• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What percentage of OSPG is a good value for buying RAW books?

9 posts in this topic

I'm interested in buying RAW copies of DC/Marvel from the bronze age in NM (9.4) to Near Mint/Mint (9.8) condition to complete runs. With the significant decline in prices of CGC graded books from the bronze age, I'm wondering how far prices on raw books have fallen.

What would be a good benchmark?

For example, paying 9.2 guide prices for a NM+ (9.6) or a NM/M (9.8)...

I think with the headhunters out there you'd be prepared to pay 100-200% of OPG for the issues you mention. Add ANOTHER 50-100% of that figure for complete runs. So you might be better looking on craigslist or advertising locally to buy comics. I found great success leaving my card at the LCS and buying whatever they couldn't afford. Then go spend some money back with them.

But just as a bit of guidance, if I was selling a raw Bronze Age book that I considered had a good shot at 9.8, I'd be asking more than OS 9.2. (thumbs u

me too...

Please someone direct me to the dealer who is not. Very shortly, he won't have any books. doh!

I will acknowledge there has been a softening of some prices, but 10 times guide for a 9.8 is still pretty decent as opposed to guide.

I'm interested in buying RAW copies of DC/Marvel from the bronze age in NM (9.4) to Near Mint/Mint (9.8) condition to complete runs. With the significant decline in prices of CGC graded books from the bronze age, I'm wondering how far prices on raw books have fallen.

They haven't. The declines in CGC prices are because of supply and demand. There are more copies of more books in high grades available = prices fall.

What would be a good benchmark?

For example, paying 9.2 guide prices for a NM+ (9.6) or a NM/M (9.8)...

If you are talking about online, you cannot buy raw "9.6 or 9.8" books with anything approaching regularity. Those who actually have 9.6/9.8 potential books are more likely as not to have them graded, and those who don't think have them they are anyways.

I consider it a great bonus when I receive 9.6/9.8 potential books when buying online. 97% of everything I've received is NOT.

If you're talking about in person, then paying 9.2 OPG for 9.6/9.8 books will do you just fine. This assumes A. you know how to grade and/or B. you have no intention of slabbing them yourself to sell and are happy with them.