• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest SA book

28 posts in this topic

Joker001.jpg?t=1263663456

This is what I believe to be the rarest silver age book. There are only 2 in the census. This is the only one I have ever seen. And while it only guides for $80 in NM, it sells for over $4000 in unslabbed 6.0. Just look on page 145 in the current Overstreet under Batman prell shampoo premium

Wonder if Ian has one of those?

He only made an effort to buy newsstand releases didn't he? Doesn't mean he didn't get a copy of this along the way anyway.

Where did this thing get distributed? I find it weird to include non-newsstand releases in rarity discussions.

I for one don't consider premiums, mail aways, give aways, etc as anything other than a novelty... probably the reason it is rare is that folks either don't know about it, or don't care about it as far as adding to their "collection" ...

but for the premium collector, maybe this is a grail (shrug)

but to call it the "rarest" SA book is a joke, as many don't even consider it (thumbs u

The last time I checked Ian's thread, I got the impression he was heavily into premiums. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yep, me too.

I dont know who this Ian is. But I am not Ian. I am new to the collectors society and I only collect rare comics. Almost all my books are golden age. The jokers practical jokes is one of the few silver age books I have.

Ian Levine is a DC completist who used to post here. Put his name in the search function and numerous threads about and by him will pop up.

Never seen the Batman premium before - very cool!

While some collectors are dismissive of odd sized giveaways and the like and only consider newstand comics in their collecting criteria, and therefore think that any comments concerning the rarity of such should be qualified, many here think premuims and giveaways are a fascinating part of comics history.

Welcome to the boards, and don't mind what may seem like a little hazing.

The last time I checked Ian's thread, I got the impression he was heavily into premiums. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yep, me too.

Ian collected anything and everything that was printed by DC.