• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My New Years resolution

42 posts in this topic

So this year I decided I needed a new years resolution that I can actually enjoy trying to complete. Every year I start out with some well intentions about eating better or exercising more, but it usually falls to the wayside by February.

This time around I have decided to catch up on my reading. For years now, I have been behind on my comic book reading. I am always behind on the "hot" new titles that come out and miss out until it is too late (or expensive). I have titles that I was buying but not reading because I hadn't read the previous issues from years past.

Chew? Well, up until recently I thought that was what you did with food. I just got the TPB.

Walking dead? At first I thought someone wrote a book about me when I have to wake up early. I had to get the first 8 TPB's before I could start reading it monthly.

I have 4 Marvel Omnibuses, and I am only half through one of them. And it is the Hulk one...not exactly tall on dialogue either. :P

I have 2.5 long boxes of books that I haven't read yet.

You know that DC Showcase books that reprint older titles in blank and white? I have about 8 of those. I have started only 2 so far.

So this year, I decided to place a goal for myself of reading 1000 comics this year that I have not previously read.

As help, my wife set up a counter for me (which is now attached to my signature line), and I hope to read an average of 3 books a day for the year.

What I need from you guys is a helpful reminder sometimes if it seems that I am falling behind. I know I will as I have busy season in March and April, and will have no time to read then. But after that, I need to get back in the habit of reading regularly.

So as of last night, I am up to 19 books so far this year. Wish me luck...I'm going to need it. :ohnoez:

So this year, I decided to place a goal for myself of reading 1000 comics this year that I have not previously read.

As help, my wife set up a counter for me (which is now attached to my signature line), and I hope to read an average of 3 books a day for the year.

It'll be fun to watch your progress. (thumbs u

Geez, my wife wants to kick my arse when I read because from 9 - 11 pm every night that's all I do.

My wife often does freelance editing on the side. So she spends a lot of time on the computer some nights. And I just end up watching TV. Hmm, maybe that's why our marriage has lasted so long. hm

If you're reading moderns, 1000 shouldn't take too long :baiting:

Average modern 3 minute read, times that by 1000 and you get 3000 minutes. Divide by 60 minutes per hour you end up with 50 hours. You should have them read by saturday morning. :taptaptap:

Average modern 3 minute read, times that by 1000 and you get 3000 minutes. Divide by 60 minutes per hour you end up with 50 hours. You should have them read by saturday morning. :taptaptap:

They are not all moderns. It is a little of everything.

They are not all moderns. It is a little of everything.

With that attitude you will never complete the task mister!!! :sumo:

:taptaptap:

I know many people rip on moderns, and I agree you can read them too fast for the money, but that begs the question: How do you read comics? Do you read them by scanning the image and reading the dialog? Or do you really soak in each panel as well as the page as a whole, and totally immerse yourself in the story by looking at every detail of the art?

You can probably read any comic in under 10 minutes. But at the same time, if you wanted to, you could take your time and take 30 minutes to an hour.

I know many people rip on moderns, and I agree you can read them too fast for the money, but that begs the question: How do you read comics? Do you read them by scanning the image and reading the dialog? Or do you really soak in each panel as well as the page as a whole, and totally immerse yourself in the story by looking at every detail of the art?

You can probably read any comic in under 10 minutes. But at the same time, if you wanted to, you could take your time and take 30 minutes to an hour.

I like to get my moneys worth on anything I buy. I don't skim over books quickly just to get through them (otherwise I wouldn't have this problem in the first place). But I don't spend forever on them either.