• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WW Toronto Comic Con, March 26-28, 2010, Direct Energy Centre

126 posts in this topic

This should be THE comic show in Toronto this year!!!

I'm really looking forward to it, and god willing somebody hook Barb and I up where we get to have a dinner with Eliza Dushku :cloud9:

Jim

I'm stoked to see Eliza too but, I'm still hoping they flesh out the comic guest list a little bit and THE comic book show of the year is, objectively, just a bit of a stretch. They're only brinigng three decent international creators so far. I mean Simone, Jimenez and Granov are great but I'm surprised we're not even seeing artists that had typically attended many Wizard shows in the past (J.G. Jones, Brian Azzarello, etc.). I thought by going so early in the calendar and being Wizard's first 2010 show they'd really bring the heavy-hitters but so far, it's been pretty much :whatev:

I'm really hoping this is just the beginning of the guestlist. Great dealer's are nice, but I typically spend more of my precious convention dollars with artists and creators. So, I hope they can bring in a few people Toronto hasn't seen in awhlie.

2c

Like Roy said earlier, I have no interest in the guests/creators. I travel across North America to all the major conventions and as long as I hang with my friends and get exposed to great vintage books that is all I care about.

Wanna pick up great books, attend WWToronto, if you wanna hang with creators go to the show in the late summer. Personally that weekend I plan on driving 10 hours to go to Baltimore Comic Con, instead of a half an hour to FanExpo. If you're a vintage comic enthusiast Wizard World Toronto is the PREMIERE comic book show in Canada for 2010.

Jim

This should be THE comic show in Toronto this year!!!

I'm really looking forward to it, and god willing somebody hook Barb and I up where we get to have a dinner with Eliza Dushku :cloud9:

Jim

I'm stoked to see Eliza too but, I'm still hoping they flesh out the comic guest list a little bit and THE comic book show of the year is, objectively, just a bit of a stretch. They're only brinigng three decent international creators so far. I mean Simone, Jimenez and Granov are great but I'm surprised we're not even seeing artists that had typically attended many Wizard shows in the past (J.G. Jones, Brian Azzarello, etc.). I thought by going so early in the calendar and being Wizard's first 2010 show they'd really bring the heavy-hitters but so far, it's been pretty much :whatev:

I'm really hoping this is just the beginning of the guestlist. Great dealer's are nice, but I typically spend more of my precious convention dollars with artists and creators. So, I hope they can bring in a few people Toronto hasn't seen in awhlie.

2c

Like Roy said earlier, I have no interest in the guests/creators. I travel across North America to all the major conventions and as long as I hang with my friends and get exposed to great vintage books that is all I care about.

Wanna pick up great books, attend WWToronto, if you wanna hang with creators go to the show in the late summer. Personally that weekend I plan on driving 10 hours to go to Baltimore Comic Con, instead of a half an hour to FanExpo. If you're a vintage comic enthusiast Wizard World Toronto is the PREMIERE comic book show in Canada for 2010.

Jim

I think time will tell on this one. Either way, looking forward to it.

lol.... here we are getting along all peacefully and you guys are stirring the pot and making it into a measuring competition... gone are the days of being forced to choose between one or the other. Go to one, go to both, that's up to you, whatever... have fun. If, when looking at what Wizard is offering you see something you like, more power to you. Both shows have dealers, both shows have guests... if you like what one show offers over the other in each department, that's your opinion.... so have fun in Baltimore Jim. For obvious reasons I won't be attending the Wizard show (or, Baltimore for that matter).

lol.... here we are getting along all peacefully and you guys are stirring the pot and making it into a measuring competition... gone are the days of being forced to choose between one or the other. Go to one, go to both, that's up to you, whatever... have fun. If, when looking at what Wizard is offering you see something you like, more power to you. Both shows have dealers, both shows have guests... if you like what one show offers over the other in each department, that's your opinion.... so have fun in Baltimore Jim. For obvious reasons I won't be attending the Wizard show (or, Baltimore for that matter).

Kevin, I don't think Jim was stirring the pot, nor was I. Every body goes to cons for their own reasons. My primary reason for visiting cons is to look for vintage books.

I thoroughly enjoy the Fan Expo every year but not as much for the vintage comics. It's a fun show for meeting people, seeing costumes and displays, etc.

I haven't seen Ted, Bob, Ritter/Nelson north of the border in years and they are definitely heavy in vintage comics. There's just no argument there.

It's not stirring the pot. Nobody said anything bad about Fan Expo. It's simply having a preference and explaining why. To each his own.

(shrug)

Thanks Roy, that pretty much sums it up. Not trying to stir the pot at all.

Now if you want me too I can, like if CGC is coming to Toronto, and you are the director of CGC Sig Series, and you attend most other Wizard shows, why would you not be attending this show in support of the Sig Series Program?

If the shows are no longer in competition with each other, why would you not attend?

If gone are the days "we" are forced to choose, why are you still?

Jim

Not arguing that they aren't vintage at all Roy. Just said my peace about the way this is being pushed in this and the NJ thread.

I only see Ted listed on the Wizard website, I assume Steve is probably sharing the space with him like he used to. I thought Bob was going to Planet Comicon in Kansas City that same weekend. It will be nice to see him again if he changed his mind.

I am not the director of the Signature Series program Jim. I have resigned from that position. Upcoming changes to the program as well as changes here with my work doing cancer research led to me deciding to move along.

That being said, I could never sway CGC from what shows they do and don't do. They did Fan Expo one year, then Wizard decided to come to Toronto and they decided not to come twice in a year as they do every Wizard show without fail.

Last October at the NYCC, Wizard's owners and staff (not talking about Peter) wanted to talk about convention politics in Toronto, I decided that I would prefer not to attend any of their future events if I was to be singled out in such a way. It was not a comfortable situation as I have no interest in being the middle man between these specific Toronto conventions ever again. I did that for five years and it made me miserable. If I were to attend WWT then I would be drawing attention away from the event at hand and would feel awkward discussing Hobbystar business at a Wizard show. Also, with Wizard ejecting Reed Exhibitions staff from the NYCC I felt that my presence was putting CGC in an awkward spot as well, so I told CGC that I would not be going to any Wizard shows in 2010, but especially that one as it would be even more awkward than the others. And since I've resigned, I won't be going to any shows on their behalf this year at all.

I want to do this show. Just trying to figure out the whole customs and exchange rate stuff.

Jeff

Exchange won't be a problem as the Cdn loonie is almost at par with US greenback again, but how long will this last?

Main problem is the gst tax deposit USA dealers are supposed to leave at the border before they can enter Canada. e.g. $100,000 inventory mean $5,000 gst just to enter the country before a single retail sale. The pain comes when you need to keep detailed receipts of all your sales to Canadian collectors at the comicon. Then you apply for a gst credit when you cross back into USA homeland.

Else USA vendors would have a 5% cost advantage over Canadian vendors. Welcome to free trade. doh!

This is absolutely incorrect. US dealers do not have to leave a deposit of 5% of their inventory. They have to pay a fee to register their product, and we have Livingston Customs brokers taking care of that. Feel free to send me an email or give me a call if you have any questions about customs or anything else about the show.

Thanks

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

416 487-9807

paradisecomics@on.aibn.com

Here is a contact with information on cutoms

Mario Mendes, Event Coordinator

Livingston Event Logistics

40 University Avenue

Suite 400

Toronto, ON M5J 1T1

T. 416-863-9339 ext. 140

F. 416-863-5149

C. 416-419-4186

Toll: 1-800-665-4628

I should be available on the Friday night but I don't know you! (shrug)

Would like to put a face to the names I see here alot.... especially us GTA guys.

My cousin (Xmen collector) would probably join.

You don't have to know me-- that's the beauty of doing these! I'll start PMing anyone who posts here and anyone else that's come by in the past soon. Hopefully can get something going again-- been too long!

-Rob-

I'll definitely be going. I'm trying my best to hold off on any major purchases until then. I don't know if it will be THE show to go to in Toronto but I'm hoping so (thumbs u

This is a bit off-topic and a question for locals but myself and a few friends are coming in from Hamilton and would rather not make the drive (no-one wants to fight QEW traffic on a Friday) and I was wondering if there is anywhere by the Exhibition Go Platform to get a good breakfast/lunch?

Yeah, it's kind of a dead zone for restaurants. You might be in for a bit of hike if you wanted to sit down for breakfast. I don't know exactly where the Go station is but from the Direct Energy Centre the closest place open that time of year is probably up on King St. which would be at least a 20min walk from the gates of the Ex.