• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Comics (2-4-04). What should I avoid and what should I pick up?

60 posts in this topic

Suggestions? Especially from you LCS owners who get to read the stuff a week in advance. I am pretty much a Marvel Super Hero Zombie, but do venture into other comics like 100 bullets and I bought DCs Batman Hush storyline. What is the best Super-Hero comic being produced at this time which every fanboy should pick up monthly? I am a die hard Punisher fan. Hope Ennis won't ever get bored with it and move on.

This week I'm most eagerly anticipating Lovecraft. But, that's just the Lovecraft fan in me talking.

Regular comics I'll be buying

Eye Of The Storm: Coup D'État — Sleeper #1 (and hopefully I'll be buying some art from this book soon too smile.gif )

Supreme Power #7

Thanos #6

This week I'm most eagerly anticipating Lovecraft. But, that's just the Lovecraft fan in me talking.

Eye Of The Storm: Coup D'État — Sleeper #1 (and hopefully I'll be buying some art from this book soon too smile.gif )

Supreme Power #7

Thanos #6

Sounds like you are a fan of space Super-Hero related comics, correct? I bought the 1st issue of Thanos, Supreme Power, and the New Silver Surfer, but they didn't hook me enough to buy the 2nd issues. I am mostly a mainstream Marvel Super-Hero fan, but I did like the 1st Marvel Secret Wars series in the 80s with the Beyonder as well as the numerous Galactus vs Fantastic Four story arcs in the regular FF series. Were you a ROM spaceknight fan in the 80s?

Here's my list for this week:

Cerebus 299

JSA 58

Plastic Man 3

Supreme Power 7

Thanos 6

Ultimate Spider-Man 53

Y the Last Man 19

Based on your previous posts the only book I think you'll like is Ultimate Spider-Man 53.

Kev

Here's my list for this week:

Cerebus 299

JSA 58

Plastic Man 3

Supreme Power 7

Thanos 6

Ultimate Spider-Man 53

Y the Last Man 19

Based on your previous posts the only book I think you'll like is Ultimate Spider-Man 53.

Kev

Looks like USM #53 will probably be the only comic I pick up. Slim pickins for mainstream marvel titles this week I guess. I did buy the first 2 Y: the Last Man TPBs and looking forward to the 3rd. I might give Supreme Power a second look if it comes out in a TPB.

I'm buying this book in particular because it's Jim Lee on The Authority- I'm a fan of both (although The Authority hasn't been all that noteworthy for a while frown.gif) The series as a whole is a "core titles" (the "Eye of the Storm" imprint) event at Wildstorm... here's the page from Wildstorm which will explain it better than I can.

All I really want out of it is the ability to tell Albert Moy exactly which pages I'd be interested in when he gets them in. 27_laughing.gif

Supreme Power #7

Thanos #6

Sounds like you are a fan of space Super-Hero related comics, correct? I bought the 1st issue of Thanos, Supreme Power, and the New Silver Surfer, but they didn't hook me enough to buy the 2nd issues. I am mostly a mainstream Marvel Super-Hero fan, but I did like the 1st Marvel Secret Wars series in the 80s with the Beyonder as well as the numerous Galactus vs Fantastic Four story arcs in the regular FF series. Were you a ROM spaceknight fan in the 80s?

I love certain cosmic storylines. It depends on the creator in charge and the characters involved. I'm a sucker for Jim Starlin, Galactus, Thanos and Warlock so that would explain my interest in the Thanos series 27_laughing.gif

I read Rom #1 on the beach when I was a little kid. It ended up blowing away down the beach shocked.gif

Suggestions? Especially from you LCS owners who get to read the stuff a week in advance.

By the way, if you want the opinion of at least one LCS owner just type the word "lighthouse."

He'll magically appear.

I think if you type "lighthouse... strippers" he'll appear a little faster shocked.gif

Suggestions? Especially from you LCS owners who get to read the stuff a week in advance.

By the way, if you want the opinion of at least one LCS owner just type the word "lighthouse."

He'll magically appear.

I think if you type "lighthouse... strippers" he'll appear a little faster shocked.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I laugh, because it is true thumbsup2.gif

He'll magically appear.

I don't search for "strippers"... 893naughty-thumb.gif

But um... YOU RANG?

Let's see... this week's books...

[*]I enjoyed the first issue of Frankenstein's Mobster. Issue 2 is out this week from Image.[*]Uncanny was weak[*]Thanos 6 was fantastic. Who knows where the story will go now...[*]Wolverine/Cap 1 was cool just because Wolverine dies. But everyone is really shiny and that bugs the bug out of me.[*]Runaways proves once again that drugs are the answer to everyone's problems[*]Inhumans features lots of half-nekkid women but the story is getting tired[*]Hulk Unchained... well, I am not a big fan of comics based on video games, but sweet-mother-of-God there is an awesome splash page about halfway through the book. I would never buy a comic for one page of art unless I was an aspiring artist, but holy freaking [!@#%^&^] that page is awesome...[*]X-Men Unlimited was better than Spider-Man Unlimited but as first issues go it was kinda flat[*]Exiles 42 makes me miss Judd Winick but at least it finds a way to use the phrase "Butt Monkey"[*]X-Treme X-Men is getting x-tremely boring. I wish Claremont would switch to just doing mini-series.

X-Treme X-Men is getting x-tremely boring. I wish Claremont would switch to just doing mini-series.

Well, don't worry, because Marvel has announced that X-Treme X-Men is getting X-tremely X-terminated (as in cancelled) and Claremont is getting shunted over to Uncanny X-Men.

Gene

X-Treme X-Men is getting x-tremely boring. I wish Claremont would switch to just doing mini-series.

Well, don't worry, because Marvel has announced that X-Treme X-Men is getting X-tremely X-terminated (as in cancelled) and Claremont is getting shunted over to Uncanny X-Men.

Gene

I really don't know that that is an improvement... If anything it just gives him a chance to ruin a better title. He hates established continuity (unless he is the one establishing it). And he can't create new characters to save his life. I just don't see a viable monthly title for him to do with the X-Men at this point.

He can still tell a good story, but he's a terrible employee when it comes to playing well with others. So he needs to either be on mini-series, where he can have his own blank chalkboard to draw on and can use whatever characters he feels like... or he needs to be writing characters that he hasn't done before. His initial run on FF was actually pretty darn good. He didn't have to create any new heroes and didn't have to dovetail his book with anyone elses...

But giving him Uncanny at this point is a huge mistake.

Gene

I really don't know that that is an improvement... If anything it just gives him a chance to ruin a better title. He hates established continuity (unless he is the one establishing it). And he can't create new characters to save his life. I just don't see a viable monthly title for him to do with the X-Men at this point.

He can still tell a good story, but he's a terrible employee when it comes to playing well with others. So he needs to either be on mini-series, where he can have his own blank chalkboard to draw on and can use whatever characters he feels like... or he needs to be writing characters that he hasn't done before. His initial run on FF was actually pretty darn good. He didn't have to create any new heroes and didn't have to dovetail his book with anyone elses...

But giving him Uncanny at this point is a huge mistake.

Oh come on, Uncanny has SUCKED for the last what, two years? Unreadable rubbish it is! And I won't be picking it up when Claremont comes back, either. sumo.gif