• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my first crack/press/resub ever - she is fixed

23 posts in this topic

Here is my first slab that I ever bought back in 2003. It has great sentimental value to me because it was the most expensive book I owned at the time and something I wanted since I started collecting the X-men in 1981. Over the years, I took it out and showed it and looked at it numerous times but I never saw the slight bend in the urc. It wasn't there when I bought it but I can't say for sure. Only did I joined this board that I noticed it and wonder if it was damaged in the well over the years.

Anyhow, that lead to reading and debating for months on pressing so I finally decided to send it to Matt Nelson to see if the slight bend can be fix.

I got it back yesterday and he was right in predicting it will be a 9.6 but the white page bump is a surprise to me. I didn't ask him about PQ bump. This was a bitter sweet result since another book submitted at the same time came back with a purple label so whatever gain I got, I assured you it didn't make up for the short fall on the purple slab. It does help reduce the sting from my last Ebay's mistake.

I wish I had better scan of the original but here is

xgs1.jpg

and here is the new book

gs1new.jpg

i told a few people on the board about this book and promise them that I will post the result. I hope this thread won't turn into a debate on the pressing issue.

i told a few people on the board about this book and promise them that I will post the result. I hope this thread won't turn into a debate on the pressing issue.

No debate at all . . . that IS the pressing issue. :grin:

Congrats on the grade and PQ bump. The book looks really nice.

Regarding the purple label book, was that book also previously slabbed? If so, was that previously a universal grade?

nope, the book was raw, bought from Ebay and sent to Matt along with a bunch of books for pro-screen. That book and this GS were the only 2 that were forwarded to CGC, the rest were just old SA books that I wanted Matt to check for restorations.

I wouldn't be surprise if that one was slabbed before. You know how those wonderful Ebay sellers are...it was bought before I learned from this board. I should have returned it like i did the books I got from Robojo33. Lesson learned, can't trust any of them with weird angle photos.

I got it back yesterday and he was right in predicting it will be a 9.6 but the white page bump is a surprise to me. I didn't ask him about PQ bump.

From off white to white, eh? So much for the idea that pressing adversely affects page quality. Congratulations on the book.

I got it back yesterday and he was right in predicting it will be a 9.6 but the white page bump is a surprise to me. I didn't ask him about PQ bump.

From off white to white, eh? So much for the idea that pressing adversely affects page quality. Congratulations on the book.

And the books that go from OW to White on straight resub with no pressing? So much for the idea that time adversely affects page quality.

:insane:

thanks (thumbs u beginner's luck. Even if I want to, I have nothing more in my slab collection that will benefit from crack/press/resub since they likely have been thru this already.

by the way, my son love to play with the Wolverine ornament so a big thank you. I am surprised he has been gentle enough with it to not break it.

Bummer about the missed AM CT. Glad you are seeing big picture about all this and not freaking out. Still though, it's never fun to go through proper channels and still get back a PLOD.

On the upside, really nice Giant Size.

Here is my first slab that I ever bought back in 2003. It has great sentimental value to me because it was the most expensive book I owned at the time and something I wanted since I started collecting the X-men in 1981. Over the years, I took it out and showed it and looked at it numerous times but I never saw the slight bend in the urc. It wasn't there when I bought it but I can't say for sure. Only did I joined this board that I noticed it and wonder if it was damaged in the well over the years.

Anyhow, that lead to reading and debating for months on pressing so I finally decided to send it to Matt Nelson to see if the slight bend can be fix.

I got it back yesterday and he was right in predicting it will be a 9.6 but the white page bump is a surprise to me. I didn't ask him about PQ bump. This was a bitter sweet result since another book submitted at the same time came back with a purple label so whatever gain I got, I assured you it didn't make up for the short fall on the purple slab. It does help reduce the sting from my last Ebay's mistake.

I wish I had better scan of the original but here is

xgs1.jpg

and here is the new book

gs1new.jpg

Wow, that really is great...and a nice story...

I think I need to get a press and start having fun and making cash on the side too! (don't mean to imply that you or anyone here does that)

What do these dry mount presses go for?

Ebay tells me around 100$, just wondering which kind is good for comics...

And the books that go from OW to White on straight resub with no pressing? So much for the idea that time adversely affects page quality.

:insane:

:insane: Me thinks the first grader looked like this: :insane:

I think it's cool that you had that nice of a bump. I don't understand how the PQ jump could've happened either. I don't know how CGC does their grading..am I wrong in assuming they use the OWL guide for PQ?