• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shops in Manhattan

16 posts in this topic

All,

I will be spending a few days in NY over this and next week and other than Metro and Midtown comics was wondering if there are any other comic stores worth visiting?

They don't have to be in my collecting niche as I enjoy looking around and sampling the atmosphere.

Recommendations appreciated.

George

Google is your friend... :whistle:

Action Comics

337 E 81st St., New York, NY 10028 (212) 639-1976

Located in a moldy basement, they have a fairly small collection of comics. The one person behind the counter was not amicable.

Alex's MVP Cards

256 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128 (212) 831-2273

A small place with a modest collection of comics and cards.

Chameleon Comics

3 Maiden Lane FL 1, New York, NY 10038 (212) 587-3411

Small, new stuff mostly. Virtually no back issues, some trades. They do have a helpful staff.

Collector's Kingdom

170 Rivington Street, New York, NY 10002 (212) 677-6431

A very small collection. Located right around the block from the Williamsburg bridge.

Collector's Universe

124 East 40th Street, New York, NY 10016 (212) 922-1110

A very small selection of comics.

Cosmic Comics

36 East 23rd Street FL 2, New York, NY 10010 (212) 460-5322

A pretty good store, with lots of manga titles and lots of "mature" stuff. A decent collection all around, but the place was disorganized and the manager not welcoming.

Forbidden Planet

840 Broadway, New York, NY 10003 (212) 473-1576

They have all the new stuff, a decent amount of trade paperbacks, but absolutely no back issues. They also have some cool figurines and other collectibles. However, there is no reason to go here (unless you want one of those finely detailed figures) when you could go to St. Mark's just a few blocks away.

Four Color Comics

115 West 27th Street FL 8, New York, NY 10001 (212) 675-6990

They sell only Silver and Golden age comics but do not have a walk-in store. By appointment only.

Funny Business Comics

660 Amsterdam Avenue # B, New York, NY 10025 (212) 799-9477

A tiny place, quite disarrayed. They buy and sell used comics but mostly sell opera-related products. Yes, I said opera.

Gotham City Comics Inc

800 Lexington Avenue FL 2, New York, NY 10021 (212) 980-0009

Kind of a small place, but they have a decent collection of comics.

Its Another Hit

131 West 33rd Street, New York, NY 10001 (212) 564-4111

A lot of baseball cards and collectibles, the comic selection is okay.

Jim Hanley's Universe

4 West 33rd Street, New York, NY 10001 (212) 268-7088

They have an excellent collection of new titles and trade paperbacks. All affectionados in the city should check it out.

Manhattan Comic's & Cards

228 West 23rd Street, New York, NY 10011 (212) 243-9349

They have a decent collection, some back issues, some old periodicals. They also have some statuettes and other collectibles.

Metropolis Comics-Collectibles

873 Broadway # 201, New York, NY 10003 (212) 260-4147

Mail-order Only.

Midtown Comics

200 West 40th Street, New York, NY 10018 (212) 302-8192

Spacious and new-looking, it occupies the second and third floors of the building. They have a super collection of current titles and easy-to-access, well-organized back issues. The selection of back issues and trade paperbacks is decent but not spectacular. Also there is a nice gathering of collectibles, t-shirts, and cassettes containing old genre favorites. Some of these TV shows may be hard to obtain elsewhere. The top floor is devoted entirely to toys, collectibles, and magazines, but the best thing about Midtown is that you can easily become a member (your birthday is your membership number) and for every one hundred dollars you spend, you get your next twenty dollars worth of comics free. Perfect for the fanboy who spends a ton on comics.

New City Comics

836 West 181st Street, New York, NY 10033 (212) 928-3186

They have few comics, but a lot of baseball cards.

Roger's Time Machine

207 West 14th Street FL 2, New York, NY 10011 (212) 691-0380

A lot of obscure back issues, but not strong on much else. The place is also a little messy. On the upside they have plenty of old sci-fi periodicals. They also have old adult magazines.

Sleep of Reason Comics

47 West 8th Street FL 2, New York, NY 10011 (212) 982-7901

A good all around store, they have new titles, back issues, action figures and some cool trade paperbacks. Considering the small size of the place, they are fairly well-stocked. They also have some old sci-fi periodicals. The staff was friendly.

St Marks Comics

11 Saint Marks Place, New York, NY 10003 (212) 598-9439

They have an excellent selection of both back issues and trade paperbacks, but their back issues are difficult to access due to cramped space. They also possess the whole spectrum of current titles and the staff is very helpful. It is not a particularly large or new-looking store, though this should not deter you from considering the first-rate selection. They also have lots of cool collectibles. There is a smaller, less impressive location at 150 Chambers St.

Village Comics

214 Sullivan Street 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10012 (212) 473-3010

A great deal of cool statuettes, models, and other collectibles. But the comic selection is not very impressive and the back issues are a mess. Also, they have a pretty sizable "adults only" section and some cool old horror books.

Roger's Time Machine

207 West 14th Street FL 2, New York, NY 10011 (212) 691-0380

AWESOME shop...I think this place should be THE place to stop, especially if you like GA and SA stuff. He's got all kinds of great stuff, with very fair pricing as well.

Roger is super cool as well. The place can be considered messy if you're an OCD antiseptic kinda person. Otherwise, it's fine. I look forward to going back again.

I usually went to Roger's TM during my lunch break when I was in the city. They usually stock just the bare minimum in new books but I always checked the wall for a key gem or two (picked up 2 nice DD 168 this way). If you are looking for silver or gold, ask and they usually have something tucked away hidden behind the counter.

I've gone to Midtown as well. They will have basically any current issue you could want even for a few month back (including most independents). They have some decent back issues on the wall but their prices are waay higher than guide.

Both these place don't seem to have anything graded (at least when I have been their last)

Nick, I hate to say it but this is a VERY old list. Most of these places are long gone. :(

Jim Hanley's is great for browsing newer issues/graphic novels/etc, and centrally located.

Roger's Time Machine is fun to browse, but the back issues definitely tend towards low grade.

Other than Metro, can't think of any back issue place I'd make a special trip for.

You would think there would be more in NYC

I think the economic reality is that rents are simply too high (at least in Manhattan) to support many shops devoted solely to comics. Most of the shops that are left get by by selling toys, cards, etc, and comics are just part of their business.

If you are interested in anything pricey at Roger's time machine give him a call a day or two in advance and let him know what you're looking for and when you plan to visit.

I don't believe he keeps everything in the store. ;)

You would think there would be more in NYC

I think the economic reality is that rents are simply too high (at least in Manhattan) to support many shops devoted solely to comics. Most of the shops that are left get by by selling toys, cards, etc, and comics are just part of their business.

True that.

Nick, I hate to say it but this is a VERY old list. Most of these places are long gone. :(

Jim Hanley's is great for browsing newer issues/graphic novels/etc, and centrally located.

Roger's Time Machine is fun to browse, but the back issues definitely tend towards low grade.

Other than Metro, can't think of any back issue place I'd make a special trip for.

Yep - those are pretty much the only places worth visiting. Midtown is , St Marks is , and Jim Hanley's would be if it wasn't for their absolutely insane collection of newer indies & small press stuff.

Will look at Gold and Silver collection wise but pretty much anything for browsing.

I moved away from New York City about three years ago. I do remember that the only good source of Silver and Golden age stuff are at Roger's Time Machine and Metropolis. Roger will definitely give you fair pricing and even good deals if you buy a bunch. I can't say the same for Metropolis.

Roger's TM on 14th street is down the street from me. Definitely an "experience", like stepping into a time machine that takes you to the old time used book stores that used to sell comics. Fun, and a friendly place to hang for a while. It's nice to see how many others also enjoyed the place.

It's a little funky, but in a nice way.

Action Comics

337 E 81st St., New York, NY 10028 (212) 639-1976

Located in a moldy basement, they have a fairly small collection of comics. The one person behind the counter was not amicable.

Alex's MVP Cards

256 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128 (212) 831-2273

A small place with a modest collection of comics and cards.

Actually during my search to complete Harley Quinn series, I called these two shops. Action comics only does by appointment now and is in a smaller location. I never did get Alex MVP Cards on the phone by I believe they are by appointment as well.