• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 168: Why So Scarce?

67 posts in this topic

I know, I know, it's not really SA, but this atom age book has always fascinated me.

I can understand its scarcity in high-grade because of the black cover, and I can understand its desirability because it's the 1st Joker origin, but why is the thing so dang impossible to find? GPA suggests that it just never comes up for sale, and the census suggests that there just aren't any out there.

So, my learned collector friends...what gives? Why is this Atom ager just nearly impossible to find?

I hadn't responded earlier because this thread makes me want to pound my head against a wall. In 1989 I passed on a beautiful copy in Fine for I think 50 bucks.

Come to think of it, that's the last time I've had one in my hands.

Over the years I've owned two, and seen a few more, maybe just chance, or maybe better distribution on that issue in Michigan.

Here's another poser for you, over the years I've owned four copies of Sugar and Spike 4, and never another single digit issue. Weird....

This one was on Comic Link for a matter of hours and it sold. While not high grade, it does have great eye appeal.

Originally it was listed for 1700, but then sold for a little more than half....Wish I knew the seller would go so low ! :frustrated:

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DDetective%2B168%26ItemType%3DCB&id=830687

This one was on Comic Link for a matter of hours and it sold. While not high grade, it does have great eye appeal.

Originally it was listed for 1700, but then sold for a little more than half....Wish I knew the seller would go so low ! :frustrated:

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DDetective%2B168%26ItemType%3DCB&id=830687

doh!

doh!

To paraphrase Jim Mora at his now infamous press conference in which he bellowed to the rapt scribes: "Scarce, Scarce"? There are 35 Dectecitive 168s in the census. Now take a Detective 190, which contains Batman's Origin Retold" in a now classic tale. There are only 4 in the entire census with the highest being a 7.0. Now that's scarce. I have been collecting for over 30 years and I've seen a number of 168s, but I've seen only three 190s.Suffice it to say that almost all Detectives from 1950-1957 are very scarce for a myriad of reasons, especially in grades of fine or better. Just my observation.

SLR

What are those "myriad reasons"? Low print run because heroes were on the way out with sci-fi and westerns the way to go? Or is there something more specific to the Tecs, which seem disproportionately scarce in the Atom age?

:popcorn:

not really that scarce...I have owned like 8 in the past few years and know where at least 7 are for sale now...

in high grade, sure scarce (but aren't most 1950's books)...

So then in your opinion / experience:

(1) Of the Atom age 'tecs which is the toughest to find? Is it 190 as hypothesized by SLR?

(2) Am I correct in saying that Detective Comics from the 1950's are disproportionately harder to find than other DC's?

I put the run of tecs together from 27-225 (end of the GA)...

I found 168 "easy" to obtain... most issues from 180-220 are generally scarce, but then again, they have low demand and low value, so that might be a reason they don't change hands too often...

all 1950's DC's are generally "harder" to find than their 1940's counterparts (Thumbs u

As somebody that has collected late 1940s and 1950s DCs for years I can attest to the fact that most DCs from 1948 until 1955 are tough to find.

I still have my copy of 168 which I bought back in the early 80s from a LCS (thanks Bob) and have had one other copy over the years which I sold.

I'd always heard that a 187 in fine was almost impossible. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

there is a boardie that owns like 8 copies of 187...I have 3.... but yes, most all are in g/vg (as are most all 1950's dc's).... again, virtually any 1950's in fine or better is "almost impossible"... because of the 2 face on clock cover, 187 is in more demand, but just as hard as any surrounding issue to find (thumbs u

there is a boardie that owns like 8 copies of 187...I have 3.... but yes, most all are in g/vg (as are most all 1950's dc's).... again, virtually any 1950's in fine or better is "almost impossible"... because of the 2 face on clock cover, 187 is in more demand, but just as hard as any surrounding issue to find (thumbs u

Want to sell me one :baiting:

Still need that one

Want to sell me one :baiting:

Still need that one

maybe at heroes...I will bring 1 or 2 to sell there (but have a few that requested ages ago, I have to check with) (Thumbs u