• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Classic covers" that don't really do anything for you! I'll start...

144 posts in this topic

Okay I know this is blasphemy, but cover wise it doesn't do a whole lot for me.

hulk181.jpg

Wendigo's face looks weird and Wolverine's costume just looks cheesey.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually agree with you on the Hulk #181 cover.

And I'm a die hard Wolverine fan :o

Well the Superman 14 is classic for it's patriotism motif, not that s really amazing art or anything. It's good, don't get me wrong, but that's not why it is classic. So for someone born in France for example it would have about zero appeal.

The Batman is cool, but I wouldn't quite put it in "classic" status by any means.

The ASM 14 is a very important issue and I'd love to own it but to me it's just an OK cover.

The Steranko Nick Fury #6 on the other hand.. now that's a sweet cover. (thumbs u

As far as EC's, I think this cover is very underrated ( and not just because I have a nice copy! :) )

This is the kind of cover i like. Nice and detailed but not TOO busy. Nice composition and cool situation, and beautiful colors. ( Blue is also my favorite color which helps )

( Thanks Harley Yee for the scan :P )

june17shocksus3.JPG

As far as EC's, I think this cover is very underrated ( and not just because I have a nice copy! :) )

This is the kind of cover i like. Nice and detailed but not TOO busy. Nice composition and cool situation, and beautiful colors. ( Blue is also my favorite color which helps )

june17shocksus3.JPG

Sorry, guy, but that's a perfect example of an underwhelming EC cover. They had many more that were much superior.

june17shocksus3.JPG

Sorry, guy, but that's a perfect example of an underwhelming EC cover. They had many more that were much superior.

Haha, don't say sorry. I might not like one that you like. Different tastes.

Well the Superman 14 is classic for it's patriotism motif, not that s really amazing art or anything. It's good, don't get me wrong, but that's not why it is classic. So for someone born in France for example it would have about zero appeal.

:shy: That statement is not true.

(shrug)

livestock~captain.jpg

Liefeld Junk :P

Is this a cover?
smiley-sick016.gif

This picture could not possibly be considered a classic by anyone. It should not be posted in this thread. For that matter, it should not be posted anywhere ever again. The original and all copies should be destoyed and never looked upon by human eyes again.

When he finished this picture, did he say "Oh yeah. Perfect." How did he not look at the finished work and not crumple it up and throw it in the trash? As I struggle to get through every day financially it makes me sick to think about how much he was paid for this piece of spoon.

Batman_227_9-6.jpg

Sweet Jesus,This THE COOLEST Batman book ever.I cant believe it would be in this thread (shrug)

:o Same here! what's the problem? This is one of my top 5 favorite Batman covers of all time.
Dude,I love that Batman cover.

Some people don't like anything unless it has this logo on it :gossip:150_marvel_logo150.jpg

Well I used France as an example randomly, but why do you disagree? I think it's a classic because of it's patriotism and not nearly as much as it's artistic qualities. 2c

Batman_227_9-6.jpg

Sweet Jesus,This THE COOLEST Batman book ever.I cant believe it would be in this thread (shrug)

:o Same here! what's the problem? This is one of my top 5 favorite Batman covers of all time.
Dude,I love that Batman cover.

Some people don't like anything unless it has this logo on it :gossip:150_marvel_logo150.jpg

True, but for some reason I doubt the guy who posted this book to the thread feels that way. :whistle:

Startling 49 does nothing for me.

Glad to see some one agrees with me on that one. I posted same a few pages ago.

In the corner of great covers not recognized, I feel at least a couple of Russ Heath Atlas covers should be considered classic ... but I don't believe any are. :cry: At the very least War # 11 and potentially War Action # 14

I'd take a Startling 49 over a Suspense 3 any day based on the cover.

49-1.jpg

And I agree with the Phantom Lady 17 comments. Looking at my Gerber guide, the PL covers were not his finest moments. His Seven Seas covers are much superior work. (I'd still love a PL run, though...)

I'd have to disagree on the PL covers. There are, of course, a few covers that aren't the creme de la creme of Baker but I think 16 and 20 rock. I'd also like to say something about the PL17. Of course, it isn't my favorite cover of his career but it is iconic and does deserve recognition. Think about how controversial this would have been? And, even though she is obviously well endowed you get the impression there is more to her than just "headlights". As a female, I don't wince at this cover like I do at some of the modern age plastic stripper covers (no offense).

For the most part first issue/appearances designated here as "classic covers" don't really fit the bill, though they might be iconic just because of their familiarity. For the most part these covers aren't listed as "classic" outside of the hyperbole that accompanies a sale/auction listing.

While I might personally feel that some of the otherwise non-key classics posted may be a bit overrated, I can generally see their appeal. Usually the combination of composition, color and content makes them memorable, even if they aren't what I'd be interested in acquiring. I have a hard time thinking of generally acknowledged Gold and Silver age "classic covers" that don't do anything for me.

I'm a big L.B. Cole fan - and have some of his "classic" covers - but I've never been a big fan of his Mask covers, though I can see why others are. Suspense #8 & #11 are interesting, and if they were cheaper I'd probably own them, but I actually like the cover to #10 better - which is not widely considered classic.

Startling 49 does nothing for me.

Glad to see some one agrees with me on that one. I posted same a few pages ago.

In the corner of great covers not recognized, I feel at least a couple of Russ Heath Atlas covers should be considered classic ... but I don't believe any are. :cry: At the very least War # 11 and potentially War Action # 14

I'd take a Startling 49 over a Suspense 3 any day based on the cover.

49-1.jpg

And I agree with the Phantom Lady 17 comments. Looking at my Gerber guide, the PL covers were not his finest moments. His Seven Seas covers are much superior work. (I'd still love a PL run, though...)

I'd have to disagree on the PL covers. There are, of course, a few covers that aren't the creme de la creme of Baker but I think 16 and 20 rock. I'd also like to say something about the PL17. Of course, it isn't my favorite cover of his career but it is iconic and does deserve recognition. Think about how controversial this would have been? And, even though she is obviously well endowed you get the impression there is more to her than just "headlights". As a female, I don't wince at this cover like I do at some of the modern age plastic stripper covers (no offense).

Very well said, Jo....I can see why that and most of the others in this thread are classic....and some of the disdain that they receive may be due to over exposure on the ubiquitous internet. For me Classic status is almost an oxymoron....I love comics and probably over half of all the covers from 1940 to 1985 are classic to me lol ...I guess I just love comics. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.
I Think I found my new sig line. :cool:

more surrealism in covers? like this I can take it...

3183182181_2e3f03ed75_o.jpg

but that hulk cover is SO bad it makes me want to gouge my eyes out & get so drunk I never remember I saw it. :foryou:

(thumbs u I like that. But you see it doesn't have to be anything like that all the time. Something more clever would still do the trick, Like a FF #16 or Wonder Woman #83 would be awesome. Comics used to compete with each other on the rack,this way someone will look at it and say "I want that!!" They don't do that anymore. It's always a group shot or a fight scene zzz

FF#16 is my hands down favorite Kirby cover, so I agree completely there! New covers are so bland, I was calling it the "Bradstreet" effect because it seemed to really start with him, but I thought it would have gone away by now.

:signfunny: