• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: CES 2010 and the emergence of the Tablet PC (for comics)

56 posts in this topic

Lot of stuff debuting at CES 2010 before Apple's big announcement later this month.

Here are some of the interesting ones:

CES: Prototype Motorola tablet runs Android (color)

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10430835-269.html

Skiff e-reader hands-on: watch out Amazon (black and white but looks cool)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/skiff-e-reader-hands-on-kindle-watch-out/

skiff-shot02_enlg-reader-230.jpg

Microsoft's entry with HP

http://technology.canoe.ca/2010/01/07/12374191-ap.html

ballmer_tablet.jpg

MSI Dual Screen Reader

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/msi-dualscreen-e-reader-hands-on/

th_msidualreader03-600head.jpg

That Motorola tablet is a cool gadget if I wanted a portable movie player. I wouldn't use it for comics because of the size and the backlit screen though. I bet it's expensive as hell too and my laptop can be a portable movie player so no need for me to buy a tablet PC at all. The Skiff looks like a much better reader than the Kindle, but I doubt it would get much comic book support because of the black & white display. Still no paper alternative for me. I am not against going digital when the right device and the right amount of support comes along though.

I'm hoping Apple knocks it out of the park too... but I'm thinking it might just be a giant iPhone/iPod.

(I added some more CES readers.)

Must be a dozen companies showing e-readers.

Also, I know that the big companies publish in color... but some of the independents don't right?

The Walking Dead is NOT in color except for the cover. There IS a limited market for the Independent comics publishers to get their comics on the Black and White platforms... a platform the major publishers won't want to touch.

The Apple iPhone 3G is now $99 bundled... so prices fall fairly rapidly.

With a service contract it is. NIB no contract it will set you back about $450. These readers will not have prices as low as a phone with a 2 year service contract. I expect that Motorola one to break $1K, if not all of them.

Okay... let's look at the iPod Touch then. WI-FI but no network/phone access... so no monthly charges.

Looks like it's under $200 new. All prices are falling especially with new models coming out and more competitors.

The 64 gb is $500. Something with a screen large enough to read comics on would surely be promoted as a video reader and need at least that much memory. I doubt we will see an 8gb tablet computer from apple.

Eventually the prices will go down, I remember when external hard drives used to cost about a dollar per GB storage capacity. When these things debut though they are going to cost some money.

Well yeah... I doubt any of us here are "First Adopters". I myself waited a long while before I even purchased an IPhone. (I waited until my then 2-year contract expired.) Then I cancelled my wife's phone and bought her a Pay as you go Phone since she averaged under 20 minutes a month on the phone. ($5 on the Go-Phone.) So our NEW combined phone bill was actually about the same for both phones. (She uses my iPhone when we're in the car together since I'm driving.)

I bought my wife's 32 gig iPod Touch with points I had from American Express. (shrug)

So it wasn't that expensive at all if you're creative.

I plan on getting an iPhone when my contract is up. I think I have 6 months left on it though :(

I wanted one back then but I was working in concrete and my Razr couldn't hold up to the abuse so I figured the iPhone would be a bad idea too.

$1000 to buy a PC to read comics you still have to buy?

These companies are maroons - they're trying to make the equivalent of a "digital wooden wheel", when most people have moved well past that.

The Apple tablet is rumored to have an internal 3g/4g wireless card, so you will most likely see some type of price break by purchasing through a wireless provider.

The $1K price point for the apple tablet/iSlate seems to be like it might be a reality. I won't buy one for that price and won't be a first adopter. I think we will see the exact same progression with the tablet as we saw with the iPhone. I don't know if you remember, but the iPhone's price dropped by $100 within the first six months of it being put on the market (which caused a huge outrage). I'm thinking by the time the second generation Apple tablet hits the market the price point will have dropped significantly and of course all of the first gen bugs will have been identified and addressed.

All of that said, I can't wait for it to hit the market, and I hope that Longbox is a roaring success as well. My biggest fear is that Marvel wont get past the $1.99 price point they are currently trying to get on their digital down-loadable books. They need to be .99. My 2c

$1000 to buy a PC to read comics you still have to buy?

These companies are maroons - they're trying to make the equivalent of a "digital wooden wheel", when most people have moved well past that.

Yes. So far the e-readers have been so unsuccessful that dozens of companies have now created one. CES was awash with e-readers. Same with 3D TVs.

Personally, I'm mainly excited about the Boxee Box.

The Apple tablet is rumored to have an internal 3g/4g wireless card, so you will most likely see some type of price break by purchasing through a wireless provider.

The $1K price point for the apple tablet/iSlate seems to be like it might be a reality. I won't buy one for that price and won't be a first adopter. I think we will see the exact same progression with the tablet as we saw with the iPhone. I don't know if you remember, but the iPhone's price dropped by $100 within the first six months of it being put on the market (which caused a huge outrage). I'm thinking by the time the second generation Apple tablet hits the market the price point will have dropped significantly and of course all of the first gen bugs will have been identified and addressed.

All of that said, I can't wait for it to hit the market, and I hope that Longbox is a roaring success as well. My biggest fear is that Marvel wont get past the $1.99 price point they are currently trying to get on their digital down-loadable books. They need to be .99. My 2c

Agreed. Digital downloads should be 99 cents. I see hardly anybody is selling them at that price point though.

Yep... Downloads should be .99 and they should be sold like Albums as well. (As TPB Arcs.. maybe 6 issues together for $4.99.) (thumbs u

Yes. So far the e-readers have been so unsuccessful that dozens of companies have now created one. CES was awash with e-readers.

I see you have not been following CES that long, as history is awash with failed "hot technologies" that companies forget to ask consumers if they actually want to pay for.

I can remember seeing wall-to-wall "virtual reality" helmets and eye-gear at one CES.. where is that now again? Or how about SFF computer systems, or mind-powered game controllers, or how about the PDA market, or 3Do, or Microsoft .NET applications, or WebTV, or... Plus, tons of e-readers have already come and gone, yet companies continue to try and recycle this flop into a success - my opinion is that digital e-readers, whose only function is to duplicate traditional paper media, are "digital wooden wheels" and doomed to failure.

The hot item for 2010 is the continued evolution of HD media players like the WDTV Live, O!Play Air, and your afore-mentioned Boxee Box. These e-readers are a blip compared to the digital HD movement.