• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Classic covers" that don't really do anything for you! I'll start...

144 posts in this topic

On the Phantom Lady cover! Hate it, always have scratched my head on that one as being super-desirable. By a long shot, not the best work of Baker. He deserves to be recognized for his better effort.

You're right, it's not Baker's best work. Not even close. That book's desirability has be tied to other things...

1. It's the poster child for SOTI.

2. Headlights.

3. It's obviously cold on that pier.

I know how to rationalize the appeal. The first call is the correct call. It's beyond good taste. Still is sad to me that Baker, a fantastic cheesecake artist, is recalled for this poor attempt. Different strokes I guess. Give me a more subdued Jungle cover any day instead.

Okay, how about this one. Dramatic, yes, but does it make sense? Shouldn't PP be looking over his shoulder at Spidey, rather than the way it's depicted?

asm_50.jpg

On the Phantom Lady cover! Hate it, always have scratched my head on that one as being super-desirable. By a long shot, not the best work of Baker. He deserves to be recognized for his better effort.

You're right, it's not Baker's best work. Not even close. That book's desirability has be tied to other things...

2. Headlights.

I know how to rationalize the appeal. The first call is the correct call. It's beyond good taste. Still is sad to me that Baker, a fantastic cheesecake artist, is recalled for this poor attempt. Different strokes I guess. Give me a more subdued Jungle cover any day instead.

Really? I think this is one of the sexiest covers ever. (shrug)

Clarification--the Captain America "cover" is bad. The Captain Marvel cover is bad. I doubt that either is a classic--unless classic means talentless that has nothing to do with any story line.

2. Headlights.

I agree. I love that cover. :cloud9:

Okay, how about this one. Dramatic, yes, but does it make sense? Shouldn't PP be looking over his shoulder at Spidey, rather than the way it's depicted?

asm_50.jpg

No, cause since Peter Parker is spider-man, It's showing Spider-Man's back at the reader as if spider-man is turning his back on you.

When I look at this cover I don't see Wolverine or the Hulk. I see a good concept ruined by bad art.

340-3.jpg

It's a classic because of it's design. Comics these days have horrible covers,Jim Lee draws the same cover over and over and people pay stupid amounts of cash for them. I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.

I love this cover...

2. Headlights.

Don't get me wrong man, I'm not a fan of that cover either. (Or Giant Comics Editions 12 for that matter.) If I had to choose a Baker book to own just for the cover, it would be this one:

92033.jpg.c05765c0c4f91a9abd9422d1c39094cf.jpg

2. Headlights.

The Phantom Lady covers are good, but they aren't a patch on Baker's Seven Seas 4. One of only two GGA books I have in my collection and the only one I REALLY wanted.

SS04.jpg

Edit: The Cinderella Love posted directly above is now the third on my wantlist. Great cover!

I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.
I Think I found my new sig line. :cool:

more surrealism in covers? like this I can take it...

3183182181_2e3f03ed75_o.jpg

but that hulk cover is SO bad it makes me want to gouge my eyes out & get so drunk I never remember I saw it. :foryou:

2. Headlights.

The hair is all funky. The eyes are slightly wrong and her breasts look unnatural.

I am not going to argue that people seem to like this cover. That's why it's considered a classic, but, in the spirit of the thread, that particular PL cover gets my vote: it doesn't do anything for me.

Don't get me started on Startling 49 ... I prefer quite a few other Schomburg's airbrushed covers to that one, even though I don't have a dislike of the same level as I have with the Baker Phantom Lady.

but that hulk cover is SO bad it makes me want to gouge my eyes out & get so drunk I never remember I saw it. :foryou:

I get exactly the same feeing when I see NM98.

No point in putting up a picture - we've all seen it hundreds of times recently. IMHO It's one of Liefelds worst ever pics (And that is truely an astonishing acheivement).

I'm constantly staggered and amazed at the amounts some people are willing to pay for this trash. The only reason I hold on to my copy is to maintain my full run of NM

I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.
I Think I found my new sig line. :cool:

more surrealism in covers? like this I can take it...

3183182181_2e3f03ed75_o.jpg

(thumbs u I like that. But you see it doesn't have to be anything like that all the time. Something more clever would still do the trick, Like a FF #16 or Wonder Woman #83 would be awesome. Comics used to compete with each other on the rack,this way someone will look at it and say "I want that!!" They don't do that anymore. It's always a group shot or a fight scene zzz

Batman_227_9-6.jpg

Sweet Jesus,This THE COOLEST Batman book ever.I cant believe it would be in this thread (shrug)

The thing is, it's really not. Coolest cover perhaps. Now, if it had Adams interior to go with the cover, I think you'd be looking at something truly special

See, people are naming some books that I think have become classic covers because of their importance. I guess I was thinking more the other way around; books that are desirable more BECAUSE of their covers.

I'd put Spidey 1 in the former category. I find it badly composed and difficult on the eye.

As for the latter, that is far more fashion-dictated. Some covers get a lot of attention yet leave me scratching my head, as they don't deserve classic status to me.