• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Classic covers" that don't really do anything for you! I'll start...

144 posts in this topic

Batman_227_9-6.jpg

I'm with Greggy.

This one is a big "ehh" for me. Past a chimney or a rock over Batman's face and it looks exactly like each and every cover in my sister's gothic paperback romance collection. Durned near generic layout.

I like Matt Baker, but this cover just doesn't really do much for me. :shy:

phantomlady17-thumb-500x706.jpg

I hope this doesn't offend anyone...

this is the gayest post in the history of the boards.

Action_1.jpg
I kinda agree with this one. :P

+2

Yes, it lacks pizzazz but, it's all in the context for that cover. Compare it to every other book on the stands at the time and this cover is a real WOW!!

I like that Batman cover! Are people putting it down b/c it's so similar to that of 'Tec 31? I do agree with Rick though. Why the love for that one and less love for the Gothic counterpart.

On the Phantom Lady cover! Hate it, always have scratched my head on that one as being super-desirable. By a long shot, not the best work of Baker. He deserves to be recognized for his better effort.

As for the Wolverine / Hulk cover, one comment :sick:

I do like the Suspense 3, esp. the colors. (thumbs u

Okay I know this is blasphemy, but cover wise it doesn't do a whole lot for me.

hulk181.jpg

Wendigo's face looks weird and Wolverine's costume just looks cheesey.

I don't think it's blasphemy to say that IH 181 is a lame cover. Doesn't everyone know that? (shrug)

But it's kind of cool, in that Wolverine doesn't look anything at all like himself.

I like covers that are so early in a character's career that the character looks primitive. It adds to the sense of time and nostalgia.....

I hope this doesn't offend you, but you're a SPOON

edit: I don't think that was funny or appropriate.

:jokealert:

When I look at this cover I don't see Wolverine or the Hulk. I see a good concept ruined by bad art.

340-3.jpg

It's a classic because of it's design. Comics these days have horrible covers,Jim Lee draws the same cover over and over and people pay stupid amounts of cash for them. I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.

I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.
I Think I found my new sig line. :cool:

:jokealert:

Eh, that's pushing it, but ok. :whatev:

I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.
I Think I found my new sig line. :cool:

:acclaim: But it's true!

On the Phantom Lady cover! Hate it, always have scratched my head on that one as being super-desirable. By a long shot, not the best work of Baker. He deserves to be recognized for his better effort.

You're right, it's not Baker's best work. Not even close. That book's desirability has be tied to other things...

1. It's the poster child for SOTI.

2. Headlights.

3. It's obviously cold on that pier.

See, people are naming some books that I think have become classic covers because of their importance. I guess I was thinking more the other way around; books that are desirable more BECAUSE of their covers.

That's tough. If a book is not important other than it's cover, it's likely to be a damned impressive cover. I'm intrigued by this topic, but to be honest, nothing's coming to mind...