• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Comic Artist Has The Most Classic Covers?

47 posts in this topic

In my mind there is no better cover run by a single artist than Frazetta's stint on Famous Funnies.

No argument there...if anyone doubts that Frazetta isn't the best, show them those eight covers.

I would have to agree, and ironicly I just picked up this portfolio

FrazettaC.jpg

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg

F5.jpg

F6.jpg

F7.jpg

F8.jpg

Nice score on the portfolio....they're very hard to find. I snagged one on the boards a few years ago and it's one of my prized possesions. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

In my mind there is no better cover run by a single artist than Frazetta's stint on Famous Funnies. Also, don't forget his volumes of painted covers for Warren as well.

COMPLETELY agree!

In my mind there is no better cover run by a single artist than Frazetta's stint on Famous Funnies.

No argument there...if anyone doubts that Frazetta isn't the best, show them those eight covers.

RR omitted one of the best covers from the Famous Funnies run:

FamousFunnies216.jpg

Nice score on the portfolio....they're very hard to find. I snagged one on the boards a few years ago and it's one of my prized possesions. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

They are great. I bought the black and white ones from Russ and think they're beautiful.

FamousFunnies216.jpg

That's a beauty Tim (thumbs u

That's a beauty Tim (thumbs u

Sure is.

I would think that every cover Frazetta did is a classic but his output just wasn't great enough to get my nomination. I would go with Schomburg or Kirby.

As a kid I was in love with Frazetta's covers for Edgar Rice Burroughs novels. Does the original art for those ever come up for sale?

Depends. Era is one thing. Consistency/ output/ proportion is another.

I'd put Frazetta, Alex Ross or Brian Bolland over Schomburg or even Adams on the proportion scale. Each of the former has produced far fewer covers than the latter, but _many_ those covers are classic/iconic.

And, as pointed out above, Overstreets is another 20 years or so from noting Ross or Bolland covers as "classic" due purely to an age bias.

I can't think of a single Ross or Bolland cover that stands out to me as classic ( I can think of several Frazetta's )...not that they're not well drawn or anything, just nothing jumps off the top of my head as "classic".

As a kid I was in love with Frazetta's covers for Edgar Rice Burroughs novels. Does the original art for those ever come up for sale?

Here's a prelim...

tarzan.jpg

I can't think of a single...Bolland cover that stands out to me as classic ( I can think of several Frazetta's )...not that they're not well drawn or anything, just nothing jumps off the top of my head as "classic".

batman-killing-joke-poster.jpg

And while not a cover, I`d say this is a pretty iconic image:

KillingJoke.jpg

Matt Baker had a few. In fact, I'd put him in the same category as Frazetta in the sense that I personally consider most, if not all of his covers "classic."