• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

I love Magneto. And the X-men. I grew up as a kid in the 90's and like most, loved the cartoon and the second series. I collected every comic from second series 1-113 (worth next to nothing for each now) but at least I made up for it with this ;)

This is the third copy ive owned. I had a comic with 1/3 of the cover i got for 20 bux at my local comic shop. Sold that a got a (yuck) pgx 2. Sold that and finally got something i can be proud of now :) Theres my story, heres the comic I should have in my hands tomorrow:

x1.jpg

PS sorry if i outbid anyone on the forum :(

I love Magneto. And the X-men. I grew up as a kid in the 90's and like most, loved the cartoon and the second series. I collected every comic from second series 1-113 (worth next to nothing for each now) but at least I made up for it with this ;)

This is the third copy ive owned. I had a comic with 1/3 of the cover i got for 20 bux at my local comic shop. Sold that a got a (yuck) pgx 2. Sold that and finally got something i can be proud of now :) Theres my story, heres the comic I should have in my hands tomorrow:

x1.jpg

:mad: on not winning this... :sorry:

:applause: congrats though, excellent copy!

x1.jpg

Nice :applause:

x1.jpg

Anybody have an estimate how many X-men #1 still exist?

hm

x1.jpg

Anybody have an estimate how many X-men #1 still exist?

hm

A lot.

Yeah definitely a lot! There's probably couple hundred

There are over 2,500 on the census. I would bet there are at least 5 times that raw and that may be way too conservative.

There are probably only a couple hundred that are high grade. Currently only 57 in VF/NM or better on the census, but I could see that number jumping to 200+ if private collections were known.

Yeah, a couple hundred in your garage maybe.

There are most likely over 15,000 (conservatively).

So probably only Daredevil #1 is easiest to get as a Marvel silver age key?

hm

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Yeah, a couple hundred in your garage maybe.

There are most likely over 15,000 (conservatively).

So probably only Daredevil #1 is easiest to get as a Marvel silver age key?

hm

:gossip:

"easy" being the relative term

I think of Marvel Silver Key issues more like "have money, can own."

Speaking of just the true pre-65 keys. I think the order is something like this from most copies on census to least:

DD1, X1, ASM1, AV1, AF15, TOS39, FF1, JIM83, IH1 and TTA27

Now, this doesn't give a true picture of "rarity", as there are only 373 copies of TTA27 on census vs over 2K for DD1. As far as scarcity goes, TTA27 and IH1 lead the pack by a wide margin. And even they are "available".

Speaking of just the true pre-65 keys. I think the order is something like this from most copies on census to least:

Now, this doesn't give a true picture of "rarity", as there are only 373 copies of TTA27 on census vs over 2K for DD1. As far as scarcity goes, TTA27 and IH1 lead the pack by a wide margin. And even they are "available".

I used to collect sports cards. Trust me, these comics aren't rare. Pretty much anytime you want to buy one, you can, at any low to mid (even some higher) grades. Now the values and pricing are another thing, but the comics are readily available if you're willing to spend.

Some sports cards on the other hand are truly "rare". I went 8 years looking for a specific card and never found it, still haven't. There are quite a few cards numbered to 100 copies or less. The ones out of 5 and 10 are truly difficult to locate, and after a year or two from release become near impossible.

Scarcity in comics (from the SA anyways) doesn't really exist except if you are looking for very, very high grades.

I used to collect sports cards. Trust me, these comics aren't rare. Pretty much anytime you want to buy one, you can, at any low to mid (even some higher) grades. Now the values and pricing are another thing, but the comics are readily available if you're willing to spend.

Some sports cards on the other hand are truly "rare". I went 8 years looking for a specific card and never found it, still haven't. There are quite a few cards numbered to 100 copies or less. The ones out of 5 and 10 are truly difficult to locate, and after a year or two from release become near impossible.

Scarcity in comics (from the SA anyways) doesn't really exist except if you are looking for very, very high grades.

Agree 100%. And I'd go a step further to qualify that to Super-hero Marvel. There are no "rare" silver-age marvel comics. If you want it, you can get it, if you have the cash. DCs are much tougher pre-61. But not impossible. GA is another animal entirely... I've been looking for an All Select 4 for about 5 years now. Nothing has crossed my path even remotely in my price range. Only seen TWO copies for sale period. Both were high-grade.