• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

I thought the nod were ok with discloused pressing and that members could press books for others only if they had a legit biz. I don't think there is anything to read into here.......

.........though I bet, some of the nod members are busting a nut over this :baiting:

I also bet Marnin is losing it, first Susan start pressing books without doing restoration to them and now Brent..............

Steve, you're right on this. But Susan doesn't press without restoration currently. At least according to her website.

She has not got around to changing her website. I thought this was common knowledge........... (shrug)

@$10 a pop? Who's the $10 "best in the business" presser? (shrug)

I would say I'm always the last one to know, but sometimes I never even find out! lol

:hi:

The best 10 dollar presser?Ive heard its Joeypost.

Traffic jam when you're already late

A No Smoking sign on your cigarette break

It's like the Chairman of Nod, just pressin' them books

Or a Houston-based retailer with stunning good looks

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

I'm sending you to songwriting school...that's TWICE today (at least) you've made me groan out loud...

I said groan, not moan.

:sick:

I'll make one comment on this topic...

NOD says it is not anti-pressing.

NOD says it is just pro- disclosure.

With the chairman of NOD now actively pressing, the members of NOD can say anything that they want.

But the truth is that NOD is now irrelevant.

With the chairman of NOD now actively pressing, the members of NOD can say anything that they want.

Only now? (shrug)

Here we go...

I got called a "booger-flicker" by someone when I brought that up in my 1st pressing thread . . .

It's better than eating them.

Maybe not...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/135709/benefits_of_boogereating.html

"It's possible that children who eat their own nose gold, may in fact grow up to have stronger bodies due to their fighting immune systems."

:roflmao:

Kinda reminds me when you walk into a convenience store and right next to all the nicotine patches and nicotine gum are the cigarettes,then when you closely inspect the labels you come to find out that the same people who make these nicotine patches are also the same people who make the cigarettes,so see they get the smokers money either way.

That's 4 comments . . . NOD zzz

This is exactly the thread I've been looking for all day.

:popcorn:

Your welcome. lol:whee:

(btw, would love to see your Canadian variant list to start to match up with mine, especially at the back end.)

You're welcome.

I did it on purpose. doh! Search for "Your Welcome".

No...no, please don't...nooooo!!

( lol )

(that's ok, *I* knew what you meant, and that's all that matters. :cloud9: )

:foryou:

I thought I actually handled myself well in that disaster of a thread, and I stand by my position. The guy was being a jackarse and he knew it, I knew it, and so did anyone with a brain.

;)

(Don't blame me, I didn't bring it up.... lol )

Does anyone know when pressing started?

1963 or so.

Wouldn't doubt it. But I think most would agree the practice became widespread with the advent of CGC grading. Suddenly the removal of non-color breaking creases could magically increase the value of a re-slabbed book by 2X or more.

For the benefit of etanick, here's an early 2003 thread that starts to let the cat out of the bag regarding a big-name dealer's "prep" services prior to submission to CGC:

What do you get for your $39.95?

Actually, every book has been pressed....how do you think they end up laying flat after someone puts a staple or two in the middle of the paper and folds the whole thing in half!?!? lol

Waddup James? :hi:

Hey Mike-- so you're also claiming trademark of the "every comic is pressed"

chestnut? :cloud9: Man, you must make a mint off these pressing threads! (worship)

Traffic jam when you're already late

A No Smoking sign on your cigarette break

It's like the Chairman of Nod, just pressin' them books

Or a Houston-based retailer with stunning good looks

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

The first three are fine examples of irony (thumbs u

The fourth is just fact :grin:

What really scares people about the book being pressed? That there will be more better copies of a book people love out there? So it a finaicial gain thing? So what anitpresser feel it should be resto and worth less and pro pressers think it isnt resto and worth the same ??? ? Who cares read the damn things and look at the pretty pictures for pete's sake...

Well this certainly settles the question of whether NOD as an organisation is against pressing.

Unfortunately, with the NOD chairman performing a manipulative process on comics that won't be detected if and when their customers decide to sell on without disclosure, it kinda seems to justify the ridicule that has been leveled at NOD over time.

1963 or so.

Wouldn't doubt it. But I think most would agree the practice became widespread with the advent of CGC grading. Suddenly the removal of non-color breaking creases could magically increase the value of a re-slabbed book by 2X or more.

For the benefit of etanick, here's an early 2003 thread that starts to let the cat out of the bag regarding a big-name dealer's "prep" services prior to submission to CGC:

Gem from that 2003 thread:

"... tweaking a 6.0 into a 9.6 would be as feasible a possibility as throwing a grand piano into orbit and there is NO mention or allusions he is making to restoration, so let's rule that out."

lol How many years later did that CGC 4.0 to CGC 9.0 show up?

Piano, meet Orbit. :ohnoez:lol

Well this certainly settles the question of whether NOD as an organisation is against pressing.

Unfortunately, with the NOD chairman performing a manipulative process on comics that won't be detected if and when their customers decide to sell on without disclosure, it kinda seems to justify the ridicule that has been leveled at NOD over time.

{Insert Falcon Punch video}

1963 or so.

Gem from that 2003 thread:

"... tweaking a 6.0 into a 9.6 would be as feasible a possibility as throwing a grand piano into orbit and there is NO mention or allusions he is making to restoration, so let's rule that out."

lol How many years later did that CGC 4.0 to CGC 9.0 show up?

Piano, meet Orbit. :ohnoez:lol

Yeah, but that took more effort than a simple "tweaking." :eyeroll:

I used to be a contibuting member of NOD. I thought it a bit regulation-heavy, like using the NOD logo whenever you posted anywhere, but went with the flow. BUT - When the organization busted Flee for what I thought was a hilarious parody, I quit.

People have misunderstood NOD's purpose, at least the way I, as a member, interpreted it. The issue was NEVER whether the organization was for or against pressing, just about disclosure of information. I still support the concept of disclosure, just not in a ham-fisted way. Just my 2cents.

Pressing Service

Quality Comix is proud to announce it's new professional pressing service. Two tiers will be offered - Regular tier turnaround time is 2 weeks and Express tier turnaround time is only 3 business days! Along with having superior service and turnaround times, Quality Comix also offers the best pressing rates in the industry. Customers that wish to have their books pressed can log into their accounts to create a pressing invoice to be mailed with the comics that need a press. Our current pressing rates can be viewed by clicking here. Rates start at a LOW $10 for books printed after 1970. Books printed before 1970 start at only $20. Rates go up depending on service selected and value of book being submitted.

Two things I can't understand or fathom from this press release.

A:) The best rates in the business are also given by the same person that is the best presser in the business, they are $10.00 (and less) a book regardless of the era

and MORE IMPORTANTLY

Why the hell would the head of the NOD offer a pressing service? Is this not like the antigun lobby, handing over loaded weapons to people and not understanding when they fire them. Why would you offer the means so that people could sell the books undisclosed. Is it now acceptable because you got paid first???

I had nothing but respect for the NOD and their mission, but now I have lost total respect for the orginazation as a whole. Starting a company that presses books, and then heading an organization that is trying to stop pressed books from being sold undisclosed is a blatant conflict of interest.

What's next? Give heroin addicts needles to see if they'll start using again???

Jim

I can see Aaron now.Veins bulging in his neck and pissed as hell.

everyone's being uncharacteristically myopic about this.

i think it's a brilliant strategy by NOD to start the process by which they may corner the pressing market, and thus exact a small measure of control through their online image documenting service.

the question is, will the effort be successful, or are we looking at the Hunt Brothers, Part II?

Are you saying their press jobs will soon be $48 per press?