• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Um, Wizard World NJ?!?

31 posts in this topic

They went from cancelling half their shows to adding a new one every week it seems.

Wizard World Comic Con Tour:

March 26-28, 2010, Toronto Comic Con, Direct Energy Centre

April 16-18, 2010, Anaheim Comic Con, Anaheim Convention Center

June 11-13, 2010, Philadelphia Comic Con, Philadelphia Convention Center

August 19-22, 2010, Chicago Comic Con, Donald E. Stephens (Rosemont) Convention Center

October 7-10, 2010, Big Apple Comic Con, Pier 94

October 15-17, 2010, New Jersey Comic Con, New Jersey Convention and Expo Center

November 12-14, 2010, Austin Comic Con, Austin Convention Center

Atlanta Comic Con, TBD

New England Comic Con, TBD

I smell alot of empty dealer tables.

What a complete dope.

I wonder if the Jersey show will simply replace the NYC show?

Strange...although I don't know if dumb is the correct word.

Love it or hate it, the guy's built an empire. Dumb people just don't do that very well.

Love it or hate it, the guy's built an empire. Dumb people just don't do that very well.

I'd cite Paris Hilton as a prime example, but I honestly think she's a marketing genius.

As an FYI, the Toronto show is really exciting and if anyone is coming up let us know.

It'd be great to have a board presence from south of the border.

Linky

Empire of what?

Failing shows. :makepoint:

People need more than a week to refuel their bank funds, especially if you are keeping the show in the same tri-state area with mostly all the same people attending the shows.

Half of his shows will bomb, and will have dealers coming home depressed.

I'm all for having big shows in the North East. I would like them to be spaced out a little bit better though.

Plus with all these shows we might have conflictions with the World series.

Yankees vs Phillies Round 2

Empire of what?

John, I know what people need between shows. We all do.

I'm just trying to figure out why he'd do it as it does seem strange on the outside but there might be more to it...

His shows might be "failing" compared to Reed's in some regards, but if you're a vintage comic buyer WW shows are still pretty good for selection.

I've enjoyed every one I've ever been to.

Empire of what?

John, I know what people need between shows. We all do.

I'm just trying to figure out why he'd do it as it does seem strange on the outside but there might be more to it...

His shows might be "failing" compared to Reed's in some regards, but if you're a vintage comic buyer WW shows are still pretty good for selection.

I've enjoyed every one I've ever been to.

But usually the selection will not change 6 days later with the same dealers in the same area.

That’s my point.

I think it's clear that Gareb is looking for new revenue streams. His magazine empire is clearly shedding readers and may not be viable in the future. He needs to transition to a new revenue model (running more efficient conventions).

If he has enough conventions, he can justify having the permanent staff to run them.

It's also broadening his market from just comic book readers to people who attend a convention for movies or other segments of the comic industry. (Including cosplay, manga, toys, and other popular culture-related items.)

Maybe he's trying to usher in the new Golden Age of comic-carny-cons, where a dedicated group of comic dealers pack up and travel from town to town and set up each week to sell their wares. High Grade Comics becomes Corky's Comics; Harley Yee would be Harley's Tent 'o Bargains; and so on...

:insane: