• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: CES 2010 and the emergence of the Tablet PC (for comics)

56 posts in this topic

I'm intrigued by Sony's 3D Bravia TVs. The televisions will sell for about $5K, then all the extras for 3D format Blu-Rays, PS3 games, subscription 3D channels, and who knows what else.

Can you say... EPIC FAIL? :roflmao:

But I guess this type of "toss the spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks" technology development is needed, as we wouldn't get the gems otherwise.

Yes. So far the e-readers have been so unsuccessful that dozens of companies have now created one. CES was awash with e-readers.

I see you have not been following CES that long, as history is awash with failed "hot technologies" that companies forget to ask consumers if they actually want to pay for.

I can remember seeing wall-to-wall "virtual reality" helmets and eye-gear at one CES.. where is that now again? Or how about SFF computer systems, or mind-powered game controllers, or how about the PDA market, or 3Do, or Microsoft .NET applications, or WebTV, or... Plus, tons of e-readers have already come and gone, yet companies continue to try and recycle this flop into a success - my opinion is that digital e-readers, whose only function is to duplicate traditional paper media, are "digital wooden wheels" and doomed to failure.

The hot item for 2010 is the continued evolution of HD media players like the WDTV Live, O!Play Air, and your afore-mentioned Boxee Box. These e-readers are a blip compared to the digital HD movement.

Much of these products are a response to Amazon's Kindle, which has been a source of increasing revenue for Amazon.

But, again, don't be afraid to offer an opinion based on no facts, Vince. lol

You need to gather some real *facts* on how long companies have been trying to get e-readers to the mass market, as well as the fact that Amazon developed the Kindle to sell DIGITAL CONTENT, not make money on the hardware. doh!doh!

I bet you think Sony makes money on the PS3 hardware too, right? :insane:

You need to gather some real *facts* on how long companies have been trying to get e-readers to the mass market, as well as the fact that Amazon developed the Kindle to sell DIGITAL CONTENT, not make money on the hardware. doh!doh!

I bet you think Sony makes money on the PS3 hardware too, right? :insane:

And you don't think this new wave of tablets/slates aren't designed to sell DIGITAL CONTENT?

doh! doh!

Still waiting for the predicted comic market crash, Nostradamus... :taptaptap::insane:

And you don't think this new wave of tablets/slates aren't designed to sell DIGITAL CONTENT?

And do you actually believe anyone else is as well equipped to do this as Amazon?

The Kindle will be a niche market success, where Amazon sells a lot of digital books to its current customer base, but the rest will die off within a few years. The others, including Apple and Sony, need to keep prices high to make cash off the hardware, while Amazon can continue to fund the Kindle hardware through its somewhat-impressive software sales.

But this is still peanuts compared to mass market devices like the iPod, iPhone or even the Wii and XBOX 360 in terms of overall sales and penetration.

I'm intrigued by Sony's 3D Bravia TVs. The televisions will sell for about $5K, then all the extras for 3D format Blu-Rays, PS3 games, subscription 3D channels, and who knows what else.

But I guess this type of "toss the spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks" technology development is needed, as we wouldn't get the gems otherwise.

Actually, Sony is not the only company developing for 3D TV, and I already know people that own 3D ready televisions. I suspect it will soon become a standard. I don't see how this is tossing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks.

And do you actually believe anyone else is as well equipped to do this as Amazon?

The Kindle will be a niche market success, where Amazon sells a lot of digital books to its current customer base, but the rest will die off within a few years. The others, including Apple and Sony, need to keep prices high to make cash off the hardware, while Amazon can continue to fund the Kindle hardware through its somewhat-impressive software sales.

But this is still peanuts compared to mass market devices like the iPod, iPhone or even the Wii and XBOX 360 in terms of overall sales and penetration.

Of course. Apple's app store is the obvious example.

The Kindle is actually pretty primitive compared to what can be expected from these tablets.

I would expect the iSlate's functionality to leave the Kindle in the dust, and have access to the same apps as the iPod/iPhone.

In addition, because it's the selling of digital content that matters, it's very unlikely Amazon won't make digital content available for these devices.

At the moment, teh Kindle is the best-selling e-reader, and even its sales aren't even a boil on an ant's butt that's sitting on an iPod. And as for Apple, you obviously don't realize that their profits come from hardware sales, and barely any profit is realized through their iTunes/I-whatever online business.

It's funny, but this conversation got me looking up some past technological failures and two of the top ones are:

E-Readers

Tablet PCs

And 3D TVs going mainstream? lol, not even half of the homes in the US market even owns ONE HDTV. It'll be until 2011, likely, before those even hit mainstream levels and pass the 50% mark.

Actually, Sony is not the only company developing for 3D TV, and I already know people that own 3D ready televisions. I suspect it will soon become a standard. I don't see how this is tossing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Reading article about this a couple of days ago. It said within 10 years it will be very normal to have a 3D tv. Sky (TV satellite provider from the UK is already thinking about adding a 3D TV station to their programing.

At the moment, teh Kindle is the best-selling e-reader, and even its sales aren't even a boil on an ant's butt that's sitting on an iPod. And as for Apple, you obviously don't realize that their profits come from hardware sales and barely any profit is realized through their iTunes/I-whatever online business.

It's funny, but this conversation got me looking up some past technological failures and two of the top ones are:

E-Readers

Tablet PCs

And 3D TVs going mainstream? lol, not even half of the homes in the US market even owns ONE HDTV. It'll be until 2011, likely, before those even hit mainstream levels and pass the 50% mark.

I do, but it's an irrelevant point vis a vis the discussion of whether the iSlate will succeed. It's not the profit of the apps, it's the fact that they exist, and immediately make the iSlate far more functional and versatile than the one-trick Kindle.

Bottom line: if the Kindle can see increasing sales based only on being a digital reader, it bodes well for the success of the iSlate.

past failures - tablet PCs? Has anything changed in the interim? Better LCD screens? The presence of more digital content? More powerful, smaller processors? Is a foolish consistency the hobgoblin of small minds?

lol, I think that iSlate is a hilariously appropriate name for this technology.

jamestown+slate.jpg

And I'm about as far from a Luddite are you can possibly get, and due to this, I realize that about 1% of the stuff heralded as the "next big thing" at CES ever even approaches mainstream market levels, while the rest fails and is never heard from again.

And the only ones weeping their passing are the foolish early-adopters who paid thousands of dollars for their latest doorstop.

Not sure why they chose that name. That's the mental image that does come to mind.

I get three images when I hear iSlate - an old writing slate, cavemen drawings and Mr Slate, none of which are good for a high technology device in 2010.

mrslate.gif

Not sure why they chose that name. That's the mental image that does come to mind.

I get three images when I hear iSlate - an old writing slate, cavemen drawings and Mr Slate, none of which are good for a high technology device in 2010.

mrslate.gif

Apple has enough of a halo effect with their other products that they could probably name it whatever the h3ll they want.

I'd guess it'll have a camera, MP3 function, link to the app store, WiFi, and reader capability. Size will be interesting .... WiMax rollout and more powerful chip sets are moving us ever closer to having full time portable computers.

Reading article about this a couple of days ago. It said within 10 years it will be very normal to have a 3D tv. Sky (TV satellite provider from the UK is already thinking about adding a 3D TV station to their programing.

I suspect it'll be at least a decade before 3D TV has widespread market penetration.

mrslate.gif

There's also this one:

etchasketch.jpg

lol, nice image. We own iPOD Touches, iPOD Nano's, and my wife even has a MacBook Slim, but there is no way I'm walking around with something called an iSlate. Maybe if I drive an iDinosaur to work at the iRock Quarry and ate iBronto Burgers for dinner.

BTW, I was reading some CES reports on the 3D TVs, and I can't believe they're still hyping these old school 3D techs that require everyone to wear glasses. That's soooo lame. :roflmao:

The only reason to subject yourself to 3D glasses is to go see a wild action movie on bigass IMAX 3D, which compared to lame-o3D TV, is like going from your current 55" 1080P 240Hz HDTV to an old B&W 12" CRT. Not even in the same ballpark, and the only possible answer is 3D home projectors.

The upcoming high-end 3D home technologies, which will allow true 3D effects without any glasses or tricks, are still "in development", but until they go mainstream, this "home 3D TV" is just a fad waiting to crash.

lol, nice image. We own iPOD Touches, iPOD Nano's, and my wife even has a MacBook Slim, but there is no way I'm walking around with something called an iSlate. Maybe if I drive an iDinosaur to work at the iRock Quarry and ate iBronto Burgers for dinner.

BTW, I was reading some CES reports on the 3D TVs, and I can't believe they're still hyping these old school 3D techs that require everyone to wear glasses. That's soooo lame. :roflmao:

The only reason to subject yourself to 3D glasses is to go see a wild action movie on bigass IMAX 3D, which compared to lame-o3D TV, is like going from your current 55" 1080P 240Hz HDTV to an old B&W 12" CRT. Not even in the same ballpark, and the only possible answer is 3D home projectors.

The upcoming high-end 3D home technologies, which will allow true 3D effects without any glasses or tricks, are still "in development", but until they go mainstream, this "home 3D TV" is just a fad waiting to crash.

Agree on this one.... there will be resistance to the 3D glasses.