• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,536 posts in this topic

I have been presented a 4.0 restored #1 and guy wants $800 for it.

It's so hard to pull the trigger.

There are plenty of unrestored copies. For a tad more than 2X that amount, you can get an unrestored 4.0. For a fraction more, you can get a 3.0 or 3.5 unrestored.

Play the disinterested card and i bet you can get the restored 4.0 for less.

How long has 2 9.8's been on the census?

The first 9.8 was slabbed in 2001? and the 2nd in 2004

the census has increased significantly for 8.5 and up

2 years ago, there were 6 copies at 9.4, now there are freaking 12 copies. Is it a wonder that the last two slabbed 9.4 couldn't crack $100k?

no doubt some of those additional 6 copies of 9.4 are 9.2 and 9.0 books that have been pressed up.

the census showed a decline of 15 copies of 9.0 to 12 copies of 9.0 over the same time the 9.4 jumped by 6 copies.

the 9.2 also see a declined from 14 to 12 copies over the same time frame.

as big of an X-men fan as I am having a complete run from 2 to 143, I am happy to wait for a nice copy that dances to my eyes before I own another #1

2 years ago, there were 6 copies at 9.4, now there are freaking 12 copies. Is it a wonder that the last two slabbed 9.4 couldn't crack $100k?

I think it's still a decent price realized for the book. It seems like more than a few 9.4s (and one 9.6) have changed hands in the last three years. And that has to limit the potential buyers pool for the book. Also, Bob Storms has two 9.4s currently listed on his website. I suspect prices will creep back up after all these 9.4s get absorbed into collections. Although that might take some time.

Well here's my copy again after a few years (but never posted in this thread).

Showed it to Bob Storms a few years back and he opined that he could see nothing keeping from a 9.0 (but what does he know ;) ). Ran a poll in the grading Forum and the concensus average grade was an 8.7, as I recall.

One of a handful of comics that never made it to Sid's Luncheonette, so I found this in a Candy store on Main Street in Chatham, NJ while i was working summers for a Rug Cleaning oufit. (Oddly enough I was never able to locate a copy of Avengers 1 which came out the same month... :cry:).

X-men1.jpg

I think that Lunch cost me a few bucks :)

Considering what the resale value was I think you should have been paying... (thumbs u

Hey I hear you're heading over to London in February. Is this your first time there for a Con??