• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A wise buy

30 posts in this topic

Advice needed from comic market experts.

I am looking for a nice silver age key; now, which one to buy? Something like Avengers 4, ASM 50, maybe Avengers 1 or similar. I am looking for mid grade (5.0/6.0) copies between $500-$750. An old dream is also a nice copy of Superman 76, not SA, but an important key IMO.

Avengers 4 could be perfect, but I think is maybe too in demand right now, or do you think it will keep rising? I am planning this like an investment buy, so I am looking for a comic with strong perspective in terms of future value.

Thanks for sharing your advice.

I think JIM 83 has tremendous up-side...and if movie does well May 2010 will only add to it's popularity/value...

Everyone seems to think AV1 and AV4 are to a degree under-valued but as you say AV4 has been hot as of late...

I don't see ASM 50 rising significantly unless you're talking 9.4 and up...

If I were buying anything investment-wise right now, especially for the short-term, I'd be hoarding TOS 39 to about the mid-50s...maybe to about issue 63 in HG! I'd snap up any 39s in just about any condition...40 is very hard to come by in HG...these are going to spike heavily this summer with the movie sequel IMO...

Good luck!

:wishluck:

5.0 / 6.0 is probably the worst grade for SA investment. 8.0 or better is where you should be looking....more expensive, but you'll be glad you did. If you absolutely don't want high grade, a sharp 3.0 with white pages, good color, no chipping, and no tape might work. Hulk 1 is a good one, also ST 110. TOS 39 also. Unfortunately, you will probably need 1000-1500 for this market, but well worth saving for or maybe selling a couple of books. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You really don't have a lot of cash to play with for these types of books. Sure, you could be looking at very low grade copies of "some" SA Marvels but to be truthful, you should be willing to tripple or quadruple that figure to be worth your while as an investment. So, put that idea on the backburner until you've saved up 3-5k and rethink your position. (thumbs u BUT, if you have only $700 or so to spend, I'd recommend TOS #58 or #59. You could have one in 8.0-9.0 easily....for now.

Buy Our army at war 81 mid grade- will run double guide but worth it- only 28 copies in cgc 4.0 or higher. I have one.

Better still, be patient and wait for a nice Our Army at War #83 to appear... it's widely considered to be the first 'true' Sgt. Rock appearance, and it will overtake #81 in Overstreet pricing very soon. Already, it fetches more $$$ than #81 among collectors in the know, and it's a much tougher book to find in grade than 81. If you can find one in 6.0 or above, that's a real nice book to sit on until they make the Sgt. Rock movie, probably in 2012.

Shep

I have to agree that a Dr. Strange Movie down the road would do wonders to the currently undervalued run.

Other than that....possibly Sgt. Fury 1-20....a cool war fury movie would cross over to a ton of genres.

Strange Tales 115 and 110 are wonderful books but I don't think Dr. Strange will ever be a first tier character.

JIM 83, Avengers 4 or TOS 39 would be my vote for affordable, long term, increasing in value Marvel keys. Thor, Captain America and Iron Man are top flight characters.

I also think it is about time that a Flash movie gets made. First rate DC character that is off the radar. Showcase 4 if you can afford it.

Thank you guys, very helpfull. Unfortunally some keys (Showcase 4, TOS 39, JIM 83) are out of my range. And I agreed Dr Strange is maybe undervalued, but not a class A character. I was thinking about TOS 58 and 59, like some of you pointed. I think those have room to grow; I am pretty sure the Cap movie or the Avengers movie will have a spectacular Cap vs Iron Man scene, and I saw they already sell for more than guide (on Comiclink a 58 CGC 9.2 sold for $2300, this is X3 guide.

How about FF 5 ?

I saw a 4.0 go for $500 fairly recently on the boards, which I thought was a steal.

$750 might not get you to 5.0 unless you find a great deal, but if I you found that deal I think it would make a solid investment.

That's not a bad suggestion at all. Based on recent prices being paid for it in higher grades, it seems like collectors are finally starting to recognize that it ranks up with the top SA Marvel keys, but in that light is still undervalued.

ASM 3 would be a decent choice as well.

The problem I have with the Spideys is that they are pretty common in mid-grade. If you are buying them for investment purposes, I don't see a 6.0 Spidey going dramatically up in value any time soon.

I guess it depends on what you pay initially though. If you can get a good deal on an ASM 14, I don't see you losing money over the long haul. It's always in demand, it just has plenty of supply to meet that demand.

Instead of ASM 50 maybe a 14 might be more worthy of your money. Hulk + Green Goblin

Buy Our army at war 81 mid grade- will run double guide but worth it- only 28 copies in cgc 4.0 or higher. I have one.

Better still, be patient and wait for a nice Our Army at War #83 to appear... it's widely considered to be the first 'true' Sgt. Rock appearance, and it will overtake #81 in Overstreet pricing very soon. Already, it fetches more $$$ than #81 among collectors in the know, and it's a much tougher book to find in grade than 81. If you can find one in 6.0 or above, that's a real nice book to sit on until they make the Sgt. Rock movie, probably in 2012 which, hopefully, will NEVER happen.

Shep

Fixed that for you, Shep! hm