• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

I doubt anyone on these boards has first hand knowledge that Ewert is still selling.

Wrong.

In the words of the immortal Greggy, prove it.

Hmmmm.no......I'll just pull a "foolkiller" and drop a bomb then refuse to respond after several requests.

Wrong :sumo:

I think he's actually referring to a thread where I alluded to some dealers who have actively placed books back on the wall knowing they had touch to them or resto pointed out.

These "name names" threads on dealers never go well and as Nick pointed out, have been previously discussed. There were repeated requests for an answer from two members... as most of the older members were not interested in the rehash.

Dan seems to know VA Cliff and I'm sure he's perfectly fine guy -- but my point is, the people in this thread aren't going to care about this info unless someone comes forward with first hand knowledge or proof. I wasn't asking anyone to give credibility to what I was saying either way. I frankly don't care. I know what I know, and I'm not asking him to actually come forward with anything, that's his business and if he does fine and if he doesn't fine too.

Put it this way....Ewert was a big name in this hobby, he made lots of money, and he made a lot of dealers lots of money by buying their books and "enhancing" them.

It all got exposed and his name is no longer good in the community.

But ask yourself this rather obvious question..........if he was making lots of money at it, do you really think he just went away?

Brian-

You know me, at least by sight. I'm at all the conventions working in Steve Ritter's booth. Tall, brown hair, (no longer brown) goatee, glasses.

I doubt anyone on these boards has first hand knowledge that Ewert is still selling.

Wrong.

Hmmmm.no......I'll just pull a "foolkiller" and drop a bomb then refuse to respond after several requests.

I think he's actually referring to a thread where I alluded to some dealers who have actively placed books back on the wall knowing they had touch to them or resto pointed out.

These "name names" threads on dealers never go well and as Nick pointed out, have been previously discussed. There were repeated requests for an answer from two members... as most of the older members were not interested in the rehash.

Dan seems to know VA Cliff and I'm sure he's perfectly fine guy -- but my point is, the people in this thread aren't going to care about this info unless someone comes forward with first hand knowledge or proof. I wasn't asking anyone to give credibility to what I was saying either way. I frankly don't care. I know what I know, and I'm not asking him to actually come forward with anything, that's his business and if he does fine and if he doesn't fine too.

Put it this way....Ewert was a big name in this hobby, he made lots of money, and he made a lot of dealers lots of money by buying their books and "enhancing" them.

But ask yourself this rather obvious question..........if he was making lots of money at it, do you really think he just went away?

Brian-

You know me, at least by sight. I'm at all the conventions working in Steve Ritter's booth. Tall, brown hair, (no longer brown) goatee, glasses.

:hi:

I hope your back is better:)

Wrong.

Brian-

Cliff, I do know you now. No, I never thought he went away, nor does anyone I know. I think we all assumed he went underground for a bit, but is back at it.

I think we all assumed he went underground for a bit, but is back at it.

Has anyone ever posted any rumors/stories/examples of Ewert selling trimmed books raw (prior to encapsulation)? (shrug)

I can't remember reading any. And I've wondered if Ewert was always working an advantage or if he got caught up in some emerging culture that got away from him.

You know? Why would someone suddenly pick up the knife after decades of successful selling? If money was the only motivator, it's still very bizarre behavior and insane risk-taking. Especially when you're at that level where you sit at the big table with all the big boys, like he was.

I still have the whole Ewert fiasco in the Weird Tales category. Too much hidden, too much doesn't make any sense.

Why would someone suddenly pick up the knife after decades of successful selling? If money was the only motivator, it's still very bizarre behavior and insane risk-taking. Especially when you're at that level where you sit at the big table with all the big boys, like he was.

Increased competition for the "best stuff." If it's no longer as easy as it was to obtain top notch material, you either settle for second best, or start manufacturing it.

I see this with autograph dealers all the time. A dealer will tap into a great resource and sell like crazy for a year or two. Once it dries up they have trouble obtaining more great material. Suddenly, they once again start offering top notch material, but this time disturbing patterns begin to emerge. Many a good dealer has gone bad trying to keep up with past success.

Wrong.

Brian-

Ah, so you're Cliff, unless I'm confusing you with the guy with the mohawk, but I think his name is Sean. hm

Why would someone suddenly pick up the knife after decades of successful selling? If money was the only motivator, it's still very bizarre behavior and insane risk-taking. Especially when you're at that level where you sit at the big table with all the big boys, like he was.

Increased competition for the "best stuff." If it's no longer as easy as it was to obtain top notch material, you either settle for second best, or start manufacturing it.

I see this with autograph dealers all the time. A dealer will tap into a great resource and sell like crazy for a year or two. Once it dries up they have trouble obtaining more great material. Suddenly, they once again start offering top notch material, but this time disturbing patterns begin to emerge. Many a good dealer has gone bad trying to keep up with past success.

That makes perfect sense. (thumbs u Thank you.

The reason I mentioned emerging culture was to put Ewert into "context". At his level he was probably one of the few who knew from day-1 the welcome mat was out for non-additive alterations. That, coupled with the Blue Label most presumed (at that point) meant "unaltered original", provided a huge grade-tweaking advantage. With that kind of advantage, if he staid inside the lines, he could've had a field day and enjoyed his Legend of having "a great eye". Picking up the knife for an additional advantage seems...supremely stupid. (shrug)

A dealer will tap into a great resource and sell like crazy for a year or two. Once it dries up they have trouble obtaining more great material. Suddenly, they once again start offering top notch material, but this time disturbing patterns begin to emerge. Many a good dealer has gone bad trying to keep up with past success.

So true, and I've known one or two collectors / dealers who've done this. The power is often as key a motivator as the money.

That makes perfect sense. (thumbs u Thank you.

The reason I mentioned emerging culture was to put Ewert into "context". At his level he was probably one of the few who knew from day-1 the welcome mat was out for non-additive alterations. That, coupled with the Blue Label most presumed (at that point) meant "unaltered original", provided a huge grade-tweaking advantage. With that kind of advantage, if he staid inside the lines, he could've had a field day and enjoyed his Legend of having "a great eye". Picking up the knife for an additional advantage seems...supremely stupid. (shrug)

Jason was an extremely hard working dealer in that he spent a lot of time digging through bins when other people just could not be bothered, so that probably bought him a lot of "benefit if the doubt" when people wondered how he always came up with nice books.

Tupenny cameo drive-by music video thread commentary:

There aren't too many bands that could play hard and stay melodic like Iron Maiden could and of all the super bands they are by far the best for that.

That's probably one of my favorite songs by them.

:cloud9:

That's crazy - I just downloaded that song on Sunday and have been playing it non-stop the past two days. :whatthe:

P.S. - Pressing still sucks. :gossip:

Nothing is crazy. :whatthe:

Pressing still sucks for you :gossip:

Best Maiden song ever.

It's certainly up there. (thumbs u

One of the bands that I rarely think about any more, but back in the day...

I saw them first at the Liverpool Empire...2,000 seater and they still had Di'Anno as vocalist. Next time I see them, they're headlining Donnington!

Best Maiden song ever.

It's certainly up there. (thumbs u

One of the bands that I rarely think about any more, but back in the day...

I saw them first at the Liverpool Empire...2,000 seater and they still had Di'Anno as vocalist. Next time I see them, they're headlining Donnington!

For me it's the song "Killers" which is right up there as the best NWoBHM song ever.

I actually prefer Maiden with Paul Di'anno...I still love the first two albums.

Their self-titled debut was the first LP I bought with my own money :cloud9: and I still prefer the "dirtier" sound they had back when it all started.

Sad when Paul left, but as I also was a "Samson" fan in the day, I thought it fantastic that their singer made it to the big leagues and would be fronting Maiden from then on. Loved Bruce Dickinson and bought every album religiously the day they came out up till "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" but that's where it stopped for me.

Ah memories of denim and leather....