• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using Ebay "Feedback Left For Others" to Increase Your Profile and Sales

118 posts in this topic

without commenting on the relative moral structure of the person who started this thread, my response upon seeing that sort of feedback would be to immediately suspect the person leaving the FB to be up to something nefarious, given that we are talking about eBay, after all.

Hi folks

I imagine this thread will generate some discussion.

Many of you are more than aware of the significance of Ebay feedback on your decision to buy and sell on Ebay. Although this strategy of mine (described below) was conceived back in the day when seller's could give NEGs, the overall concept still holds.

The idea is to use whatever means are at your disposal to improve your feedback profile in order to attract the highest possible bids from potential buyers.

One thing I notice is that sellers who have a reputation for selling high-end material are more likely to attract bids as compared to some Joe-shmoe selling the same thing.

Within the Feedback system, the one entity we have absolute (or near absolute) control over, is the feedback we can leave for others. As such, why not use that opportunity to "maximize" your own profile, by profiling yourself as the quintessential high-end item seller?

As a buyer, would you be additionally encouraged to buy a high-end item from someone who had allegedly sold the following:

No, I'd think you were an over-compensating twat.

You either have cajones or dropped on your head at birth for posting so openly, about a matter that does not come across in my opinion, "on the up & up," for lack of harsher words.

You don't seem to have an issue separating your shoulder blades patting yourself on the back that's for sure!

BTW, what name do you go by on eBay for future reference?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand blocked.

You won't be winning any of my auctions and I certainly won't be winning any of yours. I'd hate to accidentally become the billboard for a dishonest seller.

Let's hope he doesn't realise he can leave comments on feedback left for him, too.

He does realize it.

And your point?

My point now is you cannot recognise sarcasm, apparently.

Double-douchebaggery at it's finest.

-slym

As predicted, everyone rolled out their soapboxes.

Let's put some things in perspective.

This was a quasi "experiment" I did on my last range of Ebay sales. I admit the full extent of what I did. I manned-up and I have not tried to misrepresent what I did.

Do I concede the feedbacks left failed to properly represent the sales that took place. Yes.

Do I think what I did was right? Not necessarily.

Do I think what I did was wrong? No.

Ebay is a private company (not a governmental organization, nor any type of entity with some type of legal authority) and my profile exists because users who access its website are automatically given a profile that develops as they continue to use the site.

The feedback system Ebay developed has evolved in a way that has led to the existence of some profiles being "better" than others. I made my profile other than what it "should" (by convention) be. Within the context of how profiles are viewed on Ebay, my unorthodox behavior makes my profile "better" than what it would otherwise be. And therefore, what?

Keep in mind that the reputation of my profile has absolutely no accountability, and is accountable to no one. Not me, not Ebay, no one. It is not like, say, a university transcript where a university must make the grades it issues defensible, nor like a driver's license, that implies a minimum ability to drive.

My profile is simply a fabrication that exists in the realm of a private corporation.

What is, and what is the source of the onus and responsibility people feel towards this private entity?

If the private corporation has an issue with the way you manipulate a part of the site that they give you control over, then they will take action as they see fit. They have not taken any action against me.

Now, to deal with your specific concerns:

(and BTW - I sold all my slabs years ago - so the few of you who blocked me - feel important that you did, but really, it's not that important)

So, the buyers pay quickly, leave you positive feedback & then you leave advertising as your feedback for others........................that blows! doh!

I have given 146 feedbacks, and received 111 of them in return. If you any of you are accusing me of holding feedback hostage, then you are guilty of libel.

No, I'd think you were an over-compensating twat.

It's funny how some small-minded folks, when presented with ideas outside of the box, simply attack the person who introduced the idea.

Nobody reads buyer feedbacks GIVEN by sellers, but in the new EBay world, lots of sellers read the "Feedback Left for Others" to make sure the bid is not from a Neg-happy psycho, as EBay actually encourages this anti-social "hammer the sellers" behavior.

Exactly. Rule of thumb: if you are trying to avoid a negative experience on Ebay, "feedback received" is grossly over-rated. You want to avoid those who only issue negs.

robojo does this on his feedbacks. he leaves a response to the feedback left for him describing what he sold and for how much. seems to work for him, but then again he's a convicted felon who lies cheats and steals!

Well, the "convicted felon" part is a pretty significant and demonstrably objective difference between his behavior and mine.

without commenting on the relative moral structure of the person who started this thread, my response upon seeing that sort of feedback would be to immediately suspect the person leaving the FB to be up to something nefarious, given that we are talking about eBay, after all.

I cam across someone who left feedback like this and also had all his auctions marked as private. I decided not to bid because of it.

These are fair. Thank you for your comments.

So, in other words, deceipt is the name of your game.

I'm not deceiving anyone by exposing this for everyone to read.

You either have cajones or dropped on your head at birth for posting so openly, about a matter that does not come across in my opinion, "on the up & up," for lack of harsher words.

Well - as I said - why the onus on anyone to so adamantly apply their sense of ethics to the online user profiles of a proprietary website?

Like - if you can see through the smoke, I'm making a mockery of it.

Lots of folks portray themselves as cooler than they really are on FB. Do you have an issue with this type of behavior?

Double-douchebaggery at it's finest.

-slym

Double-douchebaggery. Wow - you're so gnarly.

BTW.

Some of you "newer" folks who haven't seen too much on this site, seem to be the first ones to criticize my behavior.

The only neg I have ever given, was to some bloke who makes Danny Dupcak look like Mother Theresa.

In doing so, I put my profile at risk of a retaliatory neg. I had nothing at all to gain from this action, but for the sake of what was right, I did it.

I negged Rustysstarwars

Before calling me a crook, I'd like to know if any of you folks would have chosen to do the same thing.

WOW! You're a genius! . . . meh

:gossip: I'm shocked you're not a "powerseller" :sumo:

:roflmao:

Hey, for what it's worth, I think it's fun.

Whatever blows your skirt up . . . but it's obviously had no impact on your sales or your profile zzz