• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cap 100 Splash - CL Feb Auction

28 posts in this topic

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2010feb%26itemtype%3D1%23Item%5F821577&id=821577

Historic yes, but not memorable. And not to my taste. If you took away all the lettering, and nothing but the image remained, it would be hard for a non fan to even discern that it is a Captain America piece of art, much less a historic page, his custome and likeness mostly being obscured in that block of ice, as it is. If I was bidding on this piece, I would not go more then about 5K. It would probably not hold my attention for very long, framed and hung up on a wall of mine.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2010feb%26itemtype%3D1%23Item%5F821577&id=821577

Historic yes, but not memorable. And not to my taste. If you took away all the lettering, and nothing but the image remained, it would be hard for a non fan to even discern that it is a Captain America piece of art, much less a historic page, his custome and likeness mostly being obscured in that block of ice, as it is. If I was bidding on this piece, I would not go more then about 5K. It would probably not hold my attention for very long, framed and hung up on a wall of mine.

no need for me to post an opinion. you summarized things nicely.

I think it is pretty cool.

Me too. Ah the good old days, when artists drew pages to tell the story rather than to make for larger art sales. It's not crazy action or dynamic in pose, but it was the origin of Cap from the time he was frozen in ice, so I guess it works for the story.

If this were drawn today it would probably have a low angle shot of Firestar straddling the block of ice to "thaw" it out.

It's not worth enough to me to win the bidding however. Someone will appreciate it for what it is though, and give it a home.

Nice page that will probably sell for way more than it should. My main issue with the page is not necessarily that it's Steve Rogers in ice, but that the majority of the page is so lightly inked. Not a lot of impact.

I think it is pretty cool.

Me too. Ah the good old days, when artists drew pages to tell the story rather than to make for larger art sales. It's not crazy action or dynamic in pose, but it was the origin of Cap from the time he was frozen in ice, so I guess it works for the story.

If this were drawn today it would probably have a low angle shot of Firestar straddling the block of ice to "thaw" it out.

It's not worth enough to me to win the bidding however. Someone will appreciate it for what it is though, and give it a home.

Let's see:

Jack Kirby Splash Page? Check

Drawn by Kirby, the guy who co-created the character in the 1940s? Check

Premier Issue of Cap in his own series? Check

Full image of Steve Rogers encased in ice, an integral piece of the Captain America origin mythos? Check

Yeah, so it's not Cap socking the Red Skull in the jaw, but a pretty darn impressive page given its historical significance. (thumbs u

Yeah, so it's not Cap socking the Red Skull in the jaw, but a pretty darn impressive page given its historical significance.

Certain collectors can seem very jaded to the newer crop of collectors. It's hard to get excited about something like this when you remeber discussing the cover of Cap 100 (Is it Tom H that has that?) and seeing comparable pieces available for 1/2 the price of a mediocre Kirby FF page.

I would be quite happy to own this page. However, aside from historical import, I wouldn’t call it prime Kirby. He drew tons of beautiful pages that didn’t involve a slugfest, but this one is on the blah side. Though it does work well in terms of the story. You open up the book and say “Whoa! Why are these Inuit worshipping some guy in a block of ice?”

Another problem is the inking. Syd Shores was a great artist, but when inking Kirby he overworked everything.

I’d go as far to say he drew pages for his 70s run on Cap that are far superior, and that I would actually prefer to own if given the option.

Reminds me a little of the disscusion about the splash to Avengers #1 when people were ripping on it because of Loki's big nose...All I was thinking the whole time was "man I would LOVE to have that splash". Its not great art, its the splash to CAP #100!

I would be quite happy to own this page. However, aside from historical import, I wouldn’t call it prime Kirby. He drew tons of beautiful pages that didn’t involve a slugfest, but this one is on the blah side. Though it does work well in terms of the story. You open up the book and say “Whoa! Why are these Inuit worshipping some guy in a block of ice?”

Another problem is the inking. Syd Shores was a great artist, but when inking Kirby he overworked everything.

I’d go as far to say he drew pages for his 70s run on Cap that are far superior, and that I would actually prefer to own if given the option.

While I think this is very cool splash, I must agree that Syd Shores was 100% NOT the right inker for Kirby. I once owned the Captain America 108 cover (bought it in spite of the inks) but eventually just had to get rid of it because the Shores inking bothered me so much. I want Kirby inked BOLD, and all the feathery dry brush stuff Shores used on Kirby was like nails on a chalk board for me (IMHO).

Gee, maybe I take all this inker stuff way too seriously....

Scott Williams

While I think this is very cool splash, I must agree that Syd Shores was 100% NOT the right inker for Kirby. I once owned the Captain America 108 cover (bought it in spite of the inks) but eventually just had to get rid of it because the Shores inking bothered me so much. I want Kirby inked BOLD, and all the feathery dry brush stuff Shores used on Kirby was like nails on a chalk board for me (IMHO).

Scott Williams

Would you say Ayers did the best pieces for Kirby?

Scott Williams

I think I know Scott's position on this, but opinions can differ.

I love Stone over Kirby on Thor, and Sinnott over Kirby on FF was one of the best pencil and ink teams ever.

Scott Williams

I personally prefer Chic Stone and Frank Giacoia. Sinnot is great too since he could do both bold AND finesse. All these artists added a unique voice to Kirbys pencils without dominating (although I respect the opinion that Sinnot DID dominate a bit much at times). Ayers seemed more of a "do no harm" sort of inker, which is why Kirby purists might prefer his line. To me, his work lacked personality. Your opinion and mileage may vary.

Scott Williams

I also owned the Cap 108 cover and sold it for the same reason. I just don't hold onto pieces that don't please my eye. And, Shores inking just doesn't do it for me. But, I also put Ayers in that catagory only moreso. I have yet to own a Kirby piece inked by him that I could frame and hang and keep on the wall. And I have owned some doozies.... Historic yes, old, twiceup, some of my nostalgic favs, but for me, just something I can't look at everyday. Muddy and Scratchy.