• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, Pantodude said:

So good deals can still be had.  That's good, right? To provide a little more information, the last three sales of a blue 7.5 were 1/14/22 White (dark-green cover) for $66K; 1/31/22 Off-White for $75K (light-green cover; matching all-time high); and this 2/14/22 White (dark-green cover) for $63K, a 16% drop.  Significant, but I blame recent market jitters and expect it's temporary.  The $75K record had previously been set in May for an OW/W (dark-green cover), which was followed in November by a $55200 sale for an OW/W (dark-green cover) before those three sales in 2022.   So those were the 5 most-recent sales of a 7.5, as far as I know.   

The recent 1/31/22 record-tying $75K sale was the light-green version, which should interest those who subscribe to the dark-green vs light-green cover debate (I don't and think both are fine). 

Thanks for putting that together. Considering that GPA on the 7.5 was $30k 12-months ago [ $29.5k (Dec 2020) and $30.0k (Feb 2021) ], the book has still had a great 12-months. I agree with you that it has leveled off over the last 6 months. I think that a person could find a deal in this market. Much better than last summer. 

On 2/24/2022 at 5:05 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

My guess he wanted near is buy it now price of nearly 400k. Highest offer was 260k. He will eventually get his 400k just not at the moment the book in that grade is a max 275k book maybe 300k if white pages. My guess he will be happy it did not sell if he holds long term. Once they join the MCU my guess it will be a 500k book.

My gut feeling on this book in 9.2 will max out near 750k in the next 5 to 10 years but that is just a gut felling. Could be more could be less will see.

Man do I wish you would put your money where your mouth is on this stuff.

On 2/24/2022 at 5:16 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

What is the problem I said it was a gut feeling nothing more.

It's not a problem, it's just that you hype certain books endlessly, and I'm just saying if you really believe that X-Men #1 will triple in value in the next five years, above and beyond the immense growth it's already had, then you should get out there and buy as many copies you can afford in whatever grades you can afford.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but let's be clear here that when interest rates rise - big collectibles will more than likely come under serious selling pressure.  It's quite possible these books might correct 10-50%, no one knows....let's just focus on collecting these books and try not to spend too much on the price fluctuations.  

On 2/25/2022 at 8:28 AM, spreads said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but let's be clear here that when interest rates rise - big collectibles will more than likely come under serious selling pressure.  It's quite possible these books might correct 10-50%, no one knows....let's just focus on collecting these books and try not to spend too much on the price fluctuations.  

I was just reading an article that said the exact opposite.  It said with the rising Russia-Ukraine escalations and high inflation, which can be bad for stock markets, some investors are retreating to "safe haven assets" like bonds, gold, art.  I would think that collectibles such as comics belong in that category as well, correct me if I am wrong.  

On 2/25/2022 at 11:21 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

I was just reading an article that said the exact opposite.  It said with the rising Russia-Ukraine escalations and high inflation, which can be bad for stock markets, some investors are retreating to "safe haven assets" like bonds, gold, art.  I would think that collectibles such as comics belong in that category as well, correct me if I am wrong.  

Inflation is at 4.9% (where I live in Canada), so there is potential inflationary pressure - but we've already seen the affects of inflation (CPI, housing, collectibles, etc.), which is why they need to raise interest rates.  Bonds actually have an inverse relationship to interest rates, equities too.  If raising rates does not curb inflation, then yes prices will increase - but it might not increase on a real (after inflation) basis.  If rate increases curb inflation, and discretionary income and in-debted households start suffering from the rise in monthly mortgage payments - selling comics will be the first thing to happen for people struggling to make ends meet.   The point is, no one knows what will happen, but let's not put all our eggs into comics which should never be treated as an investment in the first place (at least not in lieu of other investible asset classes like housing, equities, bonds, etc.)

On 3/9/2022 at 8:50 AM, Wolverinex said:

Right in line with current GPA averages. 

On 3/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, SuperBird said:

Right in line with current GPA averages. 

I didn’t think it was a good looking copy honestly. The chipping kept me from bidding. As you said though SuperBird, in line with GPA. I mistakenly thought it would sell for less though because of the chipping.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:30 PM, FormerReader said:

I didn’t think it was a good looking copy honestly. The chipping kept me from bidding. As you said though SuperBird, in line with GPA. I mistakenly thought it would sell for less though because of the chipping.

It was well-centered, with clean front/back cover, bright (unfaded) colors, and minimal chipping. Looked nice enough to the bidders, apparently. Not surprised it did well.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 3/9/2022 at 4:17 PM, Pantodude said:

It was well-centered, with clean front/back cover, bright (unfaded) colors, and minimal chipping. Looked nice enough to the bidders, apparently. Not surprised it did well.  

ya after seeing the comments I was expecting much worse before checking it out myself. Marvel chipping isn't so bad, and it looks pretty nice overall to me.

On 3/9/2022 at 4:17 PM, Pantodude said:

I never said it wasn’t any of those things. However minimal chipping to you does not mean the same thing to me. There are plenty of other copies to choose from and no need to settle.

On 3/9/2022 at 2:26 PM, FormerReader said:

I never said it wasn’t any of those things. However minimal chipping to you does not mean the same thing to me. There are plenty of other copies to choose from and no need to settle.

you were correct, it's got quite a bit of unsightly chipping on the front right side, top, and worst of all, top corner. also tanning around the edges, esp on the back. many collectors now just go for the label, not the book. and xmen1 has been in high demand for quite some time. but if i were in the market for this grade, i too would have held out for a better presenting copy.