• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko Spidey Splash - your for $100K

70 posts in this topic

Wow, who's booth was that?

Pretty sure that was Mike Thibodeaux's booth at SDCC. But, I don't really pay attention to stuff that's outside my collecting zone, so maybe someone else can confirm.

I wonder if the art of the 90's and recent Y2K Decade will spark the same nosalgia (as well as feverish demand, frenzied bidding wars and higher prices) in 10 to 30 years as the kids who read those books grow up and grow to appreciate and afford collecting original art.

Will people be posting up splash pages and covers of Lady Death, Darkchylde, Witchblade, WildCATS, Spawn, Cry for Dawn, etc to the envy of the hobby's eye?

Will artists like J.Scott Campbell, Jim Lee, and Michael Turner be the Ditko, Kirby and Infantino's of the future?

...and should I now be hording all of the original art instead of investing in my 401k in anticipation of that? :) j/k :)

You don't think that's already happening? I believe that are a number of collectors who are 27 - 30ish and when they were 13 - 16, or so, they were reading all those books.

That's the prime nostalgia window, so they are out there buying it.

Call me crazy, but this is my all time favorite splash, no question

DitkoSpid26.jpg

Is this owned by david mandel?

the whole interiors

He seems to be a really cool guy.He loaneda huge amount of material to the art exhibit at the univerisity of oregon.The whole book for spidey 26.That is insanely great.

I wonder if the art of the 90's and recent Y2K Decade will spark the same nosalgia (as well as feverish demand, frenzied bidding wars and higher prices) in 10 to 30 years as the kids who read those books grow up and grow to appreciate and afford collecting original art.

Will people be posting up splash pages and covers of Lady Death, Darkchylde, Witchblade, WildCATS, Spawn, Cry for Dawn, etc to the envy of the hobby's eye?

Will artists like J.Scott Campbell, Jim Lee, and Michael Turner be the Ditko, Kirby and Infantino's of the future?

...and should I now be hording all of the original art instead of investing in my 401k in anticipation of that? :) j/k :)

You don't think that's already happening? I believe that are a number of collectors who are 27 - 30ish and when they were 13 - 16, or so, they were reading all those books.

That's the prime nostalgia window, so they are out there buying it.

i am not so sure. I am the 30ish audience and there was a lot more available entertainment

wise then just comics back then. Granted people are buying it but past performance

does not guarantee future results. Video games, computing, remote control stuff,

etc... were all booming then. The comic market, if i recall correctly from the 80s

and up were all older folks for the most part. I felt like I was often the youngest

in the store most of the time back then.

edited to add: and why does it seem that most comic book stores were going out

of business shortly after all that? not to mention card shops and most other collectible

stores. This was before the internet web shopping boom too. My small city of

50,000 had 4 stores back then. Now i can only think of one.

Just saying is all. A 30 year old will more then likely enjoy an xbox or playstation

before blowing the money on original art or gi joe figures.

why does it seem that most comic book stores were going out

of business shortly after all that? not to mention card shops and most other collectible

As a former comic book store owner I can tell you that had a lot to do with Marvel and DC wanting a bigger piece of the pie and deciding to handle their own direct distribution through exclusive vendors. Unless your store was big enough to still maintain your percentage discount your measly profits just evaporated.

As usual, the comic book industry shot itself in the foot yet again.

Well, if that's the case, then it's 34-40 year old's with terrible taste in comics that are collecting Darkchylde, et al; a quick search on CAF shows that there are people who are buying multiples of covers and splashes.

i do not remember that being around from the 1980s. Heck, I just looked it up

and it is from 1996+.

After reading up on it, it appears to have been a hot seller. Real hot. So with that

said it is no surprise people bought the art and want to show it off. Even though

looking at the covers.. for the life of me i cannot figure out why. Good stories?

Since it is so new I cannot see nostalgia being a factor but the sheer popularity

of it driving OA sales. After all, a 35ish year old would have been 25 in the middle

of the series more or less. Not exactly a kid buying a book and wanting something

from their youth. More or less the same age bracket that we are suggesting may

be the last hurrah.

edited to add:

after googling the title name and looking at the non stop poses of a scantily clad

girl... one might just assume that some of these 30 year olds do not get enough

sex. you make the call! ;-)

it strikes me as a modern version of the pin up girl... but with bat wings in many cases.

DarkchyldeTheLegacy1AUcvr.JPG

well i have taken this thread way off topic. sorry all.

why does it seem that most comic book stores were going out

As a former comic book store owner I can tell you that had a lot to do with Marvel and DC wanting a bigger piece of the pie and deciding to handle their own direct distribution through exclusive vendors. Unless your store was big enough to still maintain your percentage discount your measly profits just evaporated.

As usual, the comic book industry shot itself in the foot yet again.

and here i thought it was from the gimmicks and lousy stories. or having to buy

several titles, half i did not care for, to read a single story was total BS. or prices

going up from the non stop claiming of rising paper prices while being pumped to

get this great baxter paper i think it was called. or ... heh, you all remember.

yeah I think so too. I am 34. guys four years younger than me weren't really into comics when they were kids. My wave was pretty much the last hurrah

I disagree. I'm 30 and EVERYONE in my circle of friends collected comics up until 92/93 and I wasn't even a geek (well, maybe a little...). Almost everyone I know has a short box full of Valiant/Spawn/McFarlane Spider-Man in their parents' attic.

Now I do have a good friend who is 26 and has probably never owned a comic in his life, so the cutoff is somewhere around there, but it's definitely a little later than you think...

Ok, to help get this thread back on track. Here is a splash I don't own. Here is a splash I think is great. Here is an A@@-shot splash with a partially covered face.....

Kirby20Royer20Black20Panther20620Pa.jpg

I am going to agree with Dan on this one. This page has three big things going for it in my opinion

1. Splash page with an action shot

2. Drawn by the master, Jack Kirby

3. Features the ever cool Black Panther

I am going to agree with Dan on this one. This page has three big things going for it in my opinion

And, likewise I would continue the comparison to the ASM splash with:

2. Drawn by the master, Steve Ditko

3. Features the ever cool Spider-man

And, likewise I would continue the comparison to the ASM splash with:

2. Drawn by the master, Steve Ditko

3. Features the ever cool Spider-man

The asm 35 splash is not so much an a@@ shot as a crotch shot.

Which, depending on your view, could make it less or more desirable.

yeah I think so too. I am 34. guys four years younger than me weren't really into comics when they were kids. My wave was pretty much the last hurrah

I disagree. I'm 30 and EVERYONE in my circle of friends collected comics up until 92/93 and I wasn't even a geek (well, maybe a little...). Almost everyone I know has a short box full of Valiant/Spawn/McFarlane Spider-Man in their parents' attic.

Now I do have a good friend who is 26 and has probably never owned a comic in his life, so the cutoff is somewhere around there, but it's definitely a little later than you think...

Why does it appeat everyone in 92/93 suddenly realized comics had become ?

because it ten years for them to realize that's all they had become by then

That Ditko splash is amazing! Prime era Ditko Spiderman on a very nicely arranged compostition. Jack Kirbys Black Panther splash features the kings later artwork. My opinion is that Kirby peaked towards the middle/end of his FF run. I think it's a pretty drastic decline and the Panther splash shows that. Don't get me wrong I love Jack Kirby and it's a great splash but the ASM splash is PERFECT for any Ditko Spidey collector.

because it ten years for them to realize that's all they had become by then

Absolutely. Because because DARK KNIGHT RETURNS was . As was CRISIS. And WATCHMEN. And SANDMAN. And MAUS. Yup, comics were absolutely terrible once they moved away from having every sentence end with an exclamation point.

Please remember that this is coming from a guy who absolutely loves the Golden Age, and respects the arc that comics have taken from the 1930's until today. If you really want to get deep, this guy respects the arc pictorial storytelling has taken from wall paintings, to Goya, to Migliari.

I'm not quite sure why there appears to be a need to dismiss time periods other than those one is the most familiar with. Every childhood has its corresponding memories, every age its heroes. There should be no need to trash any of it in order to put one's own perspective of nostalgia on a pedestal.