• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

Here we go...

I got called a "booger-flicker" by someone when I brought that up in my 1st pressing thread . . .

It's better than eating them.

Arent all old collection pressed to some degree. Being stacked in boxes and bags for 50 years and then being discovered? Isnt that amatuer pressing? Now what about bagging and boarding and stuff arent you artificially preseving and improving the books? So arent we restoing everything in a sense. Its time to collect stamps !!
Please. Just don't. Not here. Not now. Search is your friend.

At least he didn't mention the Church books...oops

:makepoint:

Sincerely, no offense to those members that are not anti-pressing and think with a level head, but the orginization painted that picture of itself early on, and many of the members have continued to do so to this day. I'll bet their is already a storm bruing over on the NOD message boards as we speak.

Mike, do you think that because undisclosed pressing was the primary (but not only) catalyst that those who did not want a NOD organization put the focus on NOD's stance on pressing?

I think it's possible that people within NOD don't like pressing because it's not detectable, not because people press books. If it were as easy to tell pressing as it is to detect resto they probably wouldn't care because they could pick and choose between the two.

I have no doubt that some people might be "fanatically" against pressing, even though it's being proactively disclosed.

Unfortunately, it seems that the dislike for pressing by some members seems to eclipse all other reasons for NOD's existence making them look like it's all they care about.

I disclosed every book i personally have ever sold and pressed. I am not the mouth piece of others but as far as I am concerned I have always disclosed. Even with al of thay behind me NOD still did there best to boot me out because I was now pressing books to make money. They even came up with a new rule, and from the information that has filtered back to me Brent was one of the most vocal about it. Ironic, eh?

My earlier question has still gone unanswered.

Sincerely, no offense to those members that are not anti-pressing and think with a level head, but the orginization painted that picture of itself early on, and many of the members have continued to do so to this day. I'll bet their is already a storm bruing over on the NOD message boards as we speak.

Mike, do you think that because undisclosed pressing was the primary (but not only) catalyst that those who did not want a NOD organization put the focus on NOD's stance on pressing?

I think it's possible that people within NOD don't like pressing because it's not detectable, not because people press books. If it were as easy to tell pressing as it is to detect resto they probably wouldn't care because they could pick and choose between the two.

I have no doubt that some people might be "fanatically" against pressing, even though it's being proactively disclosed.

Unfortunately, it seems that the dislike for pressing by some members seems to eclipse all other reasons for NOD's existence making them look like it's all they care about.

I disclosed every book i personally have ever sold and pressed. I am not the mouth piece of others but as far as I am concerned I have always disclosed. Even with al of thay behind me NOD still did there best to boot me out because I was now pressing books to make money. They even came up with a new rule, and from the information that has filtered back to me Brent was one of the most vocal about it. Ironic, eh?

You got booted out of NOD? hm (thumbs u

:gossip: I've benn kicked out of better clubs . . . lol

Does anyone know when pressing started?

1963 or so.

Wouldn't doubt it. But I think most would agree the practice became widespread with the advent of CGC grading. Suddenly the removal of non-color breaking creases could magically increase the value of a re-slabbed book by 2X or more.

For the benefit of etanick, here's an early 2003 thread that starts to let the cat out of the bag regarding a big-name dealer's "prep" services prior to submission to CGC:

What do you get for your $39.95?

Here we go...

I got called a "booger-flicker" by someone when I brought that up in my 1st pressing thread . . .

:roflmao:

Did you disclose the flicker?

:roflmao:

This is exactly the thread I've been looking for all day.

:popcorn:

Your welcome. lol:whee:

(btw, would love to see your Canadian variant list to start to match up with mine, especially at the back end.)

You're welcome.

I did it on purpose. doh! Search for "Your Welcome".

No...no, please don't...nooooo!!

( lol )

(that's ok, *I* knew what you meant, and that's all that matters. :cloud9: )

This is exactly the thread I've been looking for all day.

:popcorn:

Your welcome. lol:whee:

(btw, would love to see your Canadian variant list to start to match up with mine, especially at the back end.)

You're welcome.

I did it on purpose. doh! Search for "Your Welcome".

No...no, please don't...nooooo!!

( lol )

(that's ok, *I* knew what you meant, and that's all that matters. :cloud9: )

:foryou:

Looks like it's not unnoticed anymore!

Anybody think this thread will break 1500 posts by Monday?

:preach:

You got booted out of NOD? hm (thumbs u

:gossip: I've benn kicked out of better clubs . . . lol

I removed myself before they could. They insisted that I set up a company (corp, LLC, etc) and make myself legit. Which I had planned on doing for tax reasons anyway. It's an organization of too many Chiefs and no Indians.

Pressing Service

Quality Comix is proud to announce it's new professional pressing service. Two tiers will be offered - Regular tier turnaround time is 2 weeks and Express tier turnaround time is only 3 business days! Along with having superior service and turnaround times, Quality Comix also offers the best pressing rates in the industry. Customers that wish to have their books pressed can log into their accounts to create a pressing invoice to be mailed with the comics that need a press. Our current pressing rates can be viewed by clicking here. Rates start at a LOW $10 for books printed after 1970. Books printed before 1970 start at only $20. Rates go up depending on service selected and value of book being submitted.

Two things I can't understand or fathom from this press release.

A:) The best rates in the business are also given by the same person that is the best presser in the business, they are $10.00 (and less) a book regardless of the era

and MORE IMPORTANTLY

Why the hell would the head of the NOD offer a pressing service? Is this not like the antigun lobby, handing over loaded weapons to people and not understanding when they fire them. Why would you offer the means so that people could sell the books undisclosed. Is it now acceptable because you got paid first???

I had nothing but respect for the NOD and their mission, but now I have lost total respect for the orginazation as a whole. Starting a company that presses books, and then heading an organization that is trying to stop pressed books from being sold undisclosed is a blatant conflict of interest.

What's next? Give heroin addicts needles to see if they'll start using again???

Jim

Oh, for Chrissakes!!

Its NoD..Network of Disclosure not the Network of Anti Pressing.

They will happily press and disclose as much. You misunderstand their mission statement apparently.

Does that make sense? Does it null your entire post?

Then ask Brent and Marnin why I was booted for basically doing the same thing.

Joey,

Could you expand on this?Im actually really interested.

Dennis

Traffic jam when you're already late

A No Smoking sign on your cigarette break

It's like the Chairman of Nod, just pressin' them books

Or a Houston-based retailer with stunning good looks

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

I'm sending you to songwriting school...that's TWICE today (at least) you've made me groan out loud...

I said groan, not moan.

Does anyone know when pressing started?

1963 or so.

Wouldn't doubt it. But I think most would agree the practice became widespread with the advent of CGC grading. Suddenly the removal of non-color breaking creases could magically increase the value of a re-slabbed book by 2X or more.

For the benefit of etanick, here's an early 2003 thread that starts to let the cat out of the bag regarding a big-name dealer's "prep" services prior to submission to CGC:

What do you get for your $39.95?

Actually, every book has been pressed....how do you think they end up laying flat after someone puts a staple or two in the middle of the paper and folds the whole thing in half!?!? lol

Waddup James? :hi:

I'm sending you to songwriting school...that's TWICE today (a least) you've made me groan out loud...

I said groan, not moan.

I love Alanis. And her hair. She's unimpeachable to me.

Looks like it's not unnoticed anymore!

Anybody think this thread will break 1500 posts by Monday?

:preach:

I ing hope so, I need something good to read while I am recovering from my wisdom teeth being pulled (part 2) and on pain killers. :cry:

Besides the boards has been filled with utter garbage lately. At least this thread will have some back bone to it. :whee:

I'm sending you to songwriting school...that's TWICE today (at least) you've made me groan out loud...

I said groan, not moan.

Cadence may be off, but I'm all about the message . . .