• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC fair market value rules

38 posts in this topic

that's it I'm out :fear:

don't let the door hit you in the mister useless...

The point of my post was... if CGC can make quite a bit more money by uping the grades on your walk thru books by just a point or two, then maybe they would be swayed to do so. By giving your Spidey #1 a 9.4 instead of a 9.2 they just made themselves an extra grand. Multiply that by multiple high grade submissions and it could turn a days worth of grading your books and making 3 grand into 15 or twenty grand.

Big difference....

I don't think this is the case because they sure as hell don't knock the grades up on anything I submit. :frustrated:

I remember an article on the web where ComicLink and GPA were joining forces to establish market sales..

CLink wanted to report some of its results, not all of them. George told them it was all or nothing as only giving certain results could skew the data

Thank you for the clarification.

As far as the original post - I doubt CGC is going to change they way they view FMV just because a single person undoubtedly disagrees with the grades, or if CGC "bumps" a grade to make a grand.

Point in case, if your books gets graded higher, and you're able to make double of what it costs you to grade it, then why argue the system?

When filling out the submission form just put what you honestly think the book is worth. If CGC disagrees they will contact you. I have sent in quite a few big dollar books with no sales data to determine a FMV and I have found that they have always been open to discussion and suggestion.

If that doesn't work and you still disagree with their assessment...

...just start a thread :idea:

I remember an article on the web where ComicLink and GPA were joining forces to establish market sales..

CLink wanted to report some of its results, not all of them. George told them it was all or nothing as only giving certain results could skew the data

Thank you for the clarification.

As far as the original post - I doubt CGC is going to change they way they view FMV just because a single person undoubtedly disagrees with the grades, or if CGC "bumps" a grade to make a grand.

Point in case, if your books gets graded higher, and you're able to make double of what it costs you to grade it, then why argue the system?

"integrity"

You either have it....or you don't.

When filling out the submission form just put what you honestly think the book is worth. If CGC disagrees they will contact you. I have sent in quite a few big dollar books with no sales data to determine a FMV and I have found that they have always been open to discussion and suggestion.

:thumbsup: And argue every little detail about the grading methods.

I'm not talking about the mail in submission forms... that FMV that you list there is only for insurance purposes.. nothing more...I'm talking about walk thru service..in person...

If a big collection like say... Mound city.. comes through the doors CGC could make an extra 50 grand or so in one day simply by upping the FMV.. is the FMV determined BEFORE the book is slabbed or AFTER... if after they have a lot to gain in the long run by upping the FMV, IE the grade.. a LOT of $...

The truth is that CGC is not out there to rape everyone by bumping their submissions to only be able to charge you more.

If they were looking to chisel everyone based on FMV they'd be calling you guys a lot more often than they do.

How do I know?

Because I have submitted lots of books and they are relatively conservative in the amount of times that they call to bump you up.

Sure they will call you if it's warranted...say if you have a book submitted at $250 value on an express value tier and it ends up being an ASM #300 CGC 9.9 worth $5-10K. Then they might bump you to the walk through price, but if the book comes back at a borderline value, or just a little higher they are usually pretty easy going about that sort of thing.

I've had books come back well above the value allowed in the tier and only have them bump the tier slightly and some times not at all. They're good that way.

I'm not talking about the mail in submission forms... that FMV that you list there is only for insurance purposes.. nothing more...I'm talking about walk thru service..in person...

If a big collection like say... Mound city.. comes through the doors CGC could make an extra 50 grand or so in one day simply by upping the FMV.. is the FMV determined BEFORE the book is slabbed or AFTER... if after they have a lot to gain in the long run by upping the FMV, IE the grade.. a LOT of $...

After.

The FMV of the declared value is what is written down on the form if you "walk in" a collection. You still have to fill in a form, even when walking in to CGC. The declared value will be what YOU tell them it is.

They do this so that they know what to insure the books for in case of damage.

My understanding is that one of the reasons they have a stepped tier is for insurance coverage of the comics while they are in their possession.

After grading if the tier still deserves a bump it will get it.

And I'm also talking about walk-thru...in person...big collection...submissions.

CGC hasn't done what you are implying with any of my submissions.

And (not to brag but to make a point) I guarantee you I've submitted way more dollar value than Mound City.

CGC is probably more conservative on their grading in the Walk Thru Tier = the book has to really earn the grade. The census alone should prove they are not handing out 9.4's with ASM 1 or any other key books. With all due respect, this thread is ridiculous.

I'm not actually implying anything... just playing devils advocate here... )

It was just a question I had and wondered about. I mean in some books the difference in giving a book 9.0 and a 9.4, (or variation of) is the difference between them getting 150 bucks or 1500 bucks per submission if paid by FMV AFTER the book is slabbed.... I know someone will say 'they are a big company and dont need the extra 1350'... but if you multiple that times only 300 or so times a year that's an extra 400 thousand bucks.. not exatly chump change...

It was just a question I had and wondered about. I mean in some books the difference in giving a book 9.0 and a 9.4, (or variation of) is the difference between them getting 150 bucks or 1500 bucks per submission if paid by FMV AFTER the book is slabbed.... I know someone will say 'they are a big company and dont need the extra 1350'... but if you multiple that times only 300 or so times a year that's an extra 400 thousand bucks.. not exatly chump change...

As Mr. Bedrock said, just be honest. If you think its worth $150 then just put $150. they will call or call your attention if they think its not right. no biggie. so if you're submitting just put a conservative figure and they will not hold it against you.

Benz

You are correct that if they did it 300 times that would be an additional $400,000.

But if they got caught doing it once their company would be worth $0.

You are correct that if they did it 300 times that would be an additional $400,000.

Still be worth more than PGX (:

Still be worth more than PGX (:

lol