments for expensive stuff has been part of the hobby since I got into it in 1976.

How wide spread is it when buying original comic art?

I cannot imagine the average ebay seller would want anything to do with it.

Is this something you do with other collectors or dealers only?

How about auction houses?

How wide spread is it when buying original comic art?

Very widespread, most dealers will offer time payments. I have done it with several

I cannot imagine the average ebay seller would want anything to do with it.

Never tried, but I would tend to agree although I have bought with time payments on from one person on Ebay.

Is this something you do with other collectors or dealers only?

First cover I bought was from a board member and I paid for the cover over a three month period. I will do time payments on stuff I sell.

How about auction houses?

Heritage = yes, CLINK = I don't know, never tried.

Time payments are very common.

I've used and offered time payments before.

It's not huge money, but just a way for me to apply some discipline in my budget. Forcing me to either sell something before the next payment, or not buy b/c I know I have a payment coming up.

I've accepted time payments on stuff off ebay, but even on ebay, if the buyer contacts me ahead of time and we agree to terms, I have no problems with that. I know of other people who have done that on ebay purchases.

Malvin

Time payments has allowed me to get alot of art that I normally wouldn't be able to afford. Especially when a piece pops up that is on my wantlist. Many times, it isnt a long period of time for the time payment sometimes it may just be a month or so.

Most of the major pieces in my collection I got by doing time payments. There are a number of dealers who are very open to time payments their lengths.

Time payments are awesome. Soap Box: buy stuff you can afford, otherwise don't. Keeping it simple, stupid.

Dan

Ehh.. I see why people do it. Lets say you budget 1k/mth discretionary income for art. The pieces you want to buy that year are both 6k. one comes up in february and one in november. The first one you put on layaway, the second one you don't. The purchases are a lot more lumpy. Fewer transactions, bigger dollars. So depending on timing it may actually make sense. It can also be symptomatic of getting in too deep, but there are also times it may make legitimate sense.

I am normally okay with time payments, but recently (or not so recently) I've been made to feel very leery of them (at least on large purchases) I offered a piece up for sale with an agreed upon price and gave the person a year to pay as it was a lot of money. Well, it's been a year and I have only received 20%.

I offer time payments with Mahnke art all the time, just need to have a down payment and plans worked out ahead of time. Both Doug and I feel it is unrealistic most of the time to expect someone to purchase something with a big ticket and expect full payment immediately. Sometimes it happens, but a lot of times it works better for the collector and we hope to continue working this way! So far so good!

JJ