• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

Thank you Kenny, it never was a question about pressing the books it was about a conflict of interest.

Jim

I say this a little tongue in cheek, so I hope Kenny takes it this way. But, we really shouldn't listen to anything Kenny says on the subject either since Brent is now a direct competitor of Matt, Kenny's employer.

No worries, I can see your point. And even though my comments were my own I will just bow out of this one and take my kids out for ice cream. :cloud9:

Ellen had 4 intensive days of High Ability testing this week and she scored 98% :o

Really Kenny?

Isn't that a little like saying you shouldn't restore books because someone might sell the book with undisclosed resto?

I don't see why his position within NOD has anything to with it.

They are not against pressing they are pro disclosure.

I see your line of reasoning, it's just a very slippery slope in and of itself.

Not really like it at all Roy.

While we may restore books that people later sell as unrestored. We are not the Chairman of an anti resto group.(not that NOD is all about anti pressing,but it is a huge part of it. )

See the difference?

I just thought it was a little more then odd that it is ok for him to press books that people will later sell undisclosed. When the core of their entire foundation is about Full Disclosure.

At least it is odd to me.

I have to qualify that I am not a member of NOD nor plan to be. I have just as many friends within NOD as I do without so I don't have an axe to grind...but...

If I am correct in understanding NOD, they are pro disclosure.

They are proactive in disclosing work done to a comic and history of a comic to the best of their knowledge.

If Brent starting restoring books would that be unethical or a conflict of interest?

I can confidently say that the answer is no. How can I say that? Because nobody has questioned Sue's position in NOD even though she restores books.

You can unequivocally substitute resto for pressing. It's the same argument.

As long as Brent discloses there is no conflict of interest regardless of what people do afterwards.

To insinuate anything else simply reeks of an anti pressing partisanship that tries to make pressing unethical, which it isn't.

It makes even the good people, who disclose and press books *properly* get painted with the same "bad" brush.

Thank you Kenny, it never was a question about pressing the books it was about a conflict of interest.

Jim

I say this a little tongue in cheek, so I hope Kenny takes it this way. But, we really shouldn't listen to anything Kenny says on the subject either since Brent is now a direct competitor of Matt, Kenny's employer.

No worries, I can see your point. And even though my comments were my own I will just bow out of this one and take my kids out for ice cream. :cloud9:

Ellen had 4 intensive days of High Ability testing this week and she scored 98% :o

Dang, how did gene that pass you by?

lol

YAY ELLEN!!!

We are not the Chairman of an anti resto group.(not that NOD is all about anti pressing,but it is a huge part of it. )

That is just simply flat out wrong Kenny. The NOD has NEVER been anti-restoration (or anti-pressing) in the slightest. It is improper and unfair to say otherwise. In fact, many of us, including me, have gone out of our way to publicly encourage the destigmatization of restoration.

Do members of the group believe pressing is restoration? Some do. Do members of the group dislike pressing? Some do. Maybe even some dislike restoration (which certainly isn't something new to this hobby), just as some people dislike slabbed books.

But to say the NOD is an "anti resto group" isn't even close to the truth.

Jim

Kenny is also terrific at holding his liquor and pounding pavement.

(thumbs u

I'm not sure about his taste in sour cream though.

:sick:

We are not the Chairman of an anti resto group.(not that NOD is all about anti pressing,but it is a huge part of it. )

That is just simply flat out wrong Kenny. The NOD has NEVER been anti-restoration (or anti-pressing) in the slightest. It is improper and unfair to say otherwise. In fact, many of us, including me, have gone out of our way to publicly encourage the destigmatization of restoration.

Do members of the group believe pressing is restoration? Some do. Do members of the group dislike pressing? Some do. Maybe even some dislike restoration (which certainly isn't something new to this hobby), just as some people dislike slabbed books.

Mark, you mis read my comments, I think.

I was implying that if Matt and I formed a "resto disclosure" group. Yet worked on, and restored books to people who we know would later sold them as unrestored it would be similar to Brent pressing books, and being chariman for the NOD which preaches full disclosure. ( I know ..confusing.. I blame Roy)

I didn't mean in any way shape or form that NOD was ANTI resto...or pressing for that matter. My comments were in response to Roy.

Hope you can see that after a re read,..or when I get back I will re write it. I didn't mean for it to imply that NOD was anti resto.

As long as Brent discloses there is no conflict of interest regardless of what people do afterwards.

I can confidently say that the answer is no. How can I say that? Because nobody has questioned Sue's position in NOD even though she restores books.

To insinuate anything else simply reeks of an anti pressing partisanship that tries to make pressing unethical, which it isn't.

It makes even the good people, who disclose and press books *properly* get painted with the same "bad" brush.

The whole thing comes down to this Roy, if Matt and I restore a book(or Susan for that matter) if we restore a book for someone and if we find out later they tred to sell it as "unrestored" they would be blackballed from our service and we would try and get the book back..etc.

Brents situation is completely different..he is pressing books for people who he knows will sell them undisclosed( possibly anyways) Yet he is the Chariman for NOD which preaches full disclosure.

To me this is a conflict of interest, or at the least undermines NOD's bottom line greatly.

I gotta run now..kids at my feet!

makeitstop.jpg

Oh, no, this is awesome.

A circlejerk if there ever was one. The head of NOD, an organization that has spent the last three years lighting people on fire for pressing is now pressing? Too rich. lol

Really Kenny?

Isn't that a little like saying you shouldn't restore books because someone might sell the book with undisclosed resto?

I don't see why his position within NOD has anything to with it.

They are not against pressing they are pro disclosure.

I see your line of reasoning, it's just a very slippery slope in and of itself.

Not really like it at all Roy.

While we may restore books that people later sell as unrestored. We are not the Chairman of an anti resto group.(not that NOD is all about anti pressing,but it is a huge part of it. )

See the difference?

I just thought it was a little more then odd that it is ok for him to press books that people will later sell undisclosed. When the core of their entire foundation is about Full Disclosure.

At least it is odd to me.

I have to qualify that I am not a member of NOD nor plan to be. I have just as many friends within NOD as I do without so I don't have an axe to grind...but...

If I am correct in understanding NOD, they are pro disclosure.

They are proactive in disclosing work done to a comic and history of a comic to the best of their knowledge.

If Brent starting restoring books would that be unethical or a conflict of interest?

lol

You're right, of course, but for the entire existence of NOD, they've been screaming about how pressing destroys a book. The irony is just rich.

And to everyone who has PM'ed me saying it was not cool of me to undermine Brents new service because of my relationship with Matt. Well all my comments were how they related to Brent and NOD..nothing more, I can't control how many people press books. Who sets up shop etc.. I could honestly care less and I mean that. I would not have said word one if not for Brents position in NOD.

Everything I said was in response to Jims initial post. Because like him I just felt it odd.

I wish Brent nothing but luck with his service, he won't be the last I am sure. But because of my position with Matt I can see how people might read more into my comments then I intended.

So (this time for real) I will just leave it be.

Mark, I love you like a brother from another mother, but I'm calling wildly_fanciful_statement on this one. Members of NOD have been extremely vocal anti-pressers for the entire organization's existence.

lol

You're right, of course, but for the entire existence of NOD, they've been screaming about how pressing destroys a book. The irony is just rich.

To be fair, Brent has been disclosing pressing from the get go.

lol

Brent has, but the membership of NOD is made of of people who at the mere thought of pressing a book get out the torches and the pitchforks. I'm sorry, its just rich.

lol

Brent has, but the membership of NOD is made of of people who at the mere thought of pressing a book get out the torches and the pitchforks. I'm sorry, its just rich.

It's funny, and I'm sure it infuriates some members, but I don't think anti pressing was really ever the agenda for the organization as a whole. I think it was just a strong view point for a few (whatever percentage that is) members.

I do see the humor in it, but only because I understand what has been going on through the organization since it's inception.

People on the outside may not see it because the whole focal point of the operation was pro disclosure. It just seems to be that many people who don't like the organization (or some of the people within it) have tried to color them as anti pressing.

makeitstop.jpg

Oh, no, this is awesome.

A circlejerk if there ever was one. The head of NOD, an organization that has spent the last three years lighting people on fire for pressing is now pressing? Too rich. lol

Thank you Dan, I'm glad you get is as well :foryou:

Jim