• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,536 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2021 at 7:52 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Yeah will stick with the other thread just get excited with X-Men 1 and a few others I really like.

the other thread is not needed. this is where discussion of xmen 1 belongs, including sales prices along with all other subjects related to xmen1. just because some boardie bullies yelled at you about it, i still don't see any need for that other thread. 

On 12/19/2021 at 11:25 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

I sure hope so.  I overpaid for an x-men 1 CGC 4.0 earlier this year.  

Until and unless you actually cash out during your lifetime on your book you won't know if you've overpaid or not - the huge difference, however, between today's escalating prices and years past is that it intuitively feels like a balloon is developing now with IG being a continuous never-ending echo-chamber  :cheers:.  As entry level prices on blue chippers become increasingly prohibitive for the vast majorly - :flamed: there becomes a much smaller class of collectors, who can afford to own such a big book and in turn might get turned off by the hobby :Rocket:.  I know as I write this I could never start collecting keys now like I did not so long ago and thus I wouldn't even be involved with comics if I were starting off.  Prices were insanely high earlier this year and have plateaued since on a lot of keys - I think that trend continues but for the occasional spikes when a movie is announced.  In the end it really isn't fun to collect keys unless your wallet is deep as opposed to owning a slew of keys already - in which case you can post your keys online with bragging rights and statements like "I paid this ... look at me." :yeehaw:.  my 2-cents :preach:

Edited by Roger66

On 12/19/2021 at 3:53 PM, alexgross.com said:

the other thread is not needed. this is where discussion of xmen 1 belongs, including sales prices along with all other subjects related to xmen1. just because some boardie bullies yelled at you about it, i still don't see any need for that other thread. 

I agree, the other thread is not needed. (thumbsu

However, Batmanis#1 is the person that created the other thread "so people can discuss (auctions and prices realized) here instead of on the main topics for each book", and then he posts the same thing talking about the auction/prices in both threads! So...it's a bit hypocritical and he should delete the other thread.

Edited by drbanner

On 12/19/2021 at 8:12 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

There are simply not many in 9.0 and higher wish I had purchased a 9.0 or higher when I had the chance but I did not. X-Men 1 in 9.2 or higher rarely ever come up for sale some times not even once in a full year or close to it. So the bidders know if they miss it they will have to pay more down the road or possibly never own such a high grade. Same for all mega keys in certain grades in the SA.

The hot book now is Hulk 1.

Hulk 1 is :Rocket:.  I passed up a chance to buy Hulk 1 CGC 6.5 for $26k two years ago.  Now worth at least double that.   

On 12/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

It was in line with prices.  This sold on Heritage around that time.  

3D0580B9-504C-41A0-8DA1-243BF6199C13.png

That $27.6K was the low in 2019.  Only 4 sales that year:  May 6: $30356; August 1: $37200; August 1: $36000; and then this $27600 in November 2019.  So it was actually a $36-$37K book, as approximated by Sweet Lou, before the $27.6K outliter in November.  Next recorded sale was over $50K in 2021.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 12/23/2021 at 10:10 AM, Pantodude said:

That $27.6K was the low in 2019.  Only 4 sales that year:  May 6: $30356; August 1: $37200; August 1: $36000; and then this $27600 in November 2019.  So it was actually a $36-$37K book before the $27.6K outliter in November, as noted by Sweet Lou.  Next recorded sale was over $50K in 2021.  

Not every deal or offer is recorded.  This was a private sale offer.  

But thanks for correcting me.  Obviously I’m wrong and the internet is right. 

On 12/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, blazingbob said:

Naturally GPA is the only data source.

I sold multiple 6.5's in 2018 for $35K.  I sold 6.5's for $33K back in 2017.

I use both GPA and gocollect.  I just like the interface better on Gocollect.  Not sure what the point is, as GPA shows the $27k sale as well in November 2019.  

Anyways I missed out on buying it.  Oh well.  Happy holidays!

89E18FE5-A986-4B02-8E20-D2762E61AF8B.png

On 12/23/2021 at 11:17 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Not every deal or offer is recorded.  This was a private sale offer.  

I wonder what the relative share of sales of big keys is for private vs what we learn from GPA/GoCollect.  I wish we could learn private sales data more often, especially for books with relatively few data points, like IH#1, Showcase #4, etc, or even just when it disagrees with contemporaneous auction house/eBay results.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 12/23/2021 at 2:59 PM, Pantodude said:

I wonder what the relative share of sales of big keys is for private vs what we learn from GPA/GoCollect.  I wish we could learn private sales data more often, especially for books with relatively few data points, like IH#1, Showcase #4, etc, or even just when it disagrees with contemporaneous auction house/eBay results.  

I can tell you, over the last 4 or 5 years, I've had very very few public sales. Less than 5 with the big auctions and I'll pick up a book on eBay from time to time. 

All my big purchases have been through the boards, with established dealers and I've actually had a good amount of luck locally.  

I don't know if everyone is like me, but I imagine with the rise of Instagram and FB, a large % of sales aren't captured.