• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this look trimmed to you?

15 posts in this topic

This is a book I saw online. I've pixillated most of the cover because I don't want to krap on someone's sale by suggesting anything's possibly wrong.

I generally have no clue about trimming, don't really know what to look for but I'm trying to learn how to spot it (it's what I fear most from raw Ebay). This one looked to me like perhaps it was? Curious for opinions from others with better grading skills (ie: anybody).

I know this is a small scan, but it's what was available.

web.jpg

PS If this book does belong to you and you feel this post is a problem, pm me and I will remove.

Hard to say for sure, but the top and right edge are very clean for a book with as much perimeter wear as I can see on the rest of the book. It's suspicious.

Thank you, that's what I was seeing as well. Makes me feel like I'm at least starting to get a sense of it...

I think it would be hard to spot a trim job from a scan. However, agree with the other posts that the top edge does look nice compared to the rest of the book. Also, seen on other posts that its not always best to judge a trim from other books of the same period since the printing was not an exact science back in the day. (shrug)

This is a book I saw online. I've pixillated most of the cover because I don't want to krap on someone's sale by suggesting anything's possibly wrong.

I generally have no clue about trimming, don't really know what to look for but I'm trying to learn how to spot it (it's what I fear most from raw Ebay). This one looked to me like perhaps it was? Curious for opinions from others with better grading skills (ie: anybody).

I know this is a small scan, but it's what was available.

web.jpg

PS If this book does belong to you and you feel this post is a problem, pm me and I will remove.

I kept looking at this and wondering why the hell it's taking so long to load that image.... :insane:

Plenty of space to the right of the cap insignia on the top right, Plenty of room to the left of the price circle. The bindary on the top left seems right where it's not even with the binding cut. From the top edge wear seems like it goes above the pages. Lots of Red space on top of Captain America. Seems proportionate even with the spine roll. Looks pretty even. MY GUESS. Not trimmed.

:takeit:

I generally have no clue about trimming, don't really know what to look for but I'm trying to learn how to spot it (it's what I fear most from raw Ebay). This one looked to me like perhaps it was?

If it were me, I would go to the Heritage archives and look up every copy of this comic that has ever sold. Look carefully at the scans and note the distance between figures on the cover art and the edges of the paper. (Allow for some variation for books that were bound/folded in slightly different ways.)

Compare and contrast. It's much more useful than speculating based on one example.

I generally have no clue about trimming, don't really know what to look for but I'm trying to learn how to spot it (it's what I fear most from raw Ebay). This one looked to me like perhaps it was?

If it were me, I would go to the Heritage archives and look up every copy of this comic that has ever sold. Look carefully at the scans and note the distance between figures on the cover art and the edges of the paper. (Allow for some variation for books that were bound/folded in slightly different ways.)

Compare and contrast. It's much more useful than speculating based on one example.

This methodology is pointless . . . unless, of course, you find the exact same book. :grin:

This methodology is pointless . . . unless, of course, you find the exact same book. :grin:

Countless people have detected trimming by comparing to other books. Obviously it won't be exactly the same for every book. If one comic's edge is different from the other, you can look at the opposite edge and see if the same length is added on one side to where it's missing on the other side. If you have comparable books in front of you, you can take measurements as well. So I fail to see why it's "pointless." Not perfect, of course, but not pointless.

Countless people have detected trimming by comparing to other books. Obviously it won't be exactly the same for every book. If one comic's edge is different from the other, you can look at the opposite edge and see if the same length is added on one side to where it's missing on the other side. If you have comparable books in front of you, you can take measurements as well. So I fail to see why it's "pointless." Not perfect, of course, but not pointless.

There are also "countless" posts on why this doesn't indicate anything. Production standards were poor and printed results were highly variable, particularly with GA books. Unless the book in question was "hacked" comparing edge art, and measurements is an inconclusive pursuit.